Pool drain in deep end is cracked and sinking in and I'm freaking out! FIXED!

Jun 25, 2020
TOTAL newbie here - so hello, friends - and thanks for your attention. We have an in ground pool (I believe 25 years old) - and are (ironically) getting it entirely redone next Spring.

A friend was brushing it last summer and he hit the drain cover and cracked it. There are tiles that are coming off of the side, and they are kind of wedged in there - we get them out, but we recently got a KICKIN' new pump (and heater), and I've noticed it's getting worse. I just don't know enough about what the next stages with it will be, plumbing wise - honestly, I don't know ish about pools except they're expensive. It's freaking me out enough that I turn the filter off when the kids swim, but my husband isn't on the same page. I was hoping to ask the gentlemen who installed the pump and heater, but I didn't get to it. Also, the plastic is really brittle at this age - I'm not sure if the plastic supporting the drain cover could take the impact of replacing it (plus the screws look like they've been in water for 25 years)

SO. My questions.
  1. Will it get sucked in and if it does what's going to happen?
  2. Are there any "mitigating controls" we can put into place?
  3. If it CAN and NEEDS to be replaced (which is my non-pool knowing inclination) - what are my options?
  4. AND. Any advice on how to convince my husband to spend the money?
THANKS. All of the pool places around here are swamped (SEE WHAT I DID THERE?) so I'm crowdsourcing. Hope you are all doing well, and thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSC_0792.JPG
    DSC_0792.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0793.JPG
    DSC_0793.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0794.JPG
    DSC_0794.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0795.JPG
    DSC_0795.JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 83
Welcome to TFP.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Post pics of your equipment pad and valves. There is a good chance you have a valve to turn off your main drain or it may be off.

The drain cover can be replaced. It takes a diver to do it.

Last edited:
Turn the marked valve counter clockwise so the OFF label is over the MAIN DRAIN.

You don't need the main drain. If you only have one skimmer make sure it does not get clogged and your pump runs dry.

The repair can wait until you redo your pool next spring.

main drain.JPG

THANKS SO MUCH! We have two skimmers, so that makes me feel better.

I know this may sound silly - but I'd love some talking points for my husband, because he will likely not want to shut the drain off. I'm just trying to mitigate risk here - because it seems to me like this could turn into a serious problem that may require MORE work in the Spring with the redo then just turning it off now.

the cover has just gotten brittle and broke. It should look something like the picture. Get new ones and replace the broken ones. Make sure all equipment is turned off before hand. I did mime with a mask and screwdriver in 9ft deep end so if someone is good at holding their breath, it can be done without scuba. Fins do help keep you down and make it easier to work.AA8833DA-45A3-4331-8A73-6125A70FC916.jpeg

Reactions: ship of fools
I believe the OP has an in floor cleaning system. If it's functional, the main drain is needed to remove dirt and debris from the pool bottom as the IFCS eventually pushes stuff toward the main drains for removal.

Does the pool have two main drain covers or just one? Is the IFCS functional? You can get by without the main drain until you drain the pool but the IFCS isn't going to "clean" the dirt/debris out of the bottom. It is possible to change the main drain covers while the pool is full of water, but if you are unsure of how you need to call a pool repair company. Or, it can wait until you drain the pool.

Until the main drain cover is replaced, you need to isolate (turn off) the main drain - as Allen @ajw22 indicated above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.