Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Zodiac LM3-24
Hello,

I'm hopefully finishing up my first SLAM tomorrow. Sorry for so many questions below but...

I found algae underneath a couple steps and in the lights. I removed steps from the ladder and soaked in bleach mix, scrubbed and soaked. But ... The worst step still has a browny/greeny stain in some areas underneath. Also, the two that had algae are powdery to touch now that they are dry. I've left them in the sun to dry off but should I put them right back in the pool during SLAM? Should I replace if powdery? Are they more likely to have algae return if powdery and stain remains?

Also, I'm removing the rust from the ladder from around the bolt holes. Hard to scrub all the rust out of the threads and nuts, should I just get new bolts/washers/nuts?

The plastic spacers that go in each hole are damaged/cracked are they needed if I put the steps back?

I can't seem to get the rust out of the plastic steps that were stained.

Should I be worried about the inside of the ladder rusting around the holes? I don't know how I could remove it in there, or protect it. Is there such a thing as pool ladder anodes or protect from rusting?

Sorry for the list of questions. ? Thanks for any help in advance.

Unfortunately, once the poles and parts of a ladder/steps begin to rust, it's very hard to stop it. You may find it more practical (both time & money) to simply replace the ladder. Rust-eaten metal will continue to degrade as soon as it goes back in the water. Not only can it be suceptible to algae because it will be porous, but you may be adding iron to the water which is never good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.