Pool is filling now, wanting to be prepared!

mcuffe0234

Jun 8, 2021
Minnesota
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there!
I tried to see if this was posted already and in the pool school but could find it, so I apologize in advance.
We just installed our 18x52 Intex above ground pool. We have a sand filter and SWG.
From my understanding, once the pool is filled, I’ll test the water, put in salt according to what I need, let the pump run for 24hrs to dissolve salt and then turn on the SWG. Is that when I test again and add the of the chemicals I need to get the levels up/down?

As soon as the pool is full you should let the water mix for short 30 min then test all levels. You can expect a zero CYA, so get a sock soaking with stabilizer for a CYA goal of 70. Add liquid chlorine today for an FC target of 2-3 ppm. Get the salt in there too. Tomorrow maintain an FC of around 4-5 ppm and turn on the swg. Monitor for FC production. Oh, and balance the pH right away in the 7 range. That should get you going.

Last edited:
Reactions: clambert1273
As soon as they pool is full you should let the water mix for short 30 min then test all levels. You can expect a zero CYA, so get a sock soaking with stabilizer for a CYA goal of 70. Add liquid chlorine today for an FC target of 2-3 ppm. Get the salt in there too. Tomorrow maintain an FC of around 4-5 ppm and turn on the swg. Monitor for FC production. Oh, and balance the pH right away in the 7 range. That should get you going.
This is absolutely perfect!!! Thank you so much!

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is probably a silly question, but while the water is mixing, can I use the skimmer to clean all the garbage that’s been falling into it while filling? Can I also use the vacuum? Or should I wait until all levels are up?
You can operate like normal as long as your actual water level isn't below skimmer

I always add liquid chlorine while it is filling to make sure algae can't get a hold. And a little CYA helps protect the chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.