Pool automation / swg

It would be worth your time to contact polytechpools.com and price out an Intellicenter/IC60 combo. I'm betting the price difference is marginal at best and you'll have the most recent offerings from Pentair. I would gladly opt for the ability to somewhat future-proof my setup as opposed to installing outdated equipment that eventually may not be supported.

It would be worth your time to contact polytechpools.com and price out an Intellicenter/IC60 combo. I'm betting the price difference is marginal at best and you'll have the most recent offerings from Pentair. I would gladly opt for the ability to somewhat future-proof my setup as opposed to installing outdated equipment that eventually may not be supported.

I took your advice and gave them a call.
They want right about $2,600 for the combo.
So it is significantly more expensive.

I have a few months to decide if I'm going to go with the older version or newer version. But I'm glad I have all the info. Thanks

Interesting. They told me there is a 5 relay version and an 8 relay version. The $2,600 they quoted me was for the 5 relays, 2 actuators, and ic60.

He actually told me that right now the combo that they sell only comes with the ic40 so to put in the ic60 they are charging the difference which is about $180 or so.

He did mention that they've gotten only two or three requests for this combination as of yet.

Just realized by reading another thread that the intellicenter has screenlogic functionality built in. So right there that is another $300 to $400. That brings the price much closer.

That said... I can get the intellicenter from them for $1,600 and buy the ic60 separately for about $700. Totaling $2,300 and that will include screenlogic. That would make it a virtual wash.

Any major disadvantage to me doing that?

Edit: that $700 is just for the cell itself. It does not include the power center. Would I need that with the screenlogic? If so that is another $300 so I am back to the same price of $2,600 total. :)

I'm in the same boat. Looking to get an automation system for the spring. I was planning on getting the Easy Touch 8 Function 8SC-IC60 w/ Salt Cell and a wireless ScreenLogic 2 kit. That would be around $2200. Trying to decide if the $400 premium to go to the IntelliCenter would be worth it. I guess it is the newest but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is better. The IntelliCenter does have the fancy valve actuators, but only has 8 relays instead of the 8 in the Easytouch. I suppose you could always expand from 5 to more if needed but its nice to have from the beginning.

Once it's all set up, I don't know if I would even see a difference, as I figured I would most likely control everything from my phone.

I still have a little while to decide myself. I'm still undecided.

Just realized by reading another thread that the intellicenter has screenlogic functionality built in. So right there that is another $300 to $400. That brings the price much closer.

That said... I can get the intellicenter from them for $1,600 and buy the ic60 separately for about $700. Totaling $2,300 and that will include screenlogic. That would make it a virtual wash.

Any major disadvantage to me doing that?

Edit: that $700 is just for the cell itself. It does not include the power center. Would I need that with the screenlogic? If so that is another $300 so I am back to the same price of $2,600 total. :)

Mitch.

You would also need the cell power supply which would be an external one... To me, that is just another box on the wall and not a wise choice.. No matter if you buy the new IntelliCenter or the older EasyTouch, you should buy them with the internal power supply and included salt cell.

If I were to buy a new system today, I would buy the IntelliCenter, just because it is newer.. I believe that the normal pool owner would be hard pressed to find a requirement that the older EasyTouch 8 with IC60 would not do... but in the back of your mind would always be that "what if..." question. :rolleyes:

Just from my experience here, I have found that many, many pool owners never even changed the programming that their pool builder installed 8 years ago..

The only people that "need" the new IntelliCenter are the pool nerds that love to play with this stuff, or someone that has some very unusual requirements.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mitch,

Another option would be for you to buy the standard IntelliCenter with the included IC40.. With a 25K pool, the IC40 will work fine in your location. You would just have to run slightly higher output, but not all that much.

Then when that cell runs out, probably 5 to 8 years, you could buy just the IC60 cell as a replacement cell.

In my mind, kind of the best of both worlds..

Jim R.

Mitch,

Another option would be for you to buy the standard IntelliCenter with the included IC40.. With a 25K pool, the IC40 will work fine in your location. You would just have to run slightly higher output, but not all that much.

Then when that cell runs out, probably 5 to 8 years, you could buy just the IC60 cell as a replacement cell.

In my mind, kind of the best of both worlds..

Jim R.

That is a great idea and will save me about $200. I did not realize you can just upgrade the cell itself when you want to. Thanks. That is what I am leaning towards now.

That is a great idea and will save me about $200. I did not realize you can just upgrade the cell itself when you want to. Thanks. That is what I am leaning towards now.

Mitch,

If you start off with nothing, you have to buy the cell and power supply... Once you have the power supply, which can be standalone or built into the automation, then all you need to replace is the cell. Also.. While most Pentair equipment has a limited DIY warranty, a replacement cell has a full warranty no matter who installs it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.