Pool Deck Options

jaxstar

Dec 30, 2019
SE PA
We are in the process of redoing our pool deck as well as adding additional patio space to our backyard in SE Pennsylvania. Our hardscape around the house and pool currently uses PA Bluestone, which looks great except it gets unbearably hot around our pool. The flagstone around the pool is all uneven (about 20 years old) and given we are adding an additional 1,500 SF of patio + pavilion and fireplace, we wanted to redo this area.

Since the flagstone gets so hot, we wanted to look at alternatives. A few of our neighbors have stamped concrete that's 15+ years old and still looks great so we put that to the front of the list. However, every single contractor we talked to tries to talk us out of stamped concrete given it (eventually) will crack. The alternatives they give us to flagstone? Traveterine or possibly pavers. We probably wouldn't do travertine or pavers in the other areas (contractors also seem to be against using different kinds of materials in differnet areas as they try to talk us out of this). And then there is stamped concrete which is what the wife wants so the kid's feet don't get burned. Final option (and probably cheapest) is keeping the flagstone.

I guess the questions we had given the contractors we've talked to all seem to push what they want to do:

1. Any alternatives we aren't thinking of?
2. Does having different materials in different areas (stamped concrete around the pool and flagstone everywhere else) really that bad? I don't think so but again, the contractors seem to make a big deal about it.
3. If we did the stamped concrete, could we leave our current coping? The concrete contractor (same firm that did my neighbors which still looks great) said we'd have to have someone else remove the coping which then could possibly crack tile which I know will just lead to additional costs. I'm assuming since our coping looks nice (although very hot) we could keep it?

I think I've almost convinced the wife to keep the flagstone around the pool given it's already there and will save us money vs doing the stamped concrete or pavers and if she really hates it down the road, we can always replace it. But I told her I'd ask the community for any additional thoughts we might be missing.

Thanks!

In your area you may have a lot of freeze/thaw movement but with your neighbor having the concrete then you many be fine getting it at your place. It will depend on the skills of the installers as in so many other areas of having others doing work for us.

-coping-leave it. More trouble than it is worth to remove and could cause more trouble like they said with broken/chipped tile.
-mixing materials-look at it like putting carpet next to tile in the house. It works and works well so there is no reason to not mix in the back yard around the pool.

Can you post a picture of what you are working with so we can add suggestions based on your set up. (I removed the hyperlink as it is not a good idea for people to click on unknown links. Better safe than sorry.)

Kim:kim:

My actual concrete guy is the one who talked me out of stamped concrete patio. And it was every penny as expensive at the Flagstone. Actual name brand Pavers are harder, more durable and twice as expensive. We got a lighter colored flagstone that doesn’t get hot. It was fairly brown to start but faded to a sand like color now.

It will depend on the skills of the installers as in so many other areas of having others doing work for us.

Like everything else in life! Such a gamble I feel...

-coping-leave it. More trouble than it is worth to remove and could cause more trouble like they said with broken/chipped tile.

Makes sense and is definitely cheaper to leave

Can you post a picture of what you are working with so we can add suggestions based on your set up.

Posted, sorry for that. It's hard to find a picture of just the pool without kids! Added a few below. I can take a better one now if it would help.. pool just covered now though.

Appreciate the response!

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 40
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 39
  • pool4.jpg
    pool4.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 40
  • pool5.JPG
    pool5.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Pool6.JPG
    Pool6.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 41
  • pool7.JPG
    pool7.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 40
  • pool1.JPG
    pool1.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 38
My actual concrete guy is the one who talked me out of stamped concrete patio. And it was every penny as expensive at the Flagstone. Actual name brand Pavers are harder, more durable and twice as expensive. We got a lighter colored flagstone that doesn’t get hot. It was fairly brown to start but faded to a sand like color now.

Interesting. I don't feel like ours is that dark now? But it still gets pretty hot. I think the compromise for my wife is.. I let her get more carpets to put down. My guess is she completely covers the areas in carpets :D

Reactions: Newdude
I LOVE your pool! Looks amazing. And the squatting sumo man, that is perfection!

We just built a new IG pool this fall just north of you (hayyyyy!) I really wanted stamped in a natural pattern (think squiggly type lines) because I like that look and I thought it would help 'hide' the cracks that develop. But our budget didn't allow (because we kept adding more and more concrete, haha) - so we went with good ol' regular concrete.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.