Pool deck repairs

brunoforestier

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2020
Denver CO
My indoor pool/deck is approaching 50 years old. It's in pretty OK shape (I think?), all things considered.

That said, I'm sure we need to start maintaining it more than we have. The only work I've done is replace caulked joints with some Vulkem caulk. I'm not super happy with several spots we caulked (one of the photos attached illustrates one of the gaps between the caulk and the deck).

I've attached a few photos to show some of the concerns I see with cracking. I don't know what material any of the deck is made from -- I'm curious if anyone can identify from the photos.

One of the main problems appears to be gaps/holes between the coping and the waterline tile. This is hopefully visible in one of the photos -- what should I use to repair/fill that gap? Grout??

Also, I believe the holes in the coping are from low calcium in the water over the years.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2265.JPG
    IMG_2265.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2261.JPG
    IMG_2261.JPG
    718.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2260.JPG
    IMG_2260.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2259.JPG
    IMG_2259.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2258.JPG
    IMG_2258.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 28
Looks pretty good to me for 50 years old.

The joints between the stones are mortar.

Between the tile and the coping it could be mortar or grout. You can try grout and see if it lasts.

I found a better angle to illustrate what I think is the biggest current problem with my tile/coping gaps. Can I use something like this? Can I fill that gap with the pool filled? What's the best short-term solution until I have the pool emptied in the offseason and can do a more long-term solution?

Attachments

• IMG_2270.JPG
    IMG_2270.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    405 KB · Views: 14
Would I be better off with polyurethane caulk, as recommended in this old thread?

I wouldn't use polyurethane caulk. It won't match well with the existing grout and will be a mess to remove if you want to do a better repair later.

you can look at what's called "Siliconized Sanded Caulk". It will have a little more grit to match your existing grout and comes in a tube to make
it easier to apply. Stores like Tile Shop and others have outdoor rated versions.

The challange is matching up the color you have now which has aged over a long time to something available.

Would I be better off with polyurethane caulk, as recommended in this old thread?

No, that thread dealt with a gap on cantilevered coping which was the expansion joint. You put flexible mastic in expansion joints. That is not your situation.

you can look at what's called "Siliconized Sanded Caulk". It will have a little more grit to match your existing grout and comes in a tube to make
it easier to apply. Stores like Tile Shop and others have outdoor rated versions.

I would not use anything silicon based on the pool. Once you put it on you can’t get anything to adhere to the silicon later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.