Pool Currently Demo'd - Long Crack under coping

Just keeping this thread updated:

Coping just wasn't in the budget right now. However, I am having them pull up all the bricks in the shallow end from the spa to past the pool steps... basically where the crack is bad, and having them re float that area and then re-lay the bricks and put deco seal behind them. Gonna have to work for now. Wish me luck.

As much as it stinks to take the hit now, you are saving future you a much bigger expense. A good chunk of the labor costs come from getting a crew off another job and setting up all the tools/equiptment at your house. And you usually wait as they do the bigger and more profitable jobs first. If they are already there you only pay for the amount of time for actually working on the added project.

My neighbor who is a jerk had a tree service come in and take down a dozen or so oak trees. They had 15 guys working all day with lots of equipment. A worker came over and offered to grind 5 big stumps i had for $50 each. The machine was going to just sit all morning before they got far enough to use it. So one guy put it to use at my house for an added $250. The stumps were two to four feet wide. Too big to dig out and pull with my truck, which is why i still had them. I jumped at the offer and it felt twice as sweet to get a deal because the jerk nextdoor spent thousands on a work crew. To get the same guy and grinder there just for me i would have spent 5 times as much.

Reactions: Palpatine
Viola! The Coping just got in the budget!
Well, it's like @Newdude was saying.... the guys are already here.

After they cleaned the waterline area around the pool, prepping for tile, I can see that the crack is pretty bad all the way around. I could literally lift chunks of the coping out with my hands like 5-10 bricks long. It will seriously bother me knowing how janky it is even if the do jam concrete and epoxy in there to hold it down.

As much as I didn't want to spend the money now, I know it'll have to be done in the next few years. At that point it'll cost me double... drain the pool again, new tile, hopefully don't mess up the plaster... pain in the neck.

These guys seem to know what they're doing also. They're putting small pieces of rebar in the top to hold the mortar bed in place before putting the coping down on top.

This whole job snowballed from a spa return pipe jet repair. Small 2x2 sawcut, repair the pipe, patch it... done it 2 days. Yeah right.

Last edited:
My house was built in 77. Anytime the Mrs asks me for a simple project I cringe. She’ll wonder why ‘just a faucet’ is such a big deal. Well sweetie. When i turn off the old shutoff valve, it’s gonna seize. And there isn’t enough pipe sticking out to put a new one on. So we are gonna be cutting Sheetrock and ....and.... and. Lol. Every last time. I feel your snowball brother.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My house was built in 77. Anytime the Mrs asks me for a simple project I cringe. She’ll wonder why ‘just a faucet’ is such a big deal. Well sweetie. When i turn off the old shutoff valve, it’s gonna seize. And there isn’t enough pipe sticking out to put a new one on. So we are gonna be cutting Sheetrock and ....and.... and. Lol. Every last time. I feel your snowball brother.
It's funny cause I wanted to wait til after the summer to dive into the pool/fix the leak. But she kept raising a ruckus for me to fix it now because the water bill will was a but pricey from the leak.

Now... no more pool this summer.

My house was build in mid 60's... last month it was "just put a ceiling fan in our bedroom". Should have been easy enough, but, I'm not familiar with electrical and our old Rear panel didn't have a breaker to shut off just our bedroom... so I had to shut off the main breaker. It never went back on. We went 4 days with no AC and no pool equipment until I could find an electrician to replace that main breaker. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Newdude
I feel your snowball brother.
I'll bang the drum with you as well. "I JUST want a "_____". " fill in the blank! Actually I have to deal with the antithesis of this. My daddy taught me how to do all sorts of stuff. So it a Honey Do suggestion made.. I'm all for it! But I get the "Why can't we just call somebody?.. Well because I can do at a third of the cost!"

So for four days you were getting blocks of ice from the Ice House down the street as well for the refer? Or you just let it all defrost and you ate out?

My daddy taught me how to do all sorts of stuff. So it a Honey Do suggestion made.. I'm all for it! But I get the "Why can't we just call somebody?.. Well because I can do at a third of the cost!"

I do almost everything as well. I even enjoy the planned on project each time. The 27 pop-up problems that stem from the 1, notsomuch. And 9 times out of 10, i get a much nicer faucet by saving on the labor.

Thanks guys, yeah, they're having an issue getting the forms to stick in certain spots but I think they're gonna get some anchors tomorrow and lock them down.

I definitely saw a bottle of bonding agent out there so I assume they're putting that in between what's there and what they are gonna pour prior to floating the coping.

Will keep everyone updated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.