Pool Equipment and Warranties

Mountainpool

Gold Supporter
Oct 28, 2018
Ut
I'm bringing a pool that was empty for 10 years back to life which has been an adventure. I have done the work with some help of day laborers when it was more than one person jobs. We know that in general we are good to keep the pool however the equipment is 10-20 years old so some will need to be replaced. In Salt Lake City I have found the number pool contractors to be small and demand tends to be from those that don't mind spending a little more. For example Inteliflow VS 1.5HP would cost 2500-3000 to purchase and install. I know that the warranty for Pentair (all pool equipment manufacturers really) is limited to 60 days if DIY. That being said when buying pool equipment from Amazon it appears I can purchase a warranty through Asurion. I have previously good experience with Asurion claims. There appear to be other companies offering insurance as well for equipment. Has anyone had experience with some of these 3rd party warranty services? I'm not looking to take advantage of anything but if new pump goes out 3 months after purchasing I'm going to be less than amused. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

We have had some members report going that route through Amazon, though none have reported back about any claims or issues.

Are you planning to install automation? There are pump suppliers that have longer warranties for DIY install. InyoPools Pureline pumps for example.

Intelliflo VS pumps are 3hp.

How will Asurion handle a warranty claim? When you call Asurion and say it broke will they overnight you a new one? Or will they want paperwork, sending the pump to a repair facility, letting them evaluate if they will repair, replace, or deny the claim? How long will that take and what will you do with your pool in the meantime?

@mknauss I was hoping to use automation. There is a Compool currently that exists but I have not worked it back into the system. The end goal is a digital system. I had not realized that Pureline had a friendlier warranty policy for DIY. I'll have to look at that. I'm guessing the reason for the automation question is the automation is much easier when using the same manufacturer for everything.

@ajw22 I actually had not thought about downtime for the warranty claim to be resolved. That is a really good point as resolution takes quite awhile and in the meantime the pool's chemistry goes sideways. Thinking through it I would have to obtain a replacement pump to get through the interim. Parts availability and shipping become more of a concern then. This actually makes me a lot less concerned about the warranty. Should a pump motor fail I could swap it out and rebuild it in my own timeframe.

Thank you to you both.

If you can buy two non-warrantied items for the cost of one with a warranty it makes the lack of warranty risk be low. You would need to have two failures that required replacement during the warranty period to come out ahead.

A VSP consists of three components - the electronics control head, the VS motor, and the wet head. Most VS pump failures seem to come from the electronics which is an expensive replacement. Having a surge protector in your panel can help protect the electronics. My understanding is the VS motors can’t be economically repaired and are just replaced. The wet end is rarely a problem. I have not seen reports on the costs of repairing an out of warrantee Pentair VS pump. They may be disposable with a new pump costing around the same as a repair.

@sktn77a I'm not sure if the labor being excluded in warranty repair I'm happy to know now or disappointed to realize. Either way thank you. :thumleft: That makes my decision much easier. I'm going to order one up and if need be I'll get a second one. From a risk perspective I'm more comfortable being able to address the problem myself and I think the risk of two pumps being completely replaced within a 1 or 3 year timeframe is low.

@Jimrahbe That looks awesome. Thank you!

I understand that everyone is different and what works for me will not necessarily work for anyone else.. but, I never buy anything where I ever worry about the warranty... In my mind, if I have to worry about the warranty, then I'm buying the wrong product... :mrgreen:

Jim R.

Reactions: JawJa

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I understand that everyone is different and what works for me will not necessarily work for anyone else.. but, I never buy anything where I ever worry about the warranty... In my mind, if I have to worry about the warranty, then I'm buying the wrong product... :mrgreen:

Jim R.
That's a great point Jim...buy quality and then warranty is of less a value...I kills me when I hear someone just gets tons of calls from automakers to buy their extended warranty plan before the warranty is even expired on the car. So, the automakers are saying, "pls advance me your payments of $1500-$2000 so when the car breaks that I made I won't be losing to fix it".

Jim R.

Currently, my pump is howling and needs to be replaced...
Being a new pool owner (bought the house with a pool)... I am reading up on pumps here at TFP.

I also run a heating and AC company... and have found a small number of folks that make purchase decisions almost exclusively by the warranty... and the level of repair quality I see in their systems is generally poor.

I agree with your thinking... albeit if I do have a warranty, I will use it!

THX for putting the idea into words... :)

Jaw,

Since you already have a Pentair pump, then I suggest that you look at the IntelliFlo VS pump. In my mind, it is the "gold standard" of pool pumps. And, if you have a licensed HVAC company, "they" can install it and you will get the full warranty, needed or not. :mrgreen:

I run my 3 HP IntelliFlo 24/7 at 1200 RPM most of the time (not needed I just like it) for less than $20 bucks a month..

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.