Heard

Jan 3, 2022
SE Asia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
It seems there are very few members using this device around here.

Recently I was able to obtain a very positive feedback from one of the users.
Is there anyone else?
I'd be very interested to hear about the experience, especially when compared to the drop test.
I'm about to order the eXact kit and pair it with a digital PH meter.
btw, I don't need any advise on which other kit to use, I have plenty of info on that already.

Behind all the fancy technology are test strips which we find to be wildly inaccurate. Putting a digital front end on test strips makes it no better.

We do not recommend it and will not give pool chemistry advice based on that testing method.

In the tech world it is called Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Behind all the fancy technology are test strips which we find to be wildly inaccurate. Putting a digital front end on test strips makes it no better.
Please,
calling it "garbage" and comparing to the test strips doesn't add anything useful to the conversation.
As I said, I'm asking for a feedback from the users.

Reactions: StephaneD and Drd
Please,
calling it "garbage" and comparing to the test strips doesn't add anything useful to the conversation.
You are asking in the wrong place since we do not recommend them and will not give advice based on them.

Test strips are used in the system…

For pool owners and pool professionals who desire an economical way of testing pool water. The new Pool eXact® EZ with Bluetooth® technology delivers 11 pool water parameters with lab–quality results! All tests with the NEW Pool eXact® EZ with Bluetooth® use our patented eXact® Strips, a quick and easy reagent system for analysis. Simply dip an eXact® Strip Micro into the water sample for 20 seconds using a simple back and forth motion, discard the strip, and read the results instantaneously!

Reactions: ian81
Please,
Seems to me you did receive feedback. Just because you don't like that feedback doesn't negate the fact that you received it.

Chances are you won't find the "positive" feedback you seek on this product from any long time members of this forum.

BTW - it IS test strips with a fancy (and expensive) front end. It's in their literature. Plan and simple.

'd be very interested to hear about the experience, especially when compared to the drop test.
I'm about to order the eXact kit and pair it with a digital PH meter.
Quick question - this meter tests for pH so why would you want to pair it with a digital pH meter? Is there a concern about the testing for pH or is it easier to use a pH meter for daily testing?

Seems to me you did receive feedback. Just because you don't like that feedback doesn't negate the fact that you received it.
Chances are you won't find the "positive" feedback you seek on this product from any long time members of this forum.
Why being so hostile?
Did I ask about something being prohibited on this forum?
And what gives you a right to speak for everyone else?

Reactions: Drd
Quick question - this meter tests for pH so why would you want to pair it with a digital pH meter? Is there a concern about the testing for pH or is it easier to use a pH meter for daily testing?
From what I have learned, with any dye based system including the Taylor test kit you need to first neutralize certain chemicals such as high chlorine.
Otherwise the reading will be off.
But a true pH meter is unaffected by other chemical levels.

Reactions: HermanTX
Why being so hostile?
Did I ask about something being prohibited on this forum?
And what gives you a right to speak for everyone else?

- Not hostile - factual.
- No
- I don't speak for everyone here. I've just been around here long enough to know what the thoughts of using test strips (in any kind a device) are among long term members of this forum.

I have no idea what types of test kits you may have available in Southeast Asia. Not even sure if it's possible to import the test kits recommended here. But as @ajw22 indicated, we won't offer any pool chemistry advice based on an test strip (or pool store) test results.

I have no idea what types of test kits you may have available in Southeast Asia. Not even sure if it's possible to import the test kits recommended here. But as @ajw22 indicated, we won't offer any pool chemistry advice based on an test strip (or pool store) test results.
There are no quality tests available here.
Importing is not easy or cheap, especially being the case with the liquid based kits.
Thus the electronic devices make a better alternative.
And what's up with this line: "we won't offer any pool chemistry advice based on an test strip (or pool store) test results"?

I don't really know why, but there must be a reason.
Besides I'm not asking about the pool store or test strip results.
You seem to be trying to go out of your way to make the photometer tech look like just another strip test.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You seem to be trying to go out of your way to make the photometer tech look like just another strip test.

Oh, then explain to us the science behind how it makes its measurements?

