Pool coping install

Cindygood

Jan 28, 2021
Atlanta
Hello All. They just installed our pool coping yesterday and we noticed there is now an area behind the coping where the concrete is still visible (looks approx 2 inches behind the coping all around the pool coping). Is this normal? We just assumed the coping would cover all the concrete. Unfortunately, we live in metropolitan city with small lots, and our impervious coverage is all used up by pool, so, we can't install any more stone to butt up to it, and we were planning on installing sod right up to coping. Obviously the sod won't grow on that strip of concrete. Just wondering if this is how it's supposed to be. Our pool contractor said 'you can put pebbles around it, or we can add grout behind it and slope it down. Doesn't sound aesthetically pleasing to me. Also, does that corner joint look too big? Sorry for all the questions, but this is the best, most helpful forum out there, so thank you all in advance for any advice. See pix.

Attachments

• Pool coping.jpg
    Pool coping.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Pool coping 1.JPG
    Pool coping 1.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 113
I defer to one of the TFP pros but that does not look right to me. I would have expected the concrete to be totally covered, and if the coping wasn't going to be wide enough, the pool contractor should have caught that.

Is there a deck going in or just sod to the coping? Personally I always let my coping overhang the base a hair but for a different reason. Its not wrong, that's fine for adding a concrete deck, but not ideal for sod. grass will always be weak over that concrete and likely die off in summer

Someone did not do good planning between the width of the concrete collar and the width of the coping.

No inexpensive fix for it now.

Wouldmt be that much work to saw cut down a few inches all around pool amd then chip a square out from the edge to make a deeper void. That would allow some dirt underneath amd with the right grass it wouldnt burn off. Otherwise a 3" paver band behind coping would look good and hide it. Contrasting color bands are popular

Is there a deck going in or just sod to the coping? Personally I always let my coping overhang the base a hair but for a different reason. Its not wrong, that's fine for adding a concrete deck, but not ideal for sod. grass will always be weak over that concrete and likely die off in summer
We were not planning. Deck, just planing artificial turf to the coping. Thanks for your response.

Wouldmt be that much work to saw cut down a few inches all around pool amd then chip a square out from the edge to make a deeper void. That would allow some dirt underneath amd with the right grass it wouldnt burn off. Otherwise a 3" paver band behind coping would look good and hide it. Contrasting color bands are popular
Thanks. Thought about a band around it, but wasn't sure how it would look. Good to know contrasting bands are popular

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.