Pool Builder Issues - Advice Needed

Brick Bossload

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
Texas - Dripping Springs
My pool was finished in late August of 2017. I reported apparent leaks around the skimmers in April of 2018 and as of last week a bucket test still shows we are losing a significant amount of water. I've been consistently adding 3-4 inches of water a week for years. Between then and now they have attempted multiple repairs that have consisted of applying putty, re-grouting coping stone & applying new finishing concrete around one of the skimmers.

Here are some photos of one of the skimmer exteriors from April of this year:
20200414_092745 - Copy.jpg
20200414_092800 - Copy.jpg
20200414_092813 - Copy.jpg

Here are several photos from this June, a few weeks after they made putty repairs to fix leaks and re finished a skimmer exterior:

skimmer ext post repair - Copy.jpgskimmer ext post repair 2 - Copy.jpg

Here is the current state inside one of the skimmers:
skimmer inside - Copy.jpg
coping_to_tile - Copy.jpg

One skimmer is exposed and the other is surrounded by decking. Both look similar on the inside and have leaks. I have been advised by the PB that these issues are due to the pool "settling" over time and this is somewhat normal. The pool sits on 2-4' of dirt and everything below that had to be excavated with a hydraulic hammer (Texas Hill Country).

My opinion is that the skimmer's may be beyond simple putty and re-finishing on the exterior. Both of the plastic skimmer boxes are warped. I don't believe that this is what a 3 year old pool skimmers should look like. Last time they were out they also advised that the coping stone to water line tile separation is no longer covered under warranty. I disagree with that as the issues are only around both skimmers and seem to be directly related to the ongoing structural/leak issues with the skimmers.

I've compiled a summary of all PB email correspondence with dates, photos exchanged and when repairs were made (lot of emails from me asking for status and no reply for months). I plan to email their GM with my complaints about the repairs and process so far and try and get their commitment/plan to provide a permanent fix for these issues. If they are unable to fix the issues in a timely manner I guess I would need to look into arbitration or just hire someone else to fix the issues.

Curious what this subs thoughts are on this and how would you recommend dealing with this going forward.

I've also contacted a reputable third party company to come and diagnose the situation and provide a quote for repairs.

Well that stinks. Never like to see anyone go through this, and with such a new pool? Around S.A., our gumbo soil shifts and settles with each season, but with the rock in the Hill Country I don't get it. Even so, the builder is supposed to know their soil conditions and/or have the soil tested and engineered for proper support. It's good you are taking the logical steps to elevate and hopefully get them to step-up. In the meantime, let's get some experts on this one like @bdavis466 and @jimmythegreek to fill us in on what they would recommend from this point forward - short of a hard drink and lots of aspirin. :hammer:

Do you have any pictures of the steel prior to gunite?
I do but unfortunately I did not take detailed photos myself. I don't have anything that shows the skimmers directly. I have CCTV footage of the entire build I can review if that's helpful. These are from the PB's ready for gunite job report:

rebar_1.PNG
rebar_2.PNG
rebar_3.PNG

Here is another picture of the skimmer from 9/17/2018, about 12 months after the pool was built:
20180917_182641 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• rebar_1.PNG
    rebar_1.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Cant really see the skimmer box rebar in those...

I don't have much to offer but a proper fix is going to take a whole lot of demo. The builder seems focused on the exterior cracks but that's just cosmetics. There is a serious internal structural defect.

Reactions: splashpad
Zooming in I dont really see a cage around the skimmers. Looks like they looped over the top of throat amd just met that. Theres alot of weight cantilevered on the bond beam with the settling under the skimmers concrete shell. I agree with Brian that hes worried about cosmetics. The proper fix isn't a fun one at all. Real care would have to be taken during demo to keep damage above tile line to avoid plaster damage. This is likely a rip out of both skimmers and a redo. If this was my repair I would probably attempt the free standing skimmer first with a dig out down to the rock amd a footing under it then try salvaging what's there if possible. The one in the pool deck is gonna be a pain and messy. Hope you still have a few tiles or can get some

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.