Pool heater - any updates? I have questions

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
I googled and saw replies from 2011 and 2013 regarding a pool heater.

I have questions. How much extra does it cost to heat it? Say I want it to be 88F - the old threads stated 80 - BRRRRRR.

2. Gas - most efficient?
3. What brands are the most efficient?
4. What size do you get?

that's all I can think of to ask....leslie's had one on said a couple weeks ago and I sure would love to swim now - weather is still good but pool i collllldddddddd!
TIA

85+ for us. 88 is better. Solar is really good. Free heat. A heat pump is next most efficient but can take a couple of days to heat up the pool. Gas is fastest but costs more. An 8 mil solar cover will help a lot to prevent heat loss overnight.

It costs the same money/energy to heat your pool X degrees, bigger heaters just heat it faster.

Pics of our solar and heat pump in sig.

Solar works great. Most folks put them on a south facing roof on their house. It is all we had for the first few years. Solar heat has given us many swim days that we would otherwise have missed due to the water being too cold from rain, cold fronts, wind, etc. But, our solar is too small for the pool so there is a limited amount of heat available. We added the heat pump and solar cover this year and swam earlier in the spring and later in the fall. We heat as much as possible with solar and supplement it with the solar cover and heat pump.

I'm thinking about adding solar, and have an initial design i'm putting together, so I'm not much ahead of you, but maybe perfect because it is all fresh in my mind.

How it works is many black or dark (typically plastic) tubes absorb heat from the sun while water is running through them. Ideally, fast enough that there is not much of a temperature rise. You want a lot of water with a small temp rise, vs a little water with large temp rise for better efficiency. Your controller [which may just be you manually] turns a valve that diverts the water coming out of your filter (before it goes back to the pool) so now it is running through your Solar panels. This water then is sent back to your pool. Pretty simple. It heats slow, so there is not a big reason for it to cycle on/of/on rapidly like your home heating system, so a manual valve is not unreasonable.

A few things i've learned so far about solar:

1) Rule of thumb is ~same square footage as your pool. But if you have ideal conditions, low wind, high flow rate (efficiency), and the perfect angle to the sun in a low-cloud area, less will work well. If you have non optimal [i.e., NOT south facing], or some shading, or lots of wind, or other negatives, you may want to go greater than 1:1 area. Again, rule of thumb. There is a guy that has a good calculator if you are doing it yourself [H2otsun.com], or if you want to get a feel for how much area you need given your desired temperature rise.

2) 80 degrees seems to be the standard temp for comparison.

3) since you lose plenty of heat at night, as poodv says, you will need more solar to overcome, or a cover. Said another way, if you can only get 50% of your pool surface area in solar, but have a pool cover that insulates well, maybe that is as good as a 75% solar system without a cover.

4) It appears it is not like a heater that cycles on/off with a +/-1 degree set point. Rather, a valve turns on, you pump the water up into the system, and warming takes place over hours. Once your controller reaches temp, the valve turns off, and much of the water in the system drains out due to a vacuum breaker at the highest point. I struggle with this one because you are always pushing the water up and you never get the advantage of the suction on the way back down. having said that, my 24' rise seems like it will only take an additional 10 psi, so it is not the end of the world. I'm looking into an approach that opens an electric valve once the system is shut down vs a vacuum breaker to enable the benefit of the falling water, but this is just me, and there probably is a good reason not to do this.

5) It looks like in your area there are oppotunities for freezing, so make sure you system does completely drain. Setting it at a slight angle, or orienting the system from top to bottom with a vacuum breaker should do this.

6) if you are doing it yourself, post the design here. You have to make sure you have a balanced pressure differential across the system. Basically, if you are feeding your arrays from the bottom left, you want the returns to be from the top right, so everything has an equal pressure differential.

7)

The first and foremost question is, do you have a south facing roof to mount the panels on?

I had solar at my last house...it was like magic. I remember on several sunny clear hot summer days seeing incoming
temp (from pool to panels) at 83 and the returning from panels temp being 89. amazing.

I heated the pool all summer long without spending a dime on gas.

If you have about 6-7 grand Pentair just introduced a 96% efficient heater called the ETi 400 that looks pretty good. If their Master Temp 400 version heats a typical spa in 30 minutes @ 84% efficient I can only imagine how fast this sucker would do it.

My Solartouch solar controller monitors the temp on the roof and the water temp in the pool. When heat is available it increases the pump speed and opens the solar valve to send water up to the solar panels to heat the water. If the pool reaches the set temp the it closes the valve or if the roof temp drops below the water temp it closes the valve.

Here is where I bought mine, Solar Direct Solar Pool Heaters and Solar Pool heating systems for your pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have about 6-7 grand Pentair just introduced a 96% efficient heater called the ETi 400 that looks pretty good. If their Master Temp 400 version heats a typical spa in 30 minutes @ 84% efficient I can only imagine how fast this sucker would do it.

Raypak has a high efficiency condensing heater as well.. I think it's in their commercial line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.