Oklahoma City, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Greetings All...hope everyone is staying nice and warm!

I was curious if anyone has used an outside motion detector to help protect pets/etc. if/when they fall in the pool? We have a Lifebuoy Alarm and it seems to work fairly well, but when it gets windy (often here in Oklahoma!) it can set it off. One of our dogs is smaller, so we have the sensitivity turned up a little bit. Anyway, we have a self monitored security system that I thought about adding a outdoor motion detector to for a backup. Something like this: Honeywell 5800PIR-OD - Wireless Outdoor Motion Detector and thought maybe someone here has some experience with such a thing.

No specific experience with that model but I think you will be pestered with false alarms.

In my backyard my motion based camera system picks up squirrels, rabbits, cats, and other wildlife passing through.

HeyEng, I'm afraid I don't have that specific system either. We do have six fur-kids, big & small. I recently installed a security camera system which is nice, and of course it has the option for motion notifications. But my experience is that when a pet falls in, there's not much time to react - especially this time of year in cold water. If they don't know the egress (steps) location, they panic quickly. If you're not nearby, it could be too late. So my recommendation may not be ideally what you want to hear, but I'll throw it out there for consideration anyways. Your avatar shows a beautiful landscaping, so you might not want a barrier that can look obtrusive, but for us, nothing was more gratifying than a fence. The physical barrier almost always assures us with confidence that those knuckleheads can't get in there. Hopefully you'll get some more constructive feedback about the system you are asking about. Good luck!

HeyEng, I'm afraid I don't have that specific system either. We do have six fur-kids, big & small. I recently installed a security camera system which is nice, and of course it has the option for motion notifications. But my experience is that when a pet falls in, there's not much time to react - especially this time of year in cold water. If they don't know the egress (steps) location, they panic quickly. If you're not nearby, it could be too late. So my recommendation may not be ideally what you want to hear, but I'll throw it out there for consideration anyways. Your avatar shows a beautiful landscaping, so you might not want a barrier that can look obtrusive, but for us, nothing was more gratifying than a fence. The physical barrier almost always assures us with confidence that those knuckleheads can't get in there. Hopefully you'll get some more constructive feedback about the system you are asking about. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. We have debated fencing and ultimately I think we will do that. I also have a camera that I have up almost all the time (right now it's on my second monitor) and when I hear them go in/out the dog door...I pay attention. But, I also know that we can't be there all the time...and they can be sneaky. I am anxious for pool season so I can get them in there and show them where the steps/ledges are. This little guy already took a bath and wasn't too thrilled with that "adventure". Thankfully, we were right there when he went in, so he wasn't in there more than a few seconds. 20190125_155304.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.