Oklahoma City, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
On occasion, there is discussion about how those of us "in the know" about TFP don't like going to/using pools that we don't manage. Well...how about this one?

Recently, I noticed a post on Reddit where someone was asking about public pools that are available in the local area. One of the posters mentioned an app that allows people to rent their private pools to others (similar to AirBnB) and how great it is. Several other posters also mentioned how awesome this option is. Well, being a contrarian, I found the need to educate posters on the hazards of swimming in a private pool with zero oversight. Specifically, I noted that if there was a fecal incident, there is no way to know if the pool owner has dealt with it in an appropriate manner. Well...then came the comments, but this one really floored me, "Lol can’t go through life being scared of fecal matter friend." :sick:

Yeah, nah. I'm not trusting anyone's pool water who isn't on here, especially when they have random people in it who don't care about what goes on in there. No thanks. I know too much now.

Conversely, I don't want a bunch of unwashed randos in my pool either. What a horrible idea.

I have a friend that is renting his pool and yard. He thinks his biggest issue now is a small family rents then over the next few hours it has become a flash mob in their pool and yard.
He is trying wrist bands. I did not begin to list the problems I see with his venture, rather I simply said "I'm not doing that" and smiled as he talked. :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Swimply has a lot of available pools here in Las Vegas. One of my friend’s brother rents out his pool for $75 hour. He told me I could get $200 an hour (3 hour minimum) if I’d put in a portable toilet and easy-up privacy room in my backyard ( so they wouldn’t have to come in the house). I have a barbecue area with seating, a large 4 hole putting green and a large pool (40 x 25).

I wasn’t interested because of the above posts. Who wants riff-raff on their property.

I wasn’t interested because of the above posts. Who wants riff-raff on their property.
This... x1000. There is a reason I have a PRIVATE pool. Heck, there are some people that I don't mind seeing on occasion, but I still don't want them in MY POOL. I know, I'm a pool snob. ;)

It is basically impossible to maintain a public pool with that bather load.

Most health departments regulate the total number of bathers per square foot and those pools are in violation of the regulations.

You would need a turnover rate of about 1 minute to keep the water sanitized and you would need probably a billion watts of UV blasting the water as it moves through the system at 100,000 GPM.

Chlorine alone would never work as it would all become nasty chloramines and other disinfection byproducts.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: digitalpunk30
I lost it when she called them Peeeeeeeople in the intro.
I nearly lost my lunch when they showed the close up of the floaters. Time to go enjoy an adult beverage in my VERY CLEAN and peeeepeople free pool. Happy Friday, everyone!!! ;)

It is basically impossible to maintain a public pool with that bather load.

Most health departments regulate the total number of bathers per square foot and those pools are in violation of the regulations.

You would need a turnover rate of about 1 minute to keep the water sanitized and you would need probably a billion watts of UV blasting the water as it moves through the system at 100,000 GPM.

Chlorine alone would never work as it would all become nasty chloramines and other disinfection byproducts.

FCRV6u6WEAMdL7J.jpg

I had considered this before I knew anything about pool upkeep. I wouldn’t do it now. Too much that’s majorly gross. Some people act like total fools and I am not risking this possible behavior and then being on the hook.

Giardia and ecoli gang where ya at? Nope. I’d trust a public pool over some random yahoo like me renting their pool out. I couldn’t even do that. I let the neighbor girls and their friends swim but I’m always testing afterwards. Plus they have decent control of their bowels I think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.