Pool company recommending replacing sand filter w/ cart - should I?

Sep 28, 2018
Spring, Tx
Pool is around 20 years old, I've lived here for 3 years. Previous owners lived here for 18 months. Essentially, my Jandy RS-8 board bonked out last October, along with most of the other components. iAqualink 2.0 has never worked for me. At the moment, we have it jerry-rigged to always run the filter and one pump unless I turn off the breaker. After many, many frustrating months I finally found a pool company who has: actually responded to me, said they serviced my area, made an appointment to come out and give a quote on replacing it, and actually showed up. (I have gone through 10 or 11 companies at this point - all highly rated - and am ready to tear my hair out because only THREE have shown up, and neither of the other two followed up with the quote. He was the first one to both actually show up AND to give me an estimate).

During the course of the quote, he seemed surprised that I have a sand filter and said it was one of the few he'd seen in the entire week. The previous owners replaced the existing filter (unknown) with a sand filter, so it can't be older than 2017. Pool guy said he recommended replacing it with a cartridge filter, which adds over 2K to the quote. I'm honestly torn. If I was replacing the filter anyway, yeah, I go with a cartridge. But I had no plans on it, and I can't see that it adds 2K worth of value right now. However, I *know* I'm lax about backwashing, I hate doing it: it turns my yard into a muddy mess; it throws my water chemistry off; the hose is piped to go out through the most ridiculously aggravating part of the yard to get to; and I just generally get grumpy about it so I don't do it nearly as much as I should. In addition, I'm thinking about converting to a SW pool within the next year or so, and I know it would be easier to keep stable with a cartridge filter.

Would it be worth it? We had a cartridge filter when I was a kid, so I vaguely remember what it entails. While it doesn't seem like quite as much hassle as the sand, would any of you say it's worth the extra 2K+? Is this just the PB trying to upsell me with something I don't need? Total quote right now is $5.3K which is a hard pill to swallow. I can do it, but unless it would make life significantly easier or better, I'd rather not.

Welcome to TFP.

No reason to replace a perfectly good sand filter. You seem to understand the cons of what you have and maybe you can find a better place to dump the backwash. A cartridge filter does not make anything magically better.

Show us pics of the filter so we know what you have.

BTW, if you want to discuss your iAqualink maybe we can help you get that running. Using a CB as a switch can wear out the CB prematurely.

Welcome to TFP.

No reason to replace a perfectly good sand filter. You seem to understand the cons of what you have and maybe you can find a better place to dump the backwash. A cartridge filter does not make anything magically better.

Show us pics of the filter so we know what you have.

BTW, if you want to discuss your iAqualink maybe we can help you get that running. Using a CB as a switch can wear out the CB prematurely.
That has been my gut feeling, so I'm glad you both confirmed it.

Jandy board is completely gone - I've used a multimeter to test a ton of the wiring and the board itself. I'm presuming the thunderstorm we had just before it went out did something (seriously, the transformer down the street caught fire during it - a sight to behold). But honestly, every component on it has been failing slowly for 5+ years, so it could just be time. But thank you for the offer of help.

When the board failed, we had someone rig it to the CB so we could close the pool; I was hoping to have the automation system replaced by now. I just turned it on again for the first time since October for the pool company to test the board themselves, and to do a SLAM while it's on, so hopefully there hasn't been too much use on the CB.

I love a cart filter but if you have a good sand filter there is no need to switch.. If it was bad > yes.. If your water is expensive or they fine you for using to much water > yes

You can move your discharge pipe just about anywhere.. You could also dig a trench and pipe your discharge any where you want :)

How far away is the house plumbing clean out? Although, you may not have a city code to use the clean out for pool overflow, pool discharge when draining, etc. It is not a bad idea, if available, to run your sand filter backwash discharge hose to the clean out and have the discharge sent to the sewer and then treated and not sent to the street or your yard.

l have the ideal set up... about 6' behind my equipment pad is a dry creek bed so the pool builder put PVC directly from my discharge to the dry creek. The ferns get lush back there with frequent rains and my extra water.

Look around and see what your options are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.