Pool cloudy, mostly in deep end

To keep a beautiful clear pool, especially after all the work you put into it, I'd recommend either adding a FAS-DPD test to your own kit, or ordering a Taylor K-2006 or TF-100. You can see a comparison of test kits here. The TF-100 uses Taylor chemicals, but is put together and shipped by a forum member. The Taylor K-2006 is usually found online. The Taylor kits found at pool stores are usually not the K-2006 and don't contain the FAS-DPD drop chlorine test.

Make sure you keep the chlorine up while the pool is still cloudy (unless you meet the FAS-DPD test criteria Butterfly spelled out.) I can tell you from experience that this can be a frustrating time. The green is gone, but the cloudy can take a while (even several weeks for some of us) to totally go away. Just keep in mind - it WILL go away!! Once it does, with the knowledge you've gained (and reading Pool School several more times), you won't have to deal with it again. If you ever do, you'll feel like you know what you're doing from the start.

Congratulations for hanging in there. Keep it up and you'll never believe how clear your water can be.

:party: You're getting there. Keep it up.

While holding your TC over night is definitely a win, don't get lulled into a false sense of security. With a cloudy pool, you could have more CC than FC. It is the FC that is clearing your pool. You have got to maintain the FC at shock level. The longer and more consistently you do this, the quicker your water will clear.

All of that being said, isn't it a great feeling to see your water improving daily? You will be looking into a sparkly deep end before you know it.

Yeah Ive been testing every 1-2 hours. its holding. even during the day today.

but i'm not letting anything off the hook. I'm all over it like white on rice. I basically keep going from pool to tv to pool to tv to fridge to tv.. (world cup and celtics tonight) :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Great job Matty!!!
I will reiterate that it ain't over till it's over. The FAS-DPD kit is must have. Some of us...(ahem, me) have had to shock a crystal clear pool . Had it not been for the FAS-DPD test, I would never have known something was going on or known when to stop shocking.

Glad you are seeing progress, now just don't stop too soon.

:cheers:

Mattyssox said:
i need to have the cc and fc tested(i can only test total chlorine).
It sounds like you don't have your own good test kit yet. Is there a reason for that? You can't really take control of your pool unless you have your own good test kit. You can compare the Taylor K-2006 with the TFTestkits TF-100 in this post. Since it sounds like you already have some sort of lesser test kit that probably has a pH test, you could get the TF-50 instead if price is an issue (the TF-100 is more economical per test since it has a larger volume of reagents).

nice progress this morning. shallow end crystal clear. deep end is getting clearer further down. the main drain now looks like a blurry white thing in the middle, rather than not being able to see anything. I've never seen the blurry white thing since i bought the house. progress.

as i mentioned, i ordered the taylor k2006 kit, so hopefully this week?? (they don't give those away huh..)

another question.

once i get this thing clear and I'm holding chlorine, how long before it is 'safe' to get in the water. I don't want green hair and I don't want to fry our skin. Will this just be a matter of testing the water till it's back down?

The answer I've seen most often on here is that it's safe to swim at chlorine levels anywhere below shock level. I keep my CYA at 40, so my shock level is 16 (by the Chlorine/CYA Chart). I've been targeting for about 9 in the evening to clear up some residual cloudiness from opening this year and think nothing of me or the family getting in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yeah. well with this shocking going on, my pool has been WELL over the 10 or 12 mark that the chlorine test shows. The chlorine test goes up to yellow and mine has been reading a yellowish orange while I've been shocking it. I have a new test in the mail. But I'm just wondering at what point is it too high to swim in there.

I love my K-2006. I'm sure you will too. And once you get a handle on testing daily and see how easy it is, you're going to be amazed. When your kit comes in test away. Post a full set of results and we'll take it from there. You will definitly know your levels and where they need to be for you to swim. Happy testing!

pool progressing. shallow end very clear. in the deep end, its not crystal clear yet, but I can see the blurry white main drain. So that is progress. Had some chlorine loss yesterday over the course of the entire day i was at work. So I just have to keep this monitored.

once my kit arrives, i will post test results.

got test kit in. I absolutely do not understand the chlorine directions that came with it. if anyone has the easy version of directions, please let me know. otherwise i will google it. i bought the taylor k2006 kit.

cya was 25-30. we get direct sunlight so I wonder if I may need to raise that a tad?

Matty,
Did you figure out the chlorine test? Does the inside of your top cover have directions? My chlorine directions are in yellow, hence the yellow top containers. Is yours like this?

If so, put water up to 10 ml line, add 2 scoops of powder, swirl. If chlorine is present it will turn pink. Add r-0871, one drop at a time while swirling. Keep track of your drop count. When it turns clear stop. Count your drops divide by 2. This is your FC. example: If it took 7 drops then FC is 3.5.

Then to same sample add 5 drops of r-0003, swirl. If it turns pink then CC's are present. Add r-0871, one drop at a time. Stop when it turns clear. Count drops, divide by 2. This is your CC level. example: If it took 1 drop then CC is .5. If it turns clear after adding the 5 drops you have no CCs, stop test.

Hope this helps!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.