Pool Heater, Home Warranty w/pool coverage

ashtonbritney

Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Albemarle, NC
A bit of a long story here, we bought a house late August with IG pool. The house came with a 1yr full HomeOwners warranty with Pool heater/pump additional coverage. Was a bear to get the pool up and clear but I did it (thanks to everyone here) and we enjoyed it until the cold weather came in(in Charlotte, NC) I opened the pool and in the next few weeks I would like to get the heater up and on so we can get in during the nice weather breaks. Here is the issue. I went to review/clean the heater and noticed the propane line to the heater was disconnected. I reached out the previous owner and he said he had it disconnected years ago and hasnt used the heater since. He couldnt remember if it was 5 or up to 8 years ago! So the question is this....Do I blow out the line, try cleaning burners/elements etc or do I just call the HomeWarranty and ask them to fix/replace?

Does the warranty specify or have instructions for maintenance/repair?
Make sure to check if you are "allowed" to perform any maintenance yourself

If you are handy, you can inspect/clean the heater. Does it have a water Bypass or has water been running through it? I would definitely connect the gas line and make sure there are no leaks. You can turn on the heater without asking for heat and see if any code lights up.

No water bypass. I am pretty handy and not afraid to blow the line out and clean out the burners. Also, I just read the pool heater/pump add on policy and it mentions the warranty is only valid for working equipment on transfer. The previous owner said the heater worked but that was years ago....

No water bypass. I am pretty handy and not afraid to blow the line out and clean out the burners. Also, I just read the pool heater/pump add on policy and it mentions the warranty is only valid for working equipment on transfer. The previous owner said the heater worked but that was years ago....
Was there any indication the heater wasn't operational when the contract/warranty was made? I hope they take care of you!

A bit of a long story here, we bought a house late August with IG pool. The house came with a 1yr full HomeOwners warranty with Pool heater/pump additional coverage. Was a bear to get the pool up and clear but I did it (thanks to everyone here) and we enjoyed it until the cold weather came in(in Charlotte, NC) I opened the pool and in the next few weeks I would like to get the heater up and on so we can get in during the nice weather breaks. Here is the issue. I went to review/clean the heater and noticed the propane line to the heater was disconnected. I reached out the previous owner and he said he had it disconnected years ago and hasnt used the heater since. He couldnt remember if it was 5 or up to 8 years ago! So the question is this....Do I blow out the line, try cleaning burners/elements etc or do I just call the HomeWarranty and ask them to fix/replace?

Well, you can't just call Home@Warranty to come fix/replace because you don't know if there's anything actually wrong with it yet. So yeah, I think you (or a professional) need to blow out the line, get it all cleaned out, hook it up, and see what happens. Who knows, it may fire right up.

If there is no notation anywhere on the warranty papers that the heater wasn't functional when they inspected the property, I would think it should be covered if there are problems with it.

I think you have to connect up the propane line and try and fire up the heater. If it doesn't work then call the Home Warranty company and tell them it is broken.

If it has been sitting for 5 plus years I would try to clean it out before connecting to the pool. It may just spit a ton of junk into your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They definitely won't do anything if it's disconnected. We had our heater replaced by our home warranty company but that was after numerous visits and attempted repairs by their service guy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.