Pool can't keep chlorine ARRRGGH!

I haven't followed this thread perfectly, but I can't figure out why we are SLAMming this pool. Isn't the water crystal clear?

Yes, the water is crystal clear. But, it's still dropping chlorine. I will do a full set of tests again this evening and post where I stand now. And I'll do the overnight test to see what type of chlorine I lost over night. My CC was down from 1 to 0.5 this morning.

Your CC is going down which is good. You need to shoot for around 40 CYA and you should notice that you will be able to keep FC easier. I agree with the above post as to why this pool is being SLAMed? It is clear and your levels seem okay. Just need to get that CYA up a lil. You have a pretty big pool and most people on here add chlorine daily with pools that size.

Do another round of tests and post the results with your photos later. At least your water is clear, you are on track.

I think OP should post a set of current test results and we'll go from there.
Yes, the water is crystal clear. But, it's still dropping chlorine.
How much over what period and what was the starting point? Need a lot more information before we suggest a SLAM (or any definitive path, for that matter)

Get those test results posted up and let's all take a fresh look at this. Pics are nice but if it's crystal clear, pics don't help.

Alright here is my current results. I am still new to the testing so I did my best. Pool is still crystal clear.

FC: 3
CC: 1
CYA: 30
pH: 7.2
CH: 325
TA 130-140 (Felt it started changing color at 13 but was full on at 14, not sure which to go with?)

I haven't added chlorine since this morning so I will let it go and check my chlorine first thing to see where I stand.

Also, on a side note.. Is it okay to dump these vials after I am done mixing out on concrete? Or will any of the drops stain concrete? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't wait until morning to bump your FC. You're on the low end of the CYA/FC scale.

I don't test anywhere near my pool. I take a sample with a water bottle and test in my pool bathroom sink. I do have to occasionally scour the sink heavier than a normal cleaning because of the splash from testing.

Alright here is my current results. I am still new to the testing so I did my best. Pool is still crystal clear.

FC: 3
CC: 1
CYA: 30
pH: 7.2
CH: 325
TA 130-140 (Felt it started changing color at 13 but was full on at 14, not sure which to go with?)

I haven't added chlorine since this morning so I will let it go and check my chlorine first thing to see where I stand.

Also, on a side note.. Is it okay to dump these vials after I am done mixing out on concrete? Or will any of the drops stain concrete? Thanks.

the CC of 1 is a bit concerning. I would do the overnight chlorine loss test tonight. target a FC of around 10ppm or so, add the bleach, and test 1/2 hour later. this should all be done at or after sun down. record what your FC value is. then you will retest in the morning and confirm your overnight loss of FC is 1ppm or lower. you need to be very careful that when you do your FC tests that the level of the water in the test tube is exactly 10.0ml, get eye level with the water to confirm. being off by 0.5ml each time could give you false pass or fail depending on if you are over or under the 10.0ml mark.

also, I do test next to the pool and I usually dump the tubes at the edge of my pool and then splash pool water to wash it off. I have never had a problem, but my concrete deck is painted with that pool paint stuff.

Still battling the FC loss. Once I started making sure I was at 10mL on the dot I have been consistently getting a 0.5 CC. Last night before bed (3 hours since last addition of chlorine) my FC was a 9. First thing this morning I'm at a 4.5. I leave for a week on Saturday I'm just afraid when I get back I'm going to be back where I started with a green pool.

Andy, after reviewing the past few posts on you thread, there seems to be a common problem ... low FC. Based on your CYA of 30, your FC (for a SLAM) should never drop below 12. If you don't "consistently maintain" that FC of 12, the bleach (chlorine) will not have an opportunity to work as designed and overcome the algae. Don't get too hung-up on the CC readings right now, just keep adding bleach to maintain an FC of 12 and let the bleach do the work. Don't forget to continue to sweep, vacuum, and clean the filter everyday.

Still battling the FC loss. Once I started making sure I was at 10mL on the dot I have been consistently getting a 0.5 CC. Last night before bed (3 hours since last addition of chlorine) my FC was a 9. First thing this morning I'm at a 4.5. I leave for a week on Saturday I'm just afraid when I get back I'm going to be back where I started with a green pool.

ok, well that confirms a SLAM is needed. as others mentioned above, that FC needs to stay at or slightly above your SLAM value for your CYA. your CYA is pretty low, so get a floater and throw in some pucks while you are gone. adding some CYA isn't going to hurt you since you are low anyway at 30. have you removed your light, ladders, etc from the pool yet? if not, need to do that asap.

you have two days to hit the pool very aggressively. you need to be testing and adding bleach as regularly as you can and keeping that FC up. before you leave you need to get the FC up and see if you can get someone to come by at least once or twice and add bleach to the pool.

the pool will be there when you get back, enjoy your vacation!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.