The underlying measurement technology is test strip whose color is read by the meter.

The photometer's test strip involvement starts and ends with an act of dispersion of a measured amount of a chemical into the solution.
Is that how it works with the strip tests?

The photometer's test strip involvement starts and ends with an act of dispersion of a measured amount of a chemical into the solution.

That is not what the website says...

Simply dip an eXact® Strip Micro into the water sample for 20 seconds using a simple back and forth motion, discard the strip, and read the results instantaneously!

Is that how it works with the strip tests?

You dip a test strip in the test water and the color change is supposed to indicate a reading.

That is not what the website says...

Simply dip an eXact® Strip Micro into the water sample for 20 seconds using a simple back and forth motion, discard the strip, and read the results instantaneously!
And what is the reason for dipping the strip into the water?
Isn't what I just said?
You dip a test strip in the test water and the color change is supposed to indicate a reading.
Yes, the test strip changes color and you try to make sense of it.
All the same as with the photometer?

I only ask for a feedback from the users.
I'm not interested in the mental gymnastics on the virtues of the testing processes and technologies.

This thread has been moved to Agree to Disagree due to the fact TFP does NOT endorse any kind of test strip no matter how fancy it is. As such we do not provide advice based on test strip finding as they have been found to be wrong due to many reasons such a user error or condition of the strips.

I am sorry to hear it is hard to get the drop test kits that are endorsed by TFP. It is worth it to do what you need to do to get a GOOD test kit for your pool.

Kim TFP MOD

Reactions: Drd
Hey Heard !!! Look up the ColorQ. It's a similar photometer thay has been proven here time and time and time again to be considerably off. Many of the older pool store testers were also photometers and were responsible for many members finding their way here. Search and read their verbatims. Take it from real world pool owners, not me.

Unlike the pool store or fancy testers needing replacement parts, we have ZERO to sell you but goodwill.
And what's up with this line: "we won't offer any pool chemistry advice based on an test strip (or pool store) test results"?
Is that some kind of a threat? :)
Or itt rather makes you look threatened
We need accurate data in order to provide accurate results. If we, nor you, don't know where your pool is actually at, we are all fools for randomly adding more things trying to fix it.

A reliable test kit puts us all on the same page. If you wish to stay on another page we will wish you the best. Just don't ask us for a book report on the chapter we haven't/ can't read.

I have a similar unit. The so called test strips are simply a method of delivering a measured amount of reagents to the test sample. Similar to adding drops to the test sample on the TFT test kit. I have found the test results from my unit to be close to that of the TFT test kit. There is a bias on this forum against any form of testing other than the drop tests. I am an industrial automation engineer and deal with chemical analyzers on a daily basis. Drop tests also have their own set of faults and issues.

Reactions: StephaneD and Heard
I am an industrial automation engineer and deal with chemical analyzers on a daily basis.
And I'm sure they cost several times more than any residential pool tester and have a whole host of calibration requirements that aren't even possible with residential devices. Don't compare the $100 toy with the $10,000 analyzer.

Drop tests also have their own set of faults and issues.
Indeed they do. But when everyone is using the same standard then it's easy to account for these faults and issues. When everyone is using something different with its own faults and issues, some worse than others, it's impossible to get a baseline. So yes, there is a considerable bias towards a standard that's reliable, cost effective, and with more knowns than unknowns.

And I'm sure they cost several times more than any residential pool tester and have a whole host of calibration requirements that aren't even possible with residential devices. Don't compare the $100 toy with the $10,000 analyzer.
The $100 "toy" was awarded a NSF®-50 L1 certification.

May I ask which kit(s) are you using?
What are their certs?

I have a similar unit. The so called test strips are simply a method of delivering a measured amount of reagents to the test sample. Similar to adding drops to the test sample on the TFT test kit. I have found the test results from my unit to be close to that of the TFT test kit. There is a bias on this forum against any form of testing other than the drop tests. I am an industrial automation engineer and deal with chemical analyzers on a daily basis. Drop tests also have their own set of faults and issues.
Good morning,
May I ask which unit you currently have? I ask as there are a few testers that come close and I’d like to see if we’ve heard of this one. 👍

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.