Pool heater shopping list

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I have mentioned to my wife at least 10 times per year that I want to get a pool heater. It is on top of my list to Santa every year but I guess I am chronically on the naughty list. The other day she shocked me with the response of "well find out how much it all would cost and then we will talk". I never expected to get anything other than "no way" so I am stumped.

Does anyone have a list of items I need to research to determine a true all-in cost? I have always assumed I would get a natural gas heater for quick heat-up on random warm days in spring but I wouldn't be opposed to a heat pump either. I would need at least 150k btu for gas but could likely go up to 250k. That is about all the research I have done so far.

I have a gas line for my fireplace starter not too far from my equipment pad. I assume I would need to have another 20A-40A breaker installed if I went the route of a heat pump.

What is the CFM of your gas meter? Look at the data plate on your gas meter and post a pic of your gas meter and data plate.

Running the gas line can get expensive depending on its length and routing. Get a few quotes.

With a 25,000 gallon pool you want a 400K BTU heater. No point in spending money on an underpowered heater.

Heater cost + gas line run cost + any gas service upgrade

HP will require 40amp to 50amp electrical. HP costs more then a gas heater for less BTUs.

I assume this is 250 cubic feet per hour? I know when we would be cranking up the pool heater would be days which the weather is warm so the gas furnaces would not be drawing much. Everything else like the water heater, stove, dryer, etc are electric.

Would a plumber install the gas line to the pool heater the same time they are running the gas line? Would I have to get a pool company to hook up the plumbing from equipment pad to the heater?

Yup, your existing gas service can support up to a 250,000 BTU heater. Inquire with your gas company about them upgrading your meter to at least 400 - 450 CFM. Many will do it at no or little cost since they want you to use more of their product.

Would a plumber install the gas line to the pool heater the same time they are running the gas line?

Huh?

Usually the gas line is run to the heater location before the heater install. It depends on the difficulty, distance, and routing of the gas line from the meter to the heater location.

Nothing special about using a pool company for the hookup. They will just have the same type of plumber as you can hire independently. You need someone with experience with gas heaters.

Post pics of your equipment pad and plumbing.

You have room on the pad for the heater?

What is the distance and routing from the gas meter to the equipment pad?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.