Pool Cleaner Hoses

OddMike

Sep 19, 2021
Monterey CA
I have a question about pool hoses.

I have a Zodiac MX 6 suction side pool cleaner which uses proprietary interlocking pool cleaner hose segments. Several of these cleaner hose segments have broken. Replacements for these cleaner hose segments are expensive - about $25 each for a cleaner hose segment that is about 4 feet.

I have seen some adapters with one end that has the proprietary cleaner hose segment interlocking connector that connects to the Zodiac MX6 or MX8 suction side pool cleaner and the other end that would fit a standard pool vacuum hose (the adapter is called the Zodiac Pool Systems X77094 Suction Adapter for Swimming Pools) I have thought of using the adapter and replacing the proprietary cleaner hose segments with a standard pool vacuum hose for about $30 which would provide significant savings. Several reviews on the product said they did that.

However, I was told by one of the pool stores that the standard pool vacuum hose is for manual vacuuming only and it is not to be used with automated pool cleaners.

Is that true?

If true, can someone please explain?

Why are standard pool hoses to be used only for manual pool vacuuming?

So, would it not be good for me to try to replace the proprietary hoses using an adapter to the pool cleaner and the standard pool hose that we have for manually vacuuming the pool to the skimmer?

Hi and welcome,
You can use any hose or hose links. The problem with say a 30ft hose is it may get tangled. By using links you can get the exact desired length. You want the hose to reach the furthest part of the pool from where it connects. If it’s longer it may tangle. I have used generic or standard 4ft links on a mx8.
@mknauss because you said the magic word “pool store”

Now that I've heard this, I've found it too in looking at some standard pool hoses on Amazon - to not use the hose with automated pool cleaners. For example, Amazon's choice for pool cleaning hose and it's #1 Best Seller, has in it's very first note in "About this Item":
  • Not made to work on automatic suction type cleaners, (or robotic) pool cleaners; for use with standard swimming pool vacuum head and telescopic pole for manual vacuuming
It is also in its Product Description:
  • Hose should be used with a standard swimming pool vacuum head and a telescopic pole for manual pool vacuuming only and should not be used with automatic pool cleaners.
Besides as you say that it may get tangled, why would it stipulate not to use its product for automated pool cleaners? It even uses a strong word - "only" for manual pool vacuuming that is a bit of concern - and this is the #1 Best Seller.

You mentioned you used 4 foot lengths - have you used a 30 foot pool vacuum hose on the MX8 successfully?

I’m sorry I should clarify, I have used a 30ft on a Hayward navigator but only temporarily. It would work if it’s the exact length needed. But not recommend. Often times the manual hoses are cheaply made and kink and if it’s too long it will tangle. They are also wrapped in circles and will retain this shape, that will limit the movement of the robot. If the 30ft hose gets a puncture you will have to replace the whole hose instead of a single link.
I think using the adapters with generic hoses would be your best option. Zodiac Pool Systems X77094 Suction Adapter for Swimming Pool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4QG8FW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JY84618TBD4WT7G923N8
Connects to the top of mx8

Zodiac Manual Vac Head Hose Adaptor, Cleaner Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4HV82T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NY8XDP2TTYSQR91101J2
For cyclone

POOLWHALE Vacuum Hose/Replacement Pool Hose -1.5” 8 Hoses for Pool,Spa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DVYMZ7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JRYJ469X8P6TTE9EDQ24
Hose links that fit between

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.