Pool Build -- Annapolis, MD

End of Day 1

We found an abandoned well in the shallow end -- where the bucket of the bobcat is sitting. Second change order! Glad DH is an engineer and can certify an upgraded rebar plan for free!

We have a pair of "living umbrellas" that may need to go -- 20+ year old Natchez Crepe Myrtles. See the building permit hanging from one? :p

A well????????? OUCH!

I have to ask this...............so your husband can do the "engineer" work/sign off even though it is HIS property and in his best interest to do so as far a saving money and time? That is neat!

BYE, BYE trees! Once they are done holding the permits cut them down! LOL

Kim

Yep, he's a licensed civil engineer and he does this kind of work (on a much grander scale) for a living, so he is certainly capable. We'll take down the 4+ feet of concrete casing, then fill the 4" well casing with concrete, then beef up the rebar over top. Should be fine. fwiw, I am a licensed PE (civil engineering), too, but I don't routinely do construction work so I'm not qualified to make a call on this.

I hate to murder our trees, but crepe myrtles are kind of messy.

My thinking was more along the line of him being "allowed" to sign off on his own project..........conflict of interest kind of thing? BUT I bet it will be over done with him doing it as he will make sure it is done RIGHT and then some!

Crape myrtles are so pretty AWAY from a pool! LOL

Kim

so...contractor-on-contractor drama in the back yard, and we are hiding inside! I think our dig is taking more time than they expected because of our access issues, and tempers flared out there. Honestly, went we started this, we weren't even sure it could be done. Did any of you witness this kind of thing?

Unrelated to the drama, we originally planned to make the pool 4-6-4, but modified it to 4-5.5-4 based on the PB and excavators' advice. Here's the final dig. THe skimmer looks like it is a little misplaced -- will be sure its fixed before tomorrow's steel comes in. We have 3 pool returns circulating water -- can't have a misplaced skimmer.

What's left of the old well. Went to the Health Dept today and they have no record of this well. We will fill this with grout, then double up the rebar above.

and I just think this picture is funny. The black pond is the temporary frog/goldfish pond.

Funny. You should have gone right out and videotaped them! Good times. Looks great and I'm sure the excitement is high at your house.

Fussing in the back yard! NOT fun but they will get through it! Time is money so.........so who did the fussing and did they figure out what to do or not do?

Good job on the well. No record of it? Interesting. Must have been from a long time ago. The extra rebar will do the trick for sure!

So any idea WHY they parked their "toy" there? That IS funny!

Skimmer-it should be on the down wind area of your pool. That will "push" the stuff to the skimmer. The returns can be turned in such a way to help push the water around and to the skimmer.

This is a neat build to follow! THANKS!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I find winds in MD to be quite variable. From the north thru west after a cold/cool front but from the south when a Bermuda high sets up.

Looking good.

LOL are you sure the driver left it up on that pile of dirt like that, or did the other contractor put it up there for him because he was still mad. LOL If the other guy put it there for him be sure and have your camera ready in the morning because the other guy's expression will be Priceless. LOL can you just Imagine :shock: would that not be the ultimate prank. Thanks for sharing your awesome build with us.

I think a statement was definitely being made with the loader on the backfill pile, but the effort was wasted because the driver left and never came back! :p

Steel guys showed up at 7:30 -- they are fast & efficient.

Finally, after I hosed down the driveway, there's no evidence that the back yard looks like a tornado hit and no damage to the driveway or house (amazingly). Glad my front yard at least wasn't damaged with the dig!

Inspector Murphy approves!

Helen have you been out there to measure? Is it big enough, long, short, wide, deep, etc. Add about 3 inches for the gunite. NOW is the time to fix anything that is wrong OR you want changed now that you can really see it.

Is your doggy as soft as he looks????? Is that a poodle/lab mix? We have a couple in our neighborhood that are the BEST dogs ever!

Kim

Kim -- how do I do the measurement? From the floor of the pool, or the top of the rebar? To the top or the bottom of the perimeter luan board? If we spec'd 5'6", is that water depth or top of skimmer? HELP!! We're getting 5'11" from the dirt floor to the bottom of the luan board, so subtracting 6-inches puts us at 5'5" of water, if we are figuring this right.

Murphy is an Australian Labradoodle, WONDERFUL dog and yes, extremely soft!

Plumbing is scheduled for bright and early tomorrow morning!

Just a weather geek. Love those high dew points for pool lounging! Bring on the heat. I always loved summer (no matter how hot). It's even better now!

Just hung out "in the Annapolis" (basketball Final Four humor) last weekend. Enjoyable as always.

Good news about your driveway so far. Our asphalt driveway got trashed which wasn't unexpected. Hopefully it holds up for your gunite trucks (or they deliver from the road).

Driveway is 14% -- I think they'll shoot from the street, but who knows?

So my perspective is that the wind either lows UP the Bay or DOWN the Bay -- which way drives where you head, as in, downwind whenever possible :)

From the top of the rebar to the top of your pool. Don't forget to factor in about 3 inches for the plaster. Mostly the measurement is for the ledges (is it big enough for what you want to put there), benches, beach entries, etc. Depth is important also as is the width and such.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.