Pool getting green - DE in the pool?

apv

Apr 30, 2019
Austin, TX
Forgive me Father for I have sinned.

I was a faithful TFP disciple a while back -- and then made a deal with the Devil and hired a pool cleaning company. I swear, Father, I did it for good reasons -- I needed someone to watch the pool while we were out of town for extended periods of time (and no pool company would do one-offs).

My pool is turning green -- I think it is because the kid doing the pool simply jammed up CYA using tablets.

They say that I must have a broken or malfunctioning filter fin that allows DE back into the pool -- which then, according to them, interferes with the effectiveness of chlorine.

There is some substrate on the pool -- hard to tell what it is -- algae, pollen or DE.

I checked the filter fins -- and they look fine to me.

Question to the TFP faithful -- is DE slipping back into the pool even a thing? If so, can it actually interfere with chlorine's efficacy?

READINGS
ADKq_NZO-2DQAiaMjGgwfFUx1huZKnAdv5IiyO7J9szHXlvlOk9f2HfLkG8bvPINbMWIDEJHOUi43lMvQtttaAyFV4My1txtsGxNAD-s=s0-d-e1-ft
110 ppm Alkalinity
ADKq_Nb-vLJLFw89kTaTJF4i-lf06PWhssjQ63RkdC_z8rPUAXWunK8TYLueeXTAoPH4wBtpoOdZUDtSRhXiFG7Fta1tWMSqIgVLfd1T=s0-d-e1-ft
5 ppm Chlorine
ADKq_Nb-vLJLFw89kTaTJF4i-lf06PWhssjQ63RkdC_z8rPUAXWunK8TYLueeXTAoPH4wBtpoOdZUDtSRhXiFG7Fta1tWMSqIgVLfd1T=s0-d-e1-ft
7.9 pH
400 ppm Hardness
90 ppm CYA

DE does not interfere with chlorine, whether in pool or in your filter. CYA is high and therefore you have a FC problem. CYA 90 recommended level is 10-12 FC. Near zero chance that 10-12 FC is the level your pool service has maintained daily for your pool.

See solution in first response to your post.