Polynesian Pool Low Hung Liner Replacement

I’ve searched the forum but nothing recent has popped up. I’m going to need a new liner next year. The one that is in there now is 11 years old and is getting a little ugly. The company that installed the pool in 2000 has sold and they won’t service this style pool anymore. They basically won’t even talk to me. They told me to convert it to a concrete bottom and leave the fiberglass sides. That doesn’t sound like a very good idea to me. The pool is fine except for the fiberglass sides are getting dingy and the liner is pretty faded. I’m told the tape to seal the liner to the walls is discontinued and that’s why nobody will make a liner for it.

I’m not in an area that has a lot of pool companies to choose from. I’m in East Central Ohio. If anyone has any advice or companies they can steer me towards I sure would appreciate it. I hate to have to take the pool out just because the liner needs replaced but unfortunately it’s starting to look that way.

Any information or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: Yorkiegirl
I found a few things with a search...

Polynesian Low Hung Liner Pools

low hung liner pool
In addition to the more common swimming pool styles listed above, there is another form of hybrid pool called a "low hung liner" pool, popularized by Polynesian Pools over 50 years ago. The style of this pool was dubious at best, and the design never caught mass market appeal. The design, similar to other hybrid pools, used a different wall material than floor material - in this case fiberglass walls combined with a vinyl liner floor.

To accomplish a waterproof transition point from fiberglass walls to a vinyl liner floor, while underwater, required a liner retainer that is covered by a sealant tape. The sealant tape is the weak part of this design, and any person adept with leak detection knows how easily water will escape a pool system if there are any chinks in the armor, so to speak. Relying on tape for a finished water tight seal, regardless of how excellent the tape is, seems like a poor design to me. Despite this, these low hung liner hybrid pools are out there and there is not a lot of information available to owners of these pools. The information that is available seems to indicate that the sealant tape, previously offered by 3M, is either discontinued or has changed names to a new product. The closest likely product that I was able to find from 3M is their "extreme sealing tape" line which has a 4412N 80 mil tape as well as a 40 mil 4411N version. I can find no information to support that this product will work underwater in a chlorinated environment, however I was able to find information from 3M that indicates this tape can withstand high pressure washing without peeling at the edges, and has built in UV protection.

3M sealant tape
As low hung liners pools age they become harder to work on or recondition. Many of these low hung liner pool will end up being converted to full vinyl liner pools however this is not always an easy process. Over time the fiberglass walls tend to become brittle, and cracks can develop which can be a problem to resolve. The thin and relatively weak wall design also does not accept hardware very well so mounting a traditional vinyl liner coping track can prove challenging as well.

For most low hung liner pools eventually the seam between the vinyl floor and the fiberglass walls will be unable to be sealed, and leaking becomes a constant issue. It can also be challenging for owners of these pools to find people to replace the liner when it comes time as there is no easy solution - either the pool needs to be converted to a full liner pool, or the installer needs to try to work with the low hung liner design. In either case this will take much longer than simply installing a coping and liner on a vinyl pool, and this cost gets passed along to the pool owner.

I found a few things with a search...

Polynesian Low Hung Liner Pools

low hung liner pool
In addition to the more common swimming pool styles listed above, there is another form of hybrid pool called a "low hung liner" pool, popularized by Polynesian Pools over 50 years ago. The style of this pool was dubious at best, and the design never caught mass market appeal. The design, similar to other hybrid pools, used a different wall material than floor material - in this case fiberglass walls combined with a vinyl liner floor.

To accomplish a waterproof transition point from fiberglass walls to a vinyl liner floor, while underwater, required a liner retainer that is covered by a sealant tape. The sealant tape is the weak part of this design, and any person adept with leak detection knows how easily water will escape a pool system if there are any chinks in the armor, so to speak. Relying on tape for a finished water tight seal, regardless of how excellent the tape is, seems like a poor design to me. Despite this, these low hung liner hybrid pools are out there and there is not a lot of information available to owners of these pools. The information that is available seems to indicate that the sealant tape, previously offered by 3M, is either discontinued or has changed names to a new product. The closest likely product that I was able to find from 3M is their "extreme sealing tape" line which has a 4412N 80 mil tape as well as a 40 mil 4411N version. I can find no information to support that this product will work underwater in a chlorinated environment, however I was able to find information from 3M that indicates this tape can withstand high pressure washing without peeling at the edges, and has built in UV protection.

