Pool company isn't quite sure...

jasons1414

Jun 27, 2020
North Texas
Hello experts! New member and first time posting here on the forum! I have a 20k gallon pool that I changed from salt to chlorine shortly after we bought the home about 3 months ago. The deepest part of my pool is 8ft and I have 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drains and 2 side drains. The main pump is a Pentair 4 speed pump and I have a 1.5 HP Pentair that runs the waterfall and a 3rd pump that controls the polaris. The salt cell was dead and had been dead for quite some time so rather than replacing the salt cell I had it switched back to chlorine. I assume that the previous pool company that was maintaining the pool was just dumping salt in to keep the levels where they needed to be. I have a pool company clean and check my levels weekly and backwash every other week. During the day my pool is crystal clear...BUT at night when my pool light is on there are particles suspended underwater EVERYWHERE. Millions of them. My pool company thinks that since the salt cell was bad then electrolysis of the salt was not occurring and I am probably seeing salt particles. They checked for metals in the pool and have ruled that out. Current salt level is 2000 ppm. A photo is attached of what it looks like at night. In the photo, there are a few larger things on the surface that are blurry but the small particles that you can see in the photo are all suspended. My DE filter has been recently checked and the filters removed and cleaned. When I sweep my hands on the steps and sides there is not dust or anything cloudy. Could this just be salt particles left over? Could it be anything else that is treatable without draining my pool and starting over? It really does look gross at night and I am embarrassed to heave people swim when the light is on. I would appreciate some guidance on the issue.

Attachments

• 20200627_220226.jpg
    20200627_220226.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 52
I do not have the ability to test it myself but I get a report weekly emailed to me. I have an inline chlorinator and they have add it manually as well. 6/24 results are below...

Chlorine: 4ppm
pH: 7.8 (they added Muratic after testing)
Alkalinity: 80ppm
Cyanuric: 50ppm
salt: 2000ppm

The guy that comes by to check levels really hasn't been able to help me much. The last time I talked to him about it he had to take my photo back to a tech and ask someone else. That was when I was told that it "could be" salt left over but I just don't feel that it the right answer. When I am underwater in the late evening and I look towards the sun I can see the particles as well. All suspended. When the light catches them they almost shine. During the day it looks crystal clear from above. It is amazing how different it looks at night.

The methods on this site work but require pool owner's to take an active part in their pool care. Having someone come out once a week and send you a report doesn't help anyone. I suggest you take control of your pool and we can guide you to a trouble-free pool. That they would even suggest you are seeing undissolved salt in the water should be proof enough that they are either incompetent and/or simply trying to placate you.

Reactions: Hootz
I run the pump from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm which is what the pool company suggested. My polaris runs from 9:30 to 11:30 am. In regards to me taking an active role in my pool care, that is what I am trying to do. I am not naive enough to think I can just jump on this myself without at least learning something about it first. I had to google the FC and CYA acronyms if that gives you an idea of my current level of pool knowledge. Since it appears that it is NOT undissolved salt then I am hoping that someone might point me in the right direction of where to start based on my levels provided.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.