Pool dug in wrong spot

Gunite. For argument sake, the pool was supposed to be dug 18’ from the corner of the house, They only dug it 9’. They are now going to have to dig out another 9’ over over in into the dirt and frame up and pour a wall in what is now the center of the pool. I’m assuming form the wall and backfill. Not liking this as a back filled wall can’t be as strong and a virgin soil wall.

The builder should put 3/4 clean gravel in to build up the overdug areas back to the level required. None of the soil should be put back in as fill.

What does the builder propose to use as fill?

@Rich D @jimmythegreek @bdavis466

Can you post a picture of the hole? It would help to get an idea of what your ground looks like. It is always preferable to use undisturbed ground but builders build in disturbed ground all the time. If your builder is competent, it should not be a problem. Make sure you understand your warranty, especially the shell warranty. If it is lifetime, understand what you need to do should there be an issue and what happens if the builder goes out of business.

We have several members here that are more educated as to proper fill around your pool, but personally I would want the contractor to have the project bonded after such a big mistake had been made. A lifetime warranty is great to have, but will not do any good if the contractor goes out of business. Having the project bonded is usually not very expensive and will protect you in the even that you do have issues later and the contractor is no longer in business.

Reactions: duade

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just complain to your pool builder and let him know that that is not what you and them agreed. They should fix it..
I am sure they will offer to fix it, but knowing the proper way to fix it is very important in a situation like this. Without the proper fill the pool shell or decking can fail and leave the owner with very expensive repairs.

Reactions: revitup
They can frame it amd shoot against it. Hopefully the depth is right. If not proper prep with base stone is critical to long term quality. Sounds like its deep end that has to shift to new area so that's gonna require stone to fix the deeper area for shallow depth. Make sure they dont skimp amd use dirt for fill. Nothing but stone

They can frame it amd shoot against it. Hopefully the depth is right. If not proper prep with base stone is critical to long term quality. Sounds like its deep end that has to shift to new area so that's gonna require stone to fix the deeper area for shallow depth. Make sure they dont skimp amd use dirt for fill. Nothing but stone
This was the side they compacted in 8” lifts and then came home today and they sprayed it with something and it was falling in on itself.

Attachments

• 49B01376-D502-4695-8FF2-854EC771B55A.jpeg
    49B01376-D502-4695-8FF2-854EC771B55A.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 104
Just a comment here -- When our backyard was measured out and the outline for the pool laid. . . .One of them mentioned they started a dig and the homeowner changed their mind with the location. It can happen. Your pool builder should work with you. What you want is on the plans, it's in the contract, they comply. Keep us posted )

They compacted dirt with what machine in 8" lifts? Looks like they tried flashing the shell and failed miserably. What type of soil do you have there
Apparently good compaction soil is what they told me (I do believe this). They fillled, tamped and then clean cut the edge w the excavator.

They used their bobcat and one of those vibrating tamping machines (person pushing around like a lawnmower). I do know they were doing this section all day... approx 7’x51’

question is, what should of been done?

was told this am “this is more compacted that the fresh cut, you’ll never have settling problems” and then I come home to this unaware. Poor communication doesn’t ho the matter.

I cant really say what should have been done without being there myself. I will tell you that the average walk behind compactor can do 3" lifts max. They may feel its tight, but without proctor density testing it's all a guess.
The foundation of any structure is the most crucial aspect to get right. Everything else depends on it

question is, what should of been done?

What should have been done? Fill the dig up to the needed level with 3/4 clean gravel. That would ensure you have a stable foundation for the pool.

I would insist on a soil density test - Proctor Compaction Test: A Basic Guide and a soils engineer compare the compaction of the filled area to the undisturbed soil. If it is equal or better then you are good. If not then dig out the fill and put in stone.

Reactions: jimmythegreek

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.