Pool Delivery, but where to start on the electrical? Do I need a sub-panel?

roundbox52

Aug 6, 2020
WNY
Hi everyone, my 27' Destination pool w/ aluminum wall has arrived! We have a July 7th install date. I'm ordering electrical items and have questions regarding whether or not I'd need a sub panel.
I have a Hayward PowerFlo LX pump (SP1515Z1BC) (115v)and an AquaTrol SWG with T-5 cell. My receptacle will be about 60'-70' from the main panel box inside my basement. Would this length be okay to run a 20amp circuit, with #12 wire or would I be looking at running a sub panel near the pool with more ampacity?

My electrical inspector says the convenience receptacle and the pump receptacle can be on the same circuit if the pump is less than 50% of circuit ampacity. The PowerFlo LX shows 12.0 Amps, so right of the bat I'm thinking I need a separate circuit for the convenience receptacle. The pump is plugged into the AquaTrol as the AquaTrol has a built in timer.

Who else has an AquaTrol SWG? Any chance you can share how you wired it and the convenience receptacle?

I'm looking to run the wire in pvc conduit under ground, does 3/4" conduit sound good? The big box stores sell a lot of THHN but I don't see THWN. THWN is wet rated and THHN is not correct? Any good sources for THWN wire? Is stranded wire, black,white, green okay or do I need solid copper wires?

Thanks a bunch! Happy swimming to everyone!

Last edited:
I’d recommend just running two circuits right away. I used 3/4in pvc conduit and it worked fine for me, doing the same.

Take a close look at the THHN wire in the store and the printing on it. Most of it is actually dual rated THHN/THWN. It confused the heck out of me as well because I couldn’t find THWN anywhere, and then I realized all the THHN I had been looking at was actually dual rated and properly listed. I used solid core wire.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on the subpanel question. I did not need one, however my distance was only ~ 30 feet.

I would run a sub panel. Some inspectors see the pool as a separate structure and some don't. A separate structure can only have one circuit running to it( 2 hot, 1 neutral , ground) This sometimes can work but having two hots on one neutral does not allow for GFCI breakers to work properly. A 30 amp, 240 volt feed will be able to supply all the power you should ever need for the pool. A little more cost up front but a lot less headache down the road when you want to add something .

Dan

Reactions: Cwiggs
Your questions indicate you should engage an electrician. A sub-panel is needed for sure. Are you planning for a bonding wire?

I discussed the length of the run with the electrical inspector and he will not require a sub-panel. He mentioned closer to 200' would require one. While a sub-panel would be nice for a camper-turned pool house, I think I'll stick with the 20amp line coming from the house.

If you are not going to install a sub panel this is what you need for 2 dedicated circuits:

One 3/4 conduit from your electrical source (house panel).
5 #10 THHN/THWN wires (Green, black, red, white, white) You should upsize to #10 for the voltage drop. Stranded wire would be easier to pull.
This gives you 2 circuits and 1 ground (Circuit 1 Black/white, circuit 2 Red/white)
Two 20a GFCI breakers in your panel. (or use GFCI outlets)

Its not too difficult but I would recommend you get an experienced electrician to make all the connection.

For the same amount of effort (pulling wires, finding room in your existing main panel, etc), just run a sub panel. This way you can have future expansion at the panel instead of new runs from the main panel to wherever.

You mentioned electric at the camper. That’s a great idea and you can make that much easier with a sub-panel.

Reactions: markayash
For the same amount of effort (pulling wires, finding room in your existing main panel, etc), just run a sub panel. This way you can have future expansion at the panel instead of new runs from the main panel to wherever.

You mentioned electric at the camper. That’s a great idea and you can make that much easier with a sub-panel.
^^^ What he said.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.