Pool Chlorine Issue

Is it possible that algae could be stuck in my filter? It has not been cleaned for many years. Could that cause chlorine to drop so fast? As I don't see anything else where it could be hiding.

Thank you pooldv,

I have no idea how much more I should keep SLAMing for. I know I am waiting for the OCLT to get to 1PPM drop at most, however I feel like I will not get there. Something keeps eating it away. I drop around 10-15 PPM a day when holding it at 24.

FC is lost as a percentage to sunlight (UV light). So if you're in maintenance mode and your FC is at 6 ppm, you might lose 40% of your FC to sunlight each day. That would be 2.4 ppm. If you're maintaining 24 ppm for a SLAM, you're losing 9.6 ppm at that same 40% rate. Just to sunlight. Couple that with still having some algae present and it's easy to see double digit FC losses during a SLAM on a warm, sunny day. Keep at it and hope for some cloudy days to lessen the FC loss.

Hi! I never knew that, that provides me with some
confidence. Today was cold and cloudy, and SURPRISE SURPRISE, FC didn't drop that much. Maybe 1.5ppm from
the early morning to noon and another 2ppm from noon to 5pm. I added avout
750ml of chlorine twice to keep it
at 24.

if I recall correctly, the OCLT last night to today was maybe 1.5-1.8ppm. Hopefully today is the last day.

you think if I maintain the minimum 4 to target 7 daily, I should get no algae blooms? And drops to sunlight would be within 2-3 range at that point? Why does
sunlight burn more FC with more FC in it than with less? I would think the opposite would hold true?

There is no independent FC ppm to shoot for, it's based on your CYA.

It's a percentage, like JVTrain said. 25% of 10 (2.5) is more than a 25% of 5 (1.25).

Thank you! That reassures me I should be okay! I thought if I am losing about 10PPM a day in morning, maybe when I go to maintenance mode I will go to 0. I guess that is not the case. Well we will see what happens at maintenance! :)

Hi so I did another OCLT and I got 2-3ppm loss. This is the third day I'm losing about the same FC nightly. Could it be because it is below 60 F at night?

thanks

I test 3 times a day and vacuum once a day. I scrubbed every edge I could think of, I can't find a place there could be anything hiding

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm . . . No idea guess I'll have to drain and refill maybe the chlorine don't get rid of whatever is in there.

So your saying that a drain nor keeping slam level will help at this point? I have to find the sticky stuff in order to fix my issue?

Okay, maybe theirs an issue with my testing.

i checked the water at night near the shallow end at elbows length water sample FC - 28 with magnetic stirrer. In morning 25.

i tried taking another test immediately after in morning in deepend and without stirrer, I got FC 29-30. Than I tried stirrer with sample from deepend, FC - 27. I wonder if my FC was higher yesterday in deepend than 28. So depends where the sample is from, it could be viewed I lost 1-3 ppm on the OCLT.

could you advise you if I should redo it with sample all from deepend without stirrer? Or, it doesn't matter? I find maybe theirs some bacteria on hands and when the magnet is dropped it could be skewing the tests. Otherwise I'm not sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.