Pool Filter/Return Jets Issues

MisterFootball

Jun 13, 2020
Long Island/NY
My Hayward C900 pool filter pressure starts at 10psi after cleaning my filter, however, within hours its at 20psi. Additionally, as the psi increases the pressure of my return jet decreases. I clean my filter cartridge and the cycle mentioned above starts all over again.

I do not see any air leaks anywhere either. No water leaks either. Skimmer is not clogged either.

What can it be????

Welcome to the forum!
Typically, rapidly rising filter pressure is indicative of algae in your pool water.
Can you post your pool water chemistry test results? What does your water look like?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

M,

We have yet to see a mechanical cause for the problem you describe.. It is always a chemical issue.

Think about it for a minute.. The reason the flow drops off is because something is clogging the cartridges.. When you clean the cartridges the flow returns. The only thing that will clog a filter is algae or a large amount of debris.. I suspect that you did not see any major amount of debris when you cleaned the cartridges.. That leaves algae.

Cartridge filters can clog up from algae in just an hour or two.. Even clear water can have an algae bloom, before it turns cloudy, and then green.

You should take a read through our Pool School and see what we are all about.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome MF. Fellow Islander here. Check out the post counts of the two above me. They've helped somebody 45k+ times combined. If i type the actual # it will be wrong by the time i finish this post. So they certainly know a thing or 2. And your exact problem brings lots of folks here so it gets repeated often.

Check out Test Kits Compared. You will need to invest in a reliable test kit. Once you can trust your results you can move foward and be trouble free.

I will defintely
M,

We have yet to see a mechanical cause for the problem you describe.. It is always a chemical issue.

Think about it for a minute.. The reason the flow drops off is because something is clogging the cartridges.. When you clean the cartridges the flow returns. The only thing that will clog a filter is algae or a large amount of debris.. I suspect that you did not see any major amount of debris when you cleaned the cartridges.. That leaves algae.

Cartridge filters can clog up from algae in just an hour or two.. Even clear water can have an algae bloom, before it turns cloudy, and then green.

You should take a read through our Pool School and see what we are all about.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim what do u recommend for this then? Buy a product for the algae? I’ve taken my water to Leslie’s and they’ve never reported anything with algae. They said my alkalinity is vert low... my PH is slightly low and to keep an eye out on my copper.

Welcome MF. Fellow Islander here. Check out the post counts of the two above me. They've helped somebody 45k+ times combined. If i type the actual # it will be wrong by the time i finish this post. So they certainly know a thing or 2. And your exact problem brings lots of folks here so it gets repeated often.

Check out Test Kits Compared. You will need to invest in a reliable test kit. Once you can trust your results you can move foward and be trouble free.
Ah a long islander! NB!! Maintaining a pool is such hard work jesus lol. Any tecommendations on the possible algae/filter?

The pool is cake with the right tools. First step is the test kit. The TF-100 is the best bang for the buck but you can get by with the K2006. The 2006-C comes with bigger bottles so it lasts longer if you go that route.

If you think the business model through, Leslies doesn’t want you to have a low maintenance pool. They want it as out of whack as possible so you come back in-weekly and get spendy. I have clothes older than whatever seasonal help they hired, so the advice from a 17 year old kid with 2 months experience is going to mess you up even more.

Here......... we can take those #s from your reliable test kit and send you to Home Depot, Walmart and Costco to get the same stuff the pool store has, without a fancy chemical name. Arm and Hammer baking soda, generic bleach (Clorox has too many additives these days), washing soda / borax and muriatic acid.

there is a handy dandy App.... PoolMath. You enter in all your pool info and save your profile. After that you just plug in your test #s and select which items you’d like to use to treat it and it will tell you the amounts. Take bleach for example, it comes in many strengths so you look at the bottle, enter 10% or whatever it says, And poolmath calculates that you need 2 quarts of it based on your test results. It could not be easier or cheaper.

Reactions: BadDogPSD
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.