3M sealant tape
As low hung liners pools age they become harder to work on or recondition. Many of these low hung liner pool will end up being converted to full vinyl liner pools however this is not always an easy process. Over time the fiberglass walls tend to become brittle, and cracks can develop which can be a problem to resolve. The thin and relatively weak wall design also does not accept hardware very well so mounting a traditional vinyl liner coping track can prove challenging as well.

For most low hung liner pools eventually the seam between the vinyl floor and the fiberglass walls will be unable to be sealed, and leaking becomes a constant issue. It can also be challenging for owners of these pools to find people to replace the liner when it comes time as there is no easy solution - either the pool needs to be converted to a full liner pool, or the installer needs to try to work with the low hung liner design. In either case this will take much longer than simply installing a coping and liner on a vinyl pool, and this cost gets passed along to the pool owner.

Thanks. I have come across most of those links also. What I need is someone that will actually work on the pool. I spent the better part of yesterday on the phone and no one I talked to will even come out and look at it let alone agree to work on it.
What really makes me mad is the company that installed these pools won’t even talk about them and just says sorry. There are a lot of these pools in my area but no one to work on them. It’s very frustrating.
It’s just unbelievable to me that I’m going to end up filling in a perfectly good pool because the liner is faded and the fiberglass sides need paint. It appears if I lived in the South I would have some companies that have the knowledge to work on these. So far in my area I'm not having any luck.

Couldn't a company put a liner track at the top of the fiberglass and then use a regular liner that covers both the fiberglass top and the bottom of the pool? I know that doesn't help you find someone but it would be a standard liner rather than the low hung. I've never heard of low hung liner pools before so maybe I'm just missing some detail.

Reactions: 514parts
As514 states, nobody wants to be bothered with these liner conversions. I had the regular Polynesian concrete base/acrylic wall pool and the wall panels kept leaking at the seams. Looked to get a full liner replacement for 2 years before I gave up and just had gunite shot inside the existing pool.

Couldn't a company put a liner track at the top of the fiberglass and then use a regular liner that covers both the fiberglass top and the bottom of the pool? I know that doesn't help you find someone but it would be a standard liner rather than the low hung. I've never heard of low hung liner pools before so maybe I'm just missing some detail.
This is what I was hoping someone would do. There are a couple YouTube videos of a guy in Louisiana doing just that. So far I’ve had zero luck finding anyone here that will consider it. I’m a pretty avid do it your selfer but I’m not sure about a pool liner. It might come to that.

As514 states, nobody wants to be bothered with these liner conversions. I had the regular Polynesian concrete base/acrylic wall pool and the wall panels kept leaking at the seams. Looked to get a full liner replacement for 2 years before I gave up and just had gunite shot inside the existing pool.
I guess that would be an option also. I’m not sure anyone around here does that either. It seems I live in a terrible area for pool service.

Did they remove all the fiberglass panels on your pool? I’m afraid to ask how much that cost you. I know concrete is not cheap.

Here you go: Start at post # 79:

They just cut off the top 12 " of the fiberglass wall to put in a new bond beam and built the pool walls inside the fiberglass walls. Because you don't have a full concrete floor, they would essentially have to build a "pool in a pool". Mine was $23,000, your would probably be around $30,000. Bear in mid that, because of the recent codes regarding pool removal, it ain't gonna be cheap just to tear it out.

I Know it can be done very simply. Had it done here 2 years back on a 24500 gallon fiberglass wall/concrete bottom pool. Pool was leaking and drowning the owner with fresh water every day. Found a lone soldier that said he would put in a liner and he followed through. For $4500.00 we got a perfectly fabricated liner with the installation of molding or call it coping for the liner to clip into. He also saw cut the concrete deck and installed a new skimmer and 2 new pool returns. Pool only had one return and he added one more off the same line. Second season on it and all I can say is the pool was unusable without it as the water loss was immense but now it's a real pool. So yes it can be done!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.