Pool got cloudy quickly.

May 18, 2018
Southern NH
Prior to issues:
FC: 2
CC: Didn't measure, but TC with a strip showed 5
pH: 7.5
TA: 70
CH: 300-325 (I tried to stay at 250, but this one took a long time to read right, so ended up adding too much too quick)
CYA: 40

I started up the pool this year just like any other year, everything was balanced, crystal clear and ready to go. In the Northeast, we have had 2 hot weekends in a row, the first got up in the mid-80's and last weekend was in the mid-90's.
The first weekend we had 4 swimmers use the pool, no issues, no changes in chemical balance, and stayed clear afterwards.
This past weekend, I had 2 swimmers, that both decided to wear a t-shirt in the pool for some reason, and the pool became cloudy really fast. Not sure what it was, I related it to laundry detergent, or something to do with the heat. I tested balance again, and the only thing that looked like it was higher was pH, but with the kit, it only appeared to be about 7.8 (I also used 2 different test strips, one showed between 7.6 and 7.8, the other showed above 7.8 but under 8.5). FC was 1-2 at the end of that hot day. I decided to add a little chlorine to help things out and let the pool run overnight to see if anything changed. Brought the levels up to 4ppm.

Next morning, no change - pool was cloudy still, chlorine was around 3-4 (SWG was running all night as well).
With everything else looking ok, I decided to wait until night to do anything. I started with a little acid to bring the pH down, adding only 10oz or so. Next morning, no real change. Chlorine was good, everything else fine as well.
So, last night I decided to start the SLAM process, forgot to measure CC (it had been a while since I read up on it, since I haven't had any issues since starting on this forum 4-5 years ago, so thank you). I added 2 gallons of 10% shock, waited about 45 minutes and tested levels. I had also cleaned and put another set of filter cartridges in.

Turned off SWG
FC: 14
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.5-7.8 (I have such a hard time reading the color on this one above 7.5), a test strip also seems to read around 7.5
TA: 70
CH: 325
CYA: 40

This morning, the levels are identical - no drop in FC, CC still at 0.5. Pool was cloudy this morning, but is now starting to clear up significantly as the day goes on. I can't tell if it's the small amount of acid I used, or just swapping the cartridges, or if the shock is taking care of anything, but levels didn't drop.

I'm very confused! Any insights?

Yes, what they said. ^^ I think you caught this thing just in time. Maintain that elevated FC level of 16 and be sure to brush and inspect all areas of the pool just to be safe and ensure there are no post-winter hiding places for algae. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.