Pool has been stagnant for years. Where to start?

moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
sondra1.jpg
sondra2.jpg

This pool has been green since 2017. It's a fiberglass liner and I'm told the equipment works. I do have a portable filtration system by advantage manufacturing. I'm up for the challenge to clean this up. Being a fiberglass liner and with the close proximity of neighboring houses, the amount of water I can send to waste is limited. I can take as long as I like so I don't necessarily have to floc it. Where would you guys start?

I would stick with TFP basics:
1 - Physically remove as much junk as possible that may have entered the water. Hopefully the cover prevented it, but you never know.
2 - Stock-up on plenty of regular bleach/chlorine for the SLAM Process. That includes test kit refills for the FAS-DPD.
3 - In some scenarios, we might recommend a partial water exchange, but with a FG pool and potential elevated water level in your area, I would not think of that as a good option. Also with that cart filter, backwashing to waste does not seem to be an option since I don't see any auxiliary valve to push water to waste.
4 - Test the pump and clean the filter cartridge. If everything is serviceable, crank it up and see how it circulates.
5 -If everything is good, test/adjust the pH to about 7.2 and star the SLAM Process.

The rest is just a matter of consistency and time. You can change that swamp back to clear. Take photos to capture your progress.

Thanks Pat,

I don't have the multi valve on the cart for VTW but in the past I have just pulled the filter cartridge out and worked it that way. I will probably work for an hour with a leaf rake and then go at it with a silt rake before starting SLAM. I hope to get started next weekend. I will keep the photos coming!

Make SURE the equipment DOES work! Then scoop up as much as you can. Bleach on hand, LOTS of bleach.

I do like the idea of taking the cartridge out and letting it just move the water in the beginning.

How often will you be going by the pool to test and dose?

Boy, that looks a lot like my pool did when I bought my house that had been foreclosed and inactive for three years!

I'd start by cleaning the deck/patio first. It can be pressure washed and cleaned/sanitized before removing the cover. This will avoid more stuff getting into the pool and it will also help to avoid recontamination. Then I'd remove the cover and evaluate the condition of the pool structure and amount of debris. A lot will depend on when it was covered. Mine was left open maybe for years and actually had critters living in it before it was covered, there were inches of "muck" on the bottom and the walls were so badly stained so it needed to be drained and cleaned. They had to shovel-out muck because it was so thick. You might not have that option. You may need to use a "dirt tolerant pump" to pump sludge out before slamming.

More photos of your equipment pad and plumbing would be helpful. It appears the discharge from the pump goes to the roof, probably to solar panels. Is this the case and if so are they intact? Are there some valves that would allow you to bypass the roof equipment?

Reactions: Jimrahbe

I assume that you are doing this for a customer.. What are their expectations? I don't need answers to any of the following but I would keep it in mind..

How are you pricing this rehab, as It could take a "million" gallons of chlorine and many man hours of work..

Is getting the equipment ready part of the deal? Not sure what the customer wants, but if this were my pool, the filter and pump would be replaced. As Doug points out you need to be able to by-pass the any solar panels, as you don't want to pump junk through them.

I think that Doug's post above is right on target..

Thanks,

Jim R

I took on this project because it was close by, so I can go there as often as I wish. I will probably start on a Saturday morning, come back in the evening and then every day for the next week.

The portable filtration system (unlike the sub pump I started off with) has no problem pulling chunky stuff through it. I did a pool last month where the owner had put floc into it (at the instruction of the pool store) but was unable to proceed any further as he didn't have anyway of vacuuming it out.

There is a (damaged) solar array on the roof but it can be bypassed. I will get photos of all of that. The owner has asked me to look into getting someone to repair it but I think it's so far gone (plus the roof of the house isn't in good shape) that it's not worth trying to re-deploy that system.

I have been told that the equipment DOES work as the home inspector turned it on for a few seconds. I did explain to the property buyer that my limitations are just to clear the water and advised them the equipment is older and may need to be replaced. I can still get the pool to a clear state with my portable system. They are all good with it as they just need to get it clear enough to avoid a citation from the city (which was already placed on the property last year).

In terms of pricing, Jim, I covered myself well enough by pulling a reasonably high number from the air to include two filter cartridges so that there would be no surprises. I also told them that it could work out considerably less depending on what we find.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Check the water table, but it is dry season. I would still do as much of a water exchange as possible. It’s still going to be easier than dumping in gallons of bleach. Even if you can only dump out half of the water slowly as not to annoy the neighbors that is still going to make your life much easier. Its Florida, the water will soak in to the ground really fast.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.