Chino Hills CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I live in SoCal which, normally gets pretty hot, but we have a hill with tall trees behind the yard the pool is in that cut off the sun in the early afternoon so we don't get the full radiant heat advantage others get. The lunatics are starting to squeeze natural gas here so I'd like to be able to save a little $$ and still enjoy the pool.
The pool is L shaped so it would have to be a "custom" fit.
I've looked at pool covers that ostensibly trap heat, reduce evaporation and keep the water clear.
I suspect there might be consequences such as alterations in chemistry that I haven't fully thought out.
Good idea? Bad idea?
If there is an existing thread about this topic, I apologize but feel free to direct me.

However warm your pool gets during the day, let's say it gets up to 85 degrees, then overnight, evaporative cooling lowers your water temp down to 80 - 81. Not sure of what your temperature differential is from day to overnight to day. When I lived in South Orange County my pool did that. However, my backyard was south facing and we received the full sun all day. I just knew that before noon my wife would not get in the pool till the afternoon when the water got up to about 85 degrees. I never thought of getting a cover back then but we have an autocover now.

I've looked at pool covers that ostensibly trap heat, reduce evaporation and keep the water clear.
I suspect there might be consequences such as alterations in chemistry that I haven't fully thought out.
Good idea? Bad idea?

So in addition to what's already been said here and on the wiki page linked earlier, there are some other consequences that might or might not be an issue for you:
  • Covers are heavy and awkward to remove and replace.
  • When they're in the pool, they don't look very attractive. When they're not in the pool, they take up a lot of deck space and don't look very attractive.
  • A cover will catch leaves, pollen, etc. But then all that debris will dump into the pool when you remove the cover, unless you're very careful.
  • If the area around your pool is dirty, or if you removed a dirty cover by winding it onto a reel, the dirt may end up in your pool when you replace the cover.
  • To a child or a pet, a floating cover may look like a solid surface that's safe to step on. An adult will know better, but might still fall onto the cover accidentally. It's possible that the cover will sorta float anyway. But it's also possible that the cover will collapse around the person or animal, trapping them in a heavy, slippery plastic bag while they sink.
  • Slipping under the edge of the cover is equally dangerous -- maybe more so, since what's happening under the cover may be invisible to anyone outside the pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bcorig and HermanTX
Roof top solar is another consideration if you have enough roof space and the right exposure to support it. It’s a big upfront cost but, if it’s done right, it can give you years of trouble free heat. My neighbor installed it a few years ago and didn’t use a cover. She likes her pool to be bathtub temperature, 90°F or higher. She gets that during the day and lets the heat evaporate off at night. I’m sure her water usage is higher but she doesn’t care much about that. She just likes to water to be warm or else she’s never use the pool.

I purchased a blue solar blanket for my freeform pool, cut it to shape in about 20 minutes, and have zero regrets. Based on what I read here, I bought a 16X32 for $129 from Amazon and I'm glad I did. It makes a tremendous difference in heat retention although the claim of adding 7-15 degrees was a huge stretch, I knew that going in. I'd say on a sunny day, here, 2-3 degrees is possible.

I pulled it off yesterday so our exchange daughter and a couple of friends could swim. gently drug it out in the back yard. not the pretty thing laying out there, but I won't have to worry about it at all in a couple of weeks.

So in addition to what's already been said here and on the wiki page linked earlier, there are some other consequences that might or might not be an issue for you:
  • Covers are heavy and awkward to remove and replace.
  • When they're in the pool, they don't look very attractive. When they're not in the pool, they take up a lot of deck space and don't look very attractive.
  • A cover will catch leaves, pollen, etc. But then all that debris will dump into the pool when you remove the cover, unless you're very careful.
  • If the area around your pool is dirty, or if you removed a dirty cover by winding it onto a reel, the dirt may end up in your pool when you replace the cover.
  • To a child or a pet, a floating cover may look like a solid surface that's safe to step on. An adult will know better, but might still fall onto the cover accidentally. It's possible that the cover will sorta float anyway. But it's also possible that the cover will collapse around the person or animal, trapping them in a heavy, slippery plastic bag while they sink.
  • Slipping under the edge of the cover is equally dangerous -- maybe more so, since what's happening under the cover may be invisible to anyone outside the pool.
Thank, you. Excellent points. I think I'll pass this summer.

I tried solar a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth the hassle, and all the crud on top just fell in the pool along the edge. Decided to try again this year with a different approach. Paid $120 for 18x34 8mil from solarcovers dot com, worth a shot. Cut it so there's a lip turned up under the coping. Also cut a "channel" into the skimmer. Leaves can be blown off, and pollin can be hosed towards the skimmer when it gets dirty. Should be easier to clean before removing. Heat drop tests tonight. No way way to use a reel, so just going to fold/roll (pita).

Attachments

• PXL_20230318_172017259.jpg
    PXL_20230318_172017259.jpg
    953.9 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230318_172031034.jpg
    PXL_20230318_172031034.jpg
    972.6 KB · Views: 13

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did the same with mine. No pproblems, yet. Our subdivision is still under construction so dust is a problem, but that’s about it so far. It really helps retain the heat.

This is working great. Nothing falls off the edges. Very easy to blow to one end, lift edge up and weight down with 2 bricks, then blow or sweep it off the cover. Once I get ready to remove, I'll hose it to the skimmer. Should be able to fold in half lengthwise and roll up while in the pool. So far night water has dropped 3 degrees rather than 5 (outside 50, pool 80), couple hours quicker to heat back up. Heat pump doesn't do much until outside temp is above 50. Oak catkins just starting, cover is a Betta saver! 🤣

Oak catkins just starting, cover is a Betta saver! 🤣

ME : “Oak trees, meet chainsaw … chainsaw, meet the oak trees.”

CHAINSAW : “Rurrr …. Rurrr, Rurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr …. 🪚🪚

Oak, aged for a season, is a very nice wood to smoke meats with … just sayin’ 😈

• Haha
Reactions: proavia
I keep a safety cover over my pool from the end of September (4 large cedar elm trees that put out quite the mess in the fall) through the end of April (6 large oaks that make a bigger mess in the spring).

Soon as I put away the safety cover I'll bring out the reeled solar cover. Takes all of 1 minute to deploy in the evening and about the same to roll back up on the reel. Last year I put it away at the beginning of June once the water temp was good to go and by July I would deploy the 32' x 32' x 32' sun sail to keep the water from getting into the 90's.

I keep a safety cover over my pool from the end of September (4 large cedar elm trees that put out quite the mess in the fall) through the end of April (6 large oaks that make a bigger mess in the spring).

Soon as I put away the safety cover I'll bring out the reeled solar cover. Takes all of 1 minute to deploy in the evening and about the same to roll back up on the reel. Last year I put it away at the beginning of June once the water temp was good to go and by July I would deploy the 32' x 32' x 32' sun sail to keep the water from getting into the 90's.
I wish my deck was one level and pool a rectangle, would love to be able to use a reel. I don't believe it will take long to roll by hand. I've been swimming several weeks since February. Crazy Texas heat/cold.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Well I remember now why I hate solar covers. Took over an hour to clean off leaves and hose off tons of oak pollen. Then took over and hour to fold and roll. I'd much rather be swimming. Not worth the extra 2 degrees out saves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.