Pool above ground build in hillside with retaining wall

roblawlaw

Jul 30, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hello everyone,

I started in on a grading a pad for a 24' above ground pool this weekend. I purchased the pool used and take down was part of the price. This is my first time attempting a landscaping project of this size so I'm happy for input and advice.

I have a B2301 compact tractor with box blade I used to carve out this hillside to obtain a level pad. I'm almost done digging out the pad, with only about 2" more to remove on the uphill side. I've been scraping with the box blade then checking progress by spinning a long 2x10 with a level mounted to it around a piece of rebar driven in the center of the pad.

My plan is to run a compactor over this area (it's clay) then add crusher dust to perfect the leveling and compact again.

Access to the pool will be from the up hill side. I think I will be building a short retaining wall out of boulders there (2-3 feet), then building a small deck over top that wall at pool level, then grading the further uphill soil to be flush with the small deck. I am planning to add a continuous swale all around the uphill 200 degrees or so to divert water away from the pool.

From what I gather reading the forum, common practice right now is patio stones on compacted soil at the wall upright positions followed by compacted crusher dust up to flush with the those stones? I could borrow a laser transit to really nail those patio stones. This is followed by laying track, erecting the pool wall, then lining the floor with extruded foam cut flush with the walls then the cove then liner. Is there a better way? I've read about some headaches with the patio stones shifting and damaging foam and liners, should they be removed once the crusher dust is compacted and the holes filled with crusher dust? Abandon the stones altogether?

Other questions -

Any uses for the old liner?

What do I do with the outer pool wall at the bottom? Should the entire wall and track be exposed if possible or should I bury it slightly? Would burying it a couple inches improve strength? If yes should it be crusher dust or smooth gravel?

My swales should keep all overland water away from the gap between the pool wall and the retaining wall. So only direct rainfall and snowmelt should reach that area, do I need to bury drainage in/under the crusher dust? Think I can get away with a slight grading of the crusher dust on the uphill side to bring water around the side of the pool to the downhill side?

Any holes in my plan?

I'll post some pictures later today.

Rob

Hi and welcome to TFP!

I can't wait to see the pics! We had one that did almost the same thing. I have not seen an update in a while though.

From what I gather reading the forum, common practice right now is patio stones on compacted soil at the wall upright positions followed by compacted crusher dust up to flush with the those stones?
The top of the pavers should be even with the UNDISTRUBED ground that is the bottom of the pool. This allows the legs plates and rails to be all on the same level surface.
Any uses for the old liner?
Not that I know of :(

The top of the pavers should be even with the UNDISTRUBED ground that is the bottom of the pool. This allows the legs plates and rails to be all on the same level surface.
Hi kimkats, so I dig out paver sized holes into my undisturbed clay and drop the pavers in? Do I then put the crusher dust on top, burying the pavers? Do I need crusher dust? I think I need something as there is sharp shale embedded in my clay where I had to dig deeper into the hill side.

I am doing the same thing kinda, it is for an intext ultra xtr pool, but I still had to dig into the ground to level it off, from what I've seen so far with rain is that only drainage behind the retaining wall is really needed. I also graded the soil at an angle away from the cap on my retaining wall, so only the rain and snow will sit on the pad the pool is on. For my pavers for the legs of the pool I dug down laid a few inches of crushed stone and then some paver base and then my pavers just high enough out of the ground to be even with the top of my foam boards I am putting under the pool.
Once the pool is finally up I am also going to use some sand and make a sloop away from the pool so any water that get on the pad will run away from the pool and also pitch it so that the water will run along the wall and off the lower end into my lawn.20220730_194937.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
dig out paver sized holes into my undisturbed clay and drop the pavers in?
Yeppers! You got it. NOT going to be too fun but needs to happen :(
Do I then put the crusher dust on top, burying the pavers?
Nope. You want the foot plates to sit right now the paver.
Do I need crusher dust?
or a good layer of sand. I am not sure what cursher dust is so I will let you decide.
I think I need something as there is sharp shale embedded in my clay where I had to dig deeper into the hill side.
You can also put down a large tarp as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.