Pool Chlorine Issue

Would you recommend I increase shock too 40?

something causing it to lose more, or is this normal and still to early to quit the slam process

There is no benefit to raising FC above shock level for your CYA. The two most important things to make a SLAM go quickly is to test multiple times per day and raise the FC back to shock level and brush daily or more.

So the OCLT dropped 2 ppm. I held it from 31 - 29. Although there was a bit of sun out when I got out, I doubt it would make that big of a change. Weird thing is, throughout the day it drops 15 ppm but at night only 2-3.

Any other tips suggestions? Do I keep going?

CC is 0. Check every time.

once I had it 1.0 - 1.5 when I started the process. However, now I have 0. My FC is 29 in morning and 31 at night.

- - - Updated - - -

CYA remeasured is close to 50. Two tests showed 50, one showed 55.

Yes. And yes.

i checked the FC again. Still 29. Gonna check again in few hours.

Could it be the several copper stains that make my FC go down? Or, the thermometer in pool? I mean it's strange that OCLT drop 2ppm and during sunlight by end of day drops 15

So I scrubbed the entire pool, vacuumed, back washed and rinsed. It's been 3 and a half hours since my last FC test. I got about 24 now. Since morning it dropped 5ppm. However, first half morning was cloudy and major drops in FC started when sun came out.

Maybe my LC I put in is bad quality. Going to try and buy a more expensive one.

I will top up more LC now to bump it up to 26 and retest in 3 hours.

ill do another OCLT. My feeling is it could be the sun dropping it that fast. I guess I could always keep the FC at 15 and top it up nightly. If it drops from 15 to 0, I can top it up to 15 everyday?

any other solutions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So if you're slamming, you need to make sure you're checking frequently and putting the FC back up to SLAM levels any time you find that it is below that. The sun will certainly burn off some of your chlorine, but some of it is likely also killing things in the water that need killing.

If your chlorine is dropping from 15 to zero in less than a day, it's pretty likely you're fighting algae. Most balanced pools only lose around 2-4ppm a day (depending on weather, swimmer load, etc).

Well I calculated in 18 hours and 30 minutes it dropped from 31 to 21. I just topped it
off to make sure it's at 24 for the first time today. I lost 10ppm in 18.5 hours mostly cloudy weather. About 4 hours of extreme sun and heat.

how long does it typically take for slam process to finish working? Water is clear, cya 60, maintaining slam at 24 FC. 0 cc. Been 4 days.

You need to pass an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test). Considering you lost nearly 10ppm in 18 hours, I'm not sure you're quite done. Have you double checked that any ladders (under the steps, inside the ballast chamber or other plastic hollows, etc), behind light fixtures, etc. are all free and clear of algae?

My last SLAM took 4 days- everything else was fine clear water etc etc just an abnormal FC demand that set the train in motion.

This can be where the 'patience' factor kicks in you just to maintain the shock level as much as possible and follow the SLAM procedure. Your still losing a fair bit of FC.

I see I was ready to give up feels like I'm just wasting chemicals, time and money. Guess I'll try for a few more days.

Having the FC level above shock level is a waste of chlorine and the decay rate of FC is increased on a percentage basis. So, it will drop more and more as the level increases above shock level.

Hi, I am using ~10% LC.

I did another OCLT test and this time
i lost about 3.5-4 ppm. Worse than before.

If it doesn't get better in a week, I would have been holding it for 2 weeks with crystal clear water. I wonder if my CYA is higher than 60. Maybe I should be holding it at 30 instead of 24... Also, as you mentioned I would be dropping FC at a higher percentage rate if I hold above shock level. Maybe my CYA is actually 50 not 60. If I hold it at 22 maybe it wouldn't drop as fast as you pointed out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.