Gold Supporter
May 15, 2019
Bridgewater, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
There is no right BTU heater for a pool.

A larger heater will heat the pool faster then a smaller heater. Both a large and a small heater will use the same amount of gas to heat the pool to a given temperature. The large heater will use the gas in less time. The smaller heater will use the same amount of gas in a longer time. The only cost of the larger heater is a bit more in the purchase.

You have a 336K BTU heater. You can get a 400K BTU heater if you have the gas service to feed it.

Reactions: wireform
@ajw22 Thank you for your response. Is there a way to tell which year my current heater was manufactured?

January 2008 according to the serial number.

The first 2 are the year and the next 2 are the month.

This heater doesnt have a working display but it fired up. Last weekend it would not open the gas valve to allow for electric ignition. I used to manually light it. But now that's not working either. Could it be something wrong with the gas valve or something else going on.

Last season I spent around $400 to fix the wiring that mice chewed up. I don't want to spend more money if I can check something myself.

Once mice get into a heater they often wreck it and make it difficult to get reliable.

Maybe @swamprat69 can help you.

I think this is the manual for your heater https://s3.amazonaws.com/AWSProd/sites/raypakcom/documents/241236.pdf Not having a display puts you at a large disadvantage as the heater will not show any status or diagnostic messages. If you could light the pilot manually it seems that you were getting 24V to the gas valve between either PV and MV/PV or P and C depending on the gas valve but not creating a spark to ignite the pilot flame ( dirty electrode and/or pilot hood/ground circuit ). If you are now not getting 24V to the pilot side of the gas valve, I would think that it is due to one of the safeties prior to the ignition sequence initiation is open. Since one side of the transformer is grounded to cabinet ground (Same as the GND terminal of the Fenwal ignition control), you could trace the 24V circuit through on/off swtch and safeties to see at which point you lose 24 volts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.