Pool design help plaster, water, tile color

Well absolutely workmanship and professionalism in Hawaii is in short supply. Living here you just deal with that the best you can, until you get sick of it and move away. There aren't many people who do plastering, and even the ones that are considered good are sketchy. Every person gives you a different story, and the same person a different story every time you talk to them, and you have no idea who to trust; frankly a lot of contractors here are not very educated on what they are doing and use a lot of bro science.
On the other hand, there are certain things we just can't (or don't) get in Hawaii. Like certain epoxies are not available. And the only chlorine has cyanuric acid, so that builds up. Heck, the major lumber supplier in town sold me treated lumber for outdoors that was labeled right on it for indoor use only, and said "that's all anybody imports to Hawaii." And then there is also the issue that many, many materials that work great elsewhere simply don't work here. Plastics disintegrate. Stainless steel corrodes quickly. Slate's crumble. It's a hostile environment.

So if quartz isn't really more durable, why do people spend the extra money for it?

Here is a thread that shows plaster colors. Of course you can see their tile colors, sizes, etc as well. As far as what is "modern" in 2019 why care? All that does it "date" it. Go for classic and pretty. Make anyone that sees your place want to rent it just for the oh so pretty pool!

Might be a long-shot but have you considered recruiting a better plasterer from the mainland and flying them to Hawaii for the job? I think 2 people could do that job. Might not save you any money in the end but if you got a better plasterer it would be worth it.

Well, you can definitely run your pool with the BBB method, the predecessor/inspiration for the TFP method. That’s how I originally found the site that morphed into this site, and then this site. Bleach from WalMart, muriatic acid from (IIRC) City Mill. Or nowadays use a SWG which didn’t exist when I was there, or at least weren’t widespread.

UV and the salt air are definitely harsh on some things.

And the only chlorine has cyanuric acid, so that builds up. Heck, the major lumber supplier in town sold me treated lumber for outdoors that was labeled right on it for indoor use only, and said "that's all anybody imports to Hawaii." And then there is also the issue that many, many materials that work great elsewhere simply don't work here. Plastics disintegrate. Stainless steel corrodes quickly. Slate's crumble. It's a hostile environment.

So if quartz isn't really more durable, why do people spend the extra money for it?

Thanks! It looks modern too. So many pool tiles are hideous. That's regular porcelain tile then? How long have you had it?
It is pretty modern - the tile is what our pool builder suggested - he has used it on several pools. Our pool was built in 2015 - so far no issues with the tile (we did have one tile on our vault area come loose due to poor installation that was fixed by our pool builder for free).

Here is a photo of the Tile - it is a Bedrosians Porcelan tile...
tile2.jpg

And another showing the full size tile on our cover vault slanted wall at the end of the pool...
IMG_1501.JPG

I like it less grout lines to clean.
The tile is gorgeous....can you give me any info on it? We are starting a build and I didn’t see anything like this in the options we went through. LOVE it!

I don't think they were more expensive - for us they ended up not costing us extra in our build, but I don't know what that really means for anyone else. I would bet that they are easier to install as they are large and cover more area, so less tiles to add per foot, and less grouting etc...

I think when you start trying to add things like glass tiles and/or mosaic tiles that is where costs start to go up and up.

I don't think they were more expensive - for us they ended up not costing us extra in our build, but I don't know what that really means for anyone else. I would bet that they are easier to install as they are large and cover more area, so less tiles to add per foot, and less grouting etc...

I think when you start trying to add things like glass tiles and/or mosaic tiles that is where costs start to go up and up.
Love your waterline tile! It’s so modern and the color is unique even better than what we chose which was a slate white. We are building a pool and decided on a 12x24 tile with the goal of fewer grout lines and a timeless, seamless yet modern look (if that’s even possible) and haven’t been able to find many examples of people using this size. So I feel so much better after seeing your pool that we hopefully made the right decision. Hope you are loving it today as much as you did when you built your pool!

Reactions: santacruzpool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.