Pool cleaner replacement

H,

I suggest that you step out of the 1960's and move into this Century and buy a Robot cleaner.. Like this one as an example...

No need to run your pool pump to clean the pool and it does a better job and scrubs the walls and waterline tile.

Thanks,

Jim R.

H,

I suggest that you step out of the 1960's and move into this Century and buy a Robot cleaner.. Like this one as an example...

No need to run your pool pump to clean the pool and it does a better job and scrubs the walls and waterline tile.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Interesting. Thank you for your reply.

If I understand correctly it's electricity powered cleaner. Does it just stays under water all the time as the pressure cleaner or i need to put it in for the duration of cleaning? Also what is the usual lifespan of this type of cleaner

Tanning ledge? Baja shelf? Heck, I don't know what it's called, but you can see it in my profile pic.

Sorry HEKTO, not trying to hi-jack. I've been considering a robot myself.
No problem:) The more we learn about various pool cleaner alternatives the better :)

I'm little confused how Dolphine is operated. Looks like there is some kind of control unit, that plugs in into an electric outlet and then another cable plugs in into this control unit. So the control unit stays outdoor 24x7? I think it will just deteriorate very quickly if exposed to sun/rain. Am I missing something?

If I understand correctly it's electricity powered cleaner. Does it just stays under water all the time as the pressure cleaner or i need to put it in for the duration of cleaning? Also what is the usual lifespan of this type of cleaner

H,

I have three of them.. The two at rent houses stay in the pool all the time unless taken out by the renters when swimming.. In the summer, the one at my house comes out when it is done, as I don't like to see it in my pool.. and I tend to only need to run it every few days.. In the winter I am not so picky and it often stays in several days and only comes out when the weather is nice. The idea that you "must" take them out each day is total bull stuff... :mrgreen:

They have internal filters, that need to be cleaned. How often depends on how much "stuff' sinks to the bottom of your pool.. I usually clean all three of mine about once a week, during my normal routine maintenance.

I have been using robots a long time.. I originally bought two used Dolphin Diagnostics.. I used them for about 8 years before going with the current S200s.. I also had a Dolphin Premier at my pool which I moved to a rent house pool... It is over five years old and still working fine.

If you decide to buy one, I suggest that you call Margaret at Marina Pool and Spa... No internet sales, must be by phone. An S200 is/was $699 with no tax and free 2 day shipping.

Thanks,

Jim R.

H,

I have three of them.. The two at rent houses stay in the pool all the time unless taken out by the renters when swimming.. In the summer, the one at my house comes out when it is done, as I don't like to see it in my pool.. and I tend to only need to run it every few days.. In the winter I am not so picky and it often stays in several days and only comes out when the weather is nice. The idea that you "must" take them out each day is total bull stuff... :mrgreen:

They have internal filters, that need to be cleaned. How often depends on how much "stuff' sinks to the bottom of your pool.. I usually clean all three of mine about once a week, during my normal routine maintenance.

I have been using robots a long time.. I originally bought two used Dolphin Diagnostics.. I used them for about 8 years before going with the current S200s.. I also had a Dolphin Premier at my pool which I moved to a rent house pool... It is over five years old and still working fine.

If you decide to buy one, I suggest that you call Margaret at Marina Pool and Spa... No internet sales, must be by phone. An S200 is/was $699 with no tax and free 2 day shipping.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you for your explanation. However i'm still not clear how this robots needs to be setup. Is there a control unit of some kind? do u mount it somewhere near your pool? from what i have see in videos these control units don't look weather resistant

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine has a cart with a control unit on it. It is weather resistant, but my long term plan is to keep it in a shed when not in use and just wheel it out to the pool when I want to use it. Right now it just is plugged in, somewhat protected by the overhang of the house.

IMG_6260.jpg

IMG_6262.jpg

Yea. This is not very practical for my situation. I don't have a covered area right by the pool. Having cables/hoses laying on the pathway also not very convenient. For me to make this new type of cleaner work I will need to install a new outlet, dig thru concrete and lawn to bring power to the other side of the pool, build some kind of shade there etc. Seems like an expensive project. Not trying to be negative, but it seems like just buying a new pressure pool cleaner will be the easiest for me

H,

Not a problem here.. Our job is to provide you with info and your job is to decide what will work for you and what won't... :mrgreen:

Let's see if we can get some of our pressure side cleaner owners to chime in..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses :cheers:

Currently debating between Polaris 280 and Polaris 360. Looks like Polaris 360 is cheaper and doesn't require boost pump. Too good to be true? :)

Anyone that has experience using either one of these cleaners?

Take a look at the Polaris Quattro. I replaced my old Pentair Racer, this is a far superior unit. Do not have to worry about emptying a bag it has a canister like the robots ! The design of the gears that turn the 4 wheels is way better than anything else I have seen. Give it a look!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.