Pool Build in Orlando - Looking for input

jcapoverdispalding

Aug 26, 2021
Orlando, FL
This is our very first pool and our very first quote. We’re in the process of getting more quotes but does this look like a quality setup? Anything we should ask about changing? We’re going to be changing out the travertine for pavers, but everything else we thought was okay. We think the quote is a smidge high but with little experience with pools we could be way off lol.

E3D3355B-5681-4DB5-B0E9-F0128444434A.jpg

029E3B4A-8792-4BB4-BDBE-B85B78682B83.png

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Overall looks fine. Cost is really local, so get comparison quotes.
In one spot it says Pentair Intellitouch and another Pentair EasyTouch. Both of those are old technology. I suggest you get them to use the Intellicenter with integrated SWCG.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: jcapoverdispalding
I just did an owner-build in Winter Garden, this price looks pretty good for your design with a builder.

A couple things you may think about...

Get more detail on the filter. With screen enclosure, 200sf will work for you, but make sure they aren't undersizing it.

I would personally skip the autofill and save the money. With our humidity and rain, you really shouldn't have to add water very often, unless you have a leak... which will be masked by an autofill. I am currently dealing with a leak and probably wouldn't have noticed too much without really scrutinizing my bills if I had the autofill.

Most here will say to skip the vac line and use a robot. I did, my plumber thought I was crazy though. Just something to think about.

Agree on getting the intellicenter

Check the plumbing size, with that large of a pool, you'll want upsized plumbing most likely, also, 6 jets may be lacking in the large spa (I have 7 in my 7x7 spa), along with that though, you'll need pretty large piping to get the flow you will want. You'll also probably want an air blower on the spa.

Reactions: jcapoverdispalding
Out of curiosity-why are you wanting to swap out travertine for pavers? I'm guessing for cost, and I'd be curious to see the price difference. I've heard travertine is the way because pavers can get very hot to walk on.
A neighbor has experience with travertine and said they get really slippery and with an accident prone 7 year old that made us a little nervous lol. This company has the travertine only $500 more than pavers for the coping, they’ll also do a sandblasted marble for the same price as the travertine. Another company we talked to said the travertine was $15/sq ft more than paver and then marble was $100 more per sq ft so there seems to be a big range on that 🤷🏻‍♀️

The vacation house we stayed at had travertine and that was the hottest, most slippery pool deck surface I've walked on. We're going with pavers for ours for the same reasons; cost and small children.

Hey there! I just finished a pool build (wrapping up the last few things with the PB but we’ve been in the pool for a few weeks). I signed for my pool in February of this year and built a 20x30 pool with spa. My PB used Jandy equipment instead of Pentair. The PB’s around Orlando that use Pentair do seem to charge more than the Jandy builders but my pool ia roughly the same size, had some extra features and came in about $28k less. You do have a screen, which adds somewhere between $11-14k, but I would definitely get some other quotes.
I agree with OrlandoBull about the auto fill. I considered it but decided against it as it would mask leaks and leaks on a new build are fairly common. Since you are doing the automation, be sure to think about what you want to control. If you want to be able to control when the bubbler comes on, deck jets, etc, make sure you specify. A lot of pool builders will set you up with one pump and you will have to choose between operating the water features or the spa. I added a second pump so that I could enjoy the water features while I was in the spa.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Everything is pretty fresh in my mind and I got quotes from probably half a dozen pool builders.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.