Pool kit question

nafreire

Jul 15, 2021
toronto,ontario, canada
I have been on the hunt for a good Taylor kit but it’s very hard to find them in Canada for under $200 plus shipping. What I can find is a Taylor K1004. I was thinking of picking one up and also taking water every two weeks to my local pool store. Do you think this will be enough? My local pool store uses some device that spins the water and prints out a report. Are these devices accurate? What do other pool owners that live in Canada do?

My local pool store uses some device that spins the water and prints out a report. Are these devices accurate?
Not. At. All. They particurally get the CYA wrong which is the most important value to know.

This was working great last season

Not. At. All. They particurally get the CYA wrong which is the most important value to know.

This was working great last season
Perfect. What options should I be ordering for the kit?

The smart stir is included in the TF-100 pro, which also has a really nice case. If only getting the basic TF-100, add the smart stir. It is hands down the best $35(?) you can spend on your pool.

The XL option is great for newbs and a neccessity for anyone doing a SLAM as both will be testing alot more for a while.

Both kinds of test strips arent needed.

The Ph meter is a neat toy if you are into gadgets

The sample sizer works amazing to measure water, but by overflowing the vial which makes a mess. It couldn't be easier to grab 10ml or 25ml with the included squirt bottle, so pass on this too unless you like having all the toys.

The sample testing solution is neat so you can see how known water tests, but we have walked 1000s of people through how to test, so you don't need it.

The smart stir is included in the TF-100 pro, which also has a really nice case. If only getting the basic TF-100, add the smart stir. It is hands down the best $35(?) you can spend on your pool.

The XL option is great for newbs and a neccessity for anyone doing a SLAM as both will be testing alot more for a while.

Both kinds of test strips arent needed.

The Ph meter is a neat toy if you are into gadgets

The sample sizer works amazing to measure water, but by overflowing the vial which makes a mess. It couldn't be easier to grab 10ml or 25ml with the included squirt bottle, so pass on this too unless you like having all the toys.

The sample testing solution is neat so you can see how known water tests, but we have walked 1000s of people through how to test, so you don't need it.
Do I need anything for salt? Or is the reading on the SWG accurate?

need anything for salt
Yes. The K-1766 kit. It comes in the TF-pro *salt, or order it as an extra with the basic TF-100.
Or is the reading on the SWG accurate
The unit is very inaccurate. You will get it to where it needs to be with your kit. After that, you can't argue with the cell, even when you know better. So as long as the cell is happy (producing FC), you leave it be and do not micromanage.

Yes. The K-1766 kit. It comes in the TF-pro *salt, or order it as an extra with the basic TF-100.

The unit is very inaccurate. You will get it to where it needs to be with your kit. After that, you can't argue with the cell, even when you know better. So as long as the cell is happy (producing FC), you leave it be and do not micromanage.
Thanks for the help. Just submitted my order for the PRO kit.

Reactions: Newdude
Phew. Just making sure. (y)

You neglected the + salt part 2 posts up.

Keep us posted, 1 so we can root for you and 2 so we know it's still a viable northern shipping method.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Phew. Just making sure. (y)

You neglected the + salt part 2 posts up.

Keep us posted, 1 so we can root for you and 2 so we know it's still a viable northern shipping method.
Just successfully received my Kit instructions above. Ordered it on May 2, and it was ready to pick up in Toronto on May 8th. Do we have any videos posted on how to use the Pro kit?

Reactions: Newdude
Great! See Recommended Levels
What does the water look like?
Start with some FC to get to 3-4 ppm FC. Maintain that every day.
Then 30 ppm CYA worth of granular CYA added using the sock method.

Once things settle, get your salt levels correct, start the SWCG, and raise your CYA to 60 ppm.

Great! See Recommended Levels
What does the water look like?
Start with some FC to get to 3-4 ppm FC. Maintain that every day.
Then 30 ppm CYA worth of granular CYA added using the sock method.

Once things settle, get your salt levels correct, start the SWCG, and raise your CYA to 60 ppm.
Water looks clear, but I think I have had it better earlier in the week. For the 30ppm CYA, is that stabilizer?

Read Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
You turn OFF the SWCG for the test. Running the pump is fine.
I decided to start with a SLAM just to make sure. My FC is currently at 12.5 and 12 is the SLAM level. For my CC, below is what I get after adding the 5 drops of R-0003. Adding one drop of the R-0871 will turn it clear which puts me at 0.5 CC. Is this good enough? Or should I keep going until it stays clear after adding the R-0003.

1652794349295.jpeg

A CC of less than 1 is acceptable.
During the SLAM process, no need to do the CC test except on the morning test of an OCLT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.