Pool Floater for Chlorine Tabs

joemkraus

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
Saratoga, CA
I typically only use LC for my pool, but I am doing some testing using chlorinating tabs for future vacation times. I have a 22K gal pool with two floating chlorinators and the 3 inch tables added are broken up for quicker dissolving, even so I am only getting 2.5 ppm so having to add LQ each day. OK for now, but not enough for when on vacation. It just seems they do not dissolve fast enough, even though both floater seem to hang out at the pool skimmer most of the time. Do I need more floaters??

Last edited:
alternatively, I could set pump to run 24/7 while on vacation and put them in skimmer?

Sounds dangerous in the case of a power outage or pump failure.

You could tie the floater in front of the return jet and point it at it. But really you’re just looking to replace some chlorine - you’ll have to adjust when you get back home.

alternatively, I could set pump to run 24/7 while on vacation and put them in skimmer?
Don’t put them in the skimmer. I’d just load them up full and open the little grate that lets more water in and not breaks up the tabs. They are designed to dissolve slowly.

I tried experimenting w the same strategy last year for vacay and gave up. Id have to have a bunch of floaters to get enough daily fc from the tabs. The bigger problem is the acid from the tabs is such a shock to the ph so if I manage to get enough fc output than Ive got a big ph crash to compensate for and the whole point is that I am on vacation so can’t deal with it.

Best in my case to just rely on my stenner to keep pumping the lc and get a friend to come fill the tank for an extended vacay

Yea. Best option is a SWCG. But failing that I think I’d goose the FC up before I left and leave full floaters in with the cover on while I was gone. Or have a neighbor add the chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.