Pool builder question

A relax/fun pool=4'5" to me.................okay try this see where each depth hits you THEN knell down and do it again and go from there.
I do hear you. I am 6'2". I reached out the the builder, would like to make it work with them as they are the most highly recommended company around, but that stupid green rectangle thing keeps getting in the way.

Potential pool builder said to go to 6' deep end would be $900, which we can and will do. Also priced out pushing the pool from 5' to 8' off of the house. I spray painted the layout on the lawn and that feels much better. $1200 for the extended decking.

This particular pool builder is known for "sub decking" the pavers. Pouring a 4" concrete slab as a sub base, base rock, and then the paver deck. Any one have experience on whether that is worth the extra cost? Roughly $1300 after the extension I assume.

Got another solid plan from another builder that has a tad more deck, a sunshelf, and a better overall feel. I also had another bid that was equally nice but 14 x28, but it was quite a bit more expensive without the extra deck (3') by the spa or the thin pavers that transition our screen in lanai from pool to home. I will ask this builder about going from 12' W to 14' W as well.

I also may move the light on the sunshelf to the shallow end of the pool considering it has a bubbler with a light already. Also thinking of removing that coping on the corner of the spa and just having that all overflow.

I work mostly with Pentair/Sta-Rite (commercial, 1 speed, 3 phase) equipment. It seems like as long as its Pentair, Hayward, or Jandy equipment its pretty safe. Is that accurate? How is the Jandy salt system? Should I consider an Auto pilot system over the Jandy?

Attachments

• Contemp 3d.png
    Contemp 3d.png
    412.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Contemp 2D.png
    Contemp 2D.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 23
  • contemp prop.png
    contemp prop.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I like everything you have already thought of for this design. The spill over being more open will enhance it. Make sure your can turn the bubbler light on even if you don't want the bubbler working. You might just want the light without the noise of the bubbler.

@Jimrahbe can you jump in for the equipment please

Kim:kim:

Johnathan,

I don't see anything on your equipment list that raises any red flags..

I like that you are getting a VS pump, as it is almost mandatory when you have a SWCG.

I am a little confused about the SWCG.. It is listed under equipment and then again under options with an additional charge. Just want to make sure you are not being charged for two of them.. :mrgreen:

Personally I think there should be a return on each wall of the pool, so 4 instead of 3.

Since you are in Florida, I would not add an auto-fill... I would have them plumb in a fill line back to the equipment pad, but NOT through the hole in the skimmer. Then you can add a line to your hose bib.. Filling manually is a good way to stay in "touch" with your pool...

I like the overflow, but would make sure that it goes somewhere other than just into the ground right next to the pool.. Should go into the deck drains or to open air, downhill and away from the pool.

Have you ever used a gunite spa??? If not, please try one, before you buy one.. Spas are the most oversold and underused items in a pool build.

Hope you have a great pool build..

Jim R.

Reactions: kimkats
Johnathan,

I don't see anything on your equipment list that raises any red flags..

I like that you are getting a VS pump, as it is almost mandatory when you have a SWCG.

I am a little confused about the SWCG.. It is listed under equipment and then again under options with an additional charge. Just want to make sure you are not being charged for two of them.. :mrgreen:

Personally I think there should be a return on each wall of the pool, so 4 instead of 3.

Since you are in Florida, I would not add an auto-fill... I would have them plumb in a fill line back to the equipment pad, but NOT through the hole in the skimmer. Then you can add a line to your hose bib.. Filling manually is a good way to stay in "touch" with your pool...

I like the overflow, but would make sure that it goes somewhere other than just into the ground right next to the pool.. Should go into the deck drains or to open air, downhill and away from the pool.

Have you ever used a gunite spa??? If not, please try one, before you buy one.. Spas are the most oversold and underused items in a pool build.

Hope you have a great pool build..

Jim R.
I Emailed him this morning with the request for a price to make it 14' wide and the shallow end 3'6", as well as clarification on the price sheet about the SWCG. I caught that as well, thank you. I have used a gunite spa's quite a bit. I like them for ease of maintenance vs a stand alone as well as the visual . I know they dont have nearly as many features or comforts. Wife also wants one. I am in SW Florida, so for the few weeks in the winter when we wont heat the pool, we can at least use the spa.

Noted on the auto-fill and returns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm very pro auto fillers and would put one in regardless.

I don't know how many I've installed but I've yet to have a problem with the Stetson Auto Fillers. It has a port in the canister for an overflow as well.

I think most of the issues reported with auto fillers come from the versions with the cheap toilet type fillers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.