Pool can't keep chlorine ARRRGGH!

Note: The scale for CYA is not linear. Usually they just say to report it as the next higher whole number. So you would report 30.

Thanks pabeader. Hope people will excuse my knowledge on pools. After this last experience at pool store I hope to not have to return.
This test kit is kind of fun. I'm a pharmacist and this kind of takes me back to college chemistry class! :)

Alright guys. This was my first attempt at doing them all but followed instructions!

CYA 30
FC 3
C1 1
TC 4
TA 150-160
CH 425

I have been adding liquid chlorine every so often to try to maintain at least some chlorine levels while waiting for kit. Holding chlorine for at least 12 hours now. If FC falls below 3 I've been adding some more and checking again in 3 hours.

Yes, I did. Just haven't responded... But will. Late night tonight!

Did you read the article about slamming yet? You need to do that. We can easily fix TA later.

What is your pH? Let's make sure that's in a good range for the SLAM.

Here is the link on the SLAM. Two keys to success: get it to shock level and KEEP it there, and when preparing for the OCLT, test between 1/2 to 1 hour after your last addition of the night.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Test your fill water for TA and CH and record them somewhere. Also, let us know your results. That high CH is probably because of the cal-hypo. It's high but not THAT horrible with your vinyl liner.

One more question... (Hope it's not too much right now!). You said the pool $tore said you could go back to the pucks after chlorine held. How did you used to add pucks? Floater, in-line chlorinator? If chlorinator, empty that puppy out. Save any left-over pucks for vacations AFTER we get your pool fixed. They will keep for a long time in a dark, cool place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting, I've never seen that in all the posts I've read. But hey, I ain't read them all, yet :) Even the longtime folks say to go up to the next one. I Will stick that in the ole brain and have it for next time. Thanks for the info!

Be sure to mix your CYA testing solution for at least 30 seconds before pouring it into the tube to test. I found this is where TF-100 and Taylor K-2006 kits differed slightly. However, the EXTENDED TF-100 directions (sticky at the top of the Testing & Balancing Your Water forum) do say to do this.

Be sure to mix your CYA testing solution for at least 30 seconds before pouring it into the tube to test. I found this is where TF-100 and Taylor K-2006 kits differed slightly. However, the EXTENDED TF-100 directions (sticky at the top of the Testing & Balancing Your Water forum) do say to do this.

Thanks Agent for suggestion. I went and retested. I started the sock method to add some CYA last night. From what I've read it takes a few days for that to show. But, after shaking the solution first. If i was estimating exact numbers, I would say my CYA went from a 22 to a 25.

I was using the 50 ppm R-7065. This is a control solution of water and CYA that is 50 ppm CYA. You can use this to 'calibrate' your eye and method to ensure that you are getting accurate readings with your own pool water. Well until I realized that I was NOT mixing for 30 seconds, I was having a hard time getting 50 ppm readings using the control solution. In fact, I was getting erroneously high readings for some strange reason. It wasn't until I got the Taylor K-2006 kit (I already had the TF-100 kit for a while) that I noticed the slight discrepancy in the instructions.

Anyway, mix your pool water and R-0013 for 30 seconds and then dump it into the CYA tube. :party:

Stop adding CYA, it is high enough and start The SLAM Process, see my signature for the link.

Make sure the pH is 7.2-7.5 and stock up on bleach. Your SLAM FC minimum level is 12 for a CYA level of 30. You want to maintain the FC at 12 or slightly above for as long as it takes to complete the process.

Stop adding CYA, it is high enough and start The SLAM Process, see my signature for the link.

Make sure the pH is 7.2-7.5 and stock up on bleach. Your SLAM FC minimum level is 12 for a CYA level of 30. You want to maintain the FC at 12 or slightly above for as long as it takes to complete the process.

10-4. I guess I totally missed on the sheet how to test pH with the TF-100. I will test this evening after work. Thanks ping for the advice.

Also, I'm not sure if you know it (ignore me if you do), but the pH test when FC is >10 doesn't work correctly so no worries about pH whilst SLAMa-whamming. That's why it is suggested to lower it to 7.2ish before starting. Good Luck!!

Also, I'm not sure if you know it (ignore me if you do), but the pH test when FC is >10 doesn't work correctly so no worries about pH whilst SLAMa-whamming. That's why it is suggested to lower it to 7.2ish before starting. Good Luck!!

Gotcha! Well last time pool store (excuse me for cussing like that, ha!) checked it. It was like a 7.1. Thanks again guys for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.