Pool fine all season then sudden loss FC

berddog123

Silver Supporter
Jun 3, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Just noticed cloudiness yesterday, looks like I need to slam. Has been up and running for 1 month in KC area

SWG pool, salt a little low, CYA very low.

Salt 2950
CYA 30
FC .5
CC 0
ph 7.4

Since CYA is low, do I need to get that up BEFORE I slam to at least 60-70? When do I add salt? I guess it's more a question of which order to work in.

Thanks!

SLAM Process prior to adding any CYA or salt.

Your chemistry is in a good place. Raise your FC to SLAM level (12 ppm) and start testing FC and adding liquid chlorine every couple hours. Once FC starts to hold, you can slow down to testing 3 to 4 times per day.
Once the pool is crystal clear, run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Once you pass that, then add CYA and salt and return to normal maintenance operations.

Treat it like a non-SWCG pool until you finish your SLAM.

SWG off.
Leave CYA where it is.
SLAM until complete.
Then add salt (if needed. Verify with Taylor 1766).
Raise CYA and turn SWCG back on.

Thanks for the help to both of you. I got it to 12, kept it at 12 all day, was at 11.5 this morning, still has just a very fine "touch" of cloudy. Stay with the slam? or kick on SWG? We have forecasted thunderstorms all day and we have auto cover so it's gonna be hard to test today.

First criteria for a successful SLAM is crystal clear water. Stay at it until you get that.

Yes that is normal.

OK -- as long as the water surface sees some sun every day or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.