Polymeric sand?

lmisko

Jul 22, 2016
Twin Cities, MN
So when we installed our pool last season our landscaper recommended against polymeric sand in between our new paver patio on account of it leaving a haze behind after wetting it. Well, as you can imagine, sand it messy, ants love it, and now my wife is at her wits end. So now We are looking into replacing the paver sand with the polymeric sand. My main question is whether or not pool water will have any effect on the sand once it sets? Has anyone done a emplacement like this themselves? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

We used polymeric from the start - so I did not place it. No issues. Keep some on hand as we get separation occasionally between pavers and the sand 'cracks'. I just pour some more sand in the space, brush it in, and wet it.

Taking out the existing sand could be a chore. I would imagine you will need to vac it out plus dig it out our blow it out with compressed air. Use eye protection and dust masks.

Good luck.

Our pavers were originally installed with polymeric, too. Ants still do their thing. And, at least our sand isn't totally locked down. There's always some in the pool, vacuum bag and on your feet when walking around. As said above there's a little ongoing maintenance required.

Pool water doesn't do much if anything to the sand.

As to removing your sand a pressure washer would probably make quick work of it.

Good point on the ants. We had some too, but our Pest Control company treated the area around the pavers with granules (we have rock over most of our yard, we are in the desert) and they do monthly maintenance and the ants are gone.

Our sand is very solid. Never get it on our feet or in the pool.

Take care.

I can tell you it isn't perfect but it beats loose sand. I've had issues with consistency; some areas are solid as a rock and others just don't set up well and will wash out after XXX number of rainstorms.

As others have said you will need to do annual touch ups but eventually it will all need to be removed and replaced as the patched up sections do not connect well with the original sections.

Ant's will struggle to break through in as many places but they will break through.

I have been doing some more research and that is what I have found. Better than regular sand but not a prefect replacement. I wonder if in my neck of the country it will be affected more by cold winters. I guess we will find out as the wife is pretty adamant. Ha! As long as the pool water doesn't mess with it then I am good with patching spots here and there.

Last edited:
Hi Imisko,

I am new to all of this, and have done some research on poly vs. standard sand for pavers. There is one company that promotes the idea of using standard sand, then pouring in a sealer that soaks through all the sand and pores of the pavers to bond and seal.

You can check it out for yourself, but here is a install company that explains why they prefer this: Paver Sealing by Perfect Paver Co Columbus, Ohio + Indianapolis, IN - YouTube

Good luck!

I have been doing some more research and that is what I have found. Better than regular sand but not a prefect replacement. I wonder if in my neck of the country it will be affected more by cold winters. I guess we will find out as the wife is pretty adamant. Ha! As long as the pool water doesn't mess with it then I am good with patching spots here and there.

I'm in your neck of the woods.

I have polymeric sand between my pavers, pool water hasn't bothered it. My build is one year old, no ants at all, one weed I pulled on Saturday (not sure how it was growing when it was???), and one long crack (following the sand line) where the pavers settled close to a retaining wall. Now that it seems to be done settling I'm going to fill it and seal the pavers for the first time.

I install quite a few pavers with polymeric sand. If I was going to take on that job I would have one of my guys hold a piece of thin osb or plywood along the edge of the pool to keep the sand out while removing it. First though I would spray a matte finish sealer on the pavers to protect them from the haze you spoke of. Once the old sand is out make sure everything is very dry! Place the polymeric sand and tap every paver so that it seats nicely between the pavers. Then with a leaf blower hold it waist high while your helper is holding the board up again and blow the loose sand off before wetting it. To be more precise applying the water to activate the polymer use a low pressure pump sprayer so that you aren't overwatering which leads to puddling and the haze.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: jordanal and Jentu

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would you use one of those large vibrator tampers like when compacting the underlying base? Or some have said a broom handle but we have quite a few pavers of varying sizes and that would prove to be a lot of tapping. I will do what needs to be done regardless. Just curious.

I would not use a vibratory compactor. Any water or moisture underneath could pool and cause low spots not to mention scarring your pavers. I'm afraid a broom handle is the way to go. It is tedious and will make you appreciate the labor you saved. I wouldn't touch it for under $125hr.

Hi all. Our pavers were installed 5 yrs ago with polymeric sand and I can attest that is the only way to go (if done properly) Weed free and no issues from pool water. The base for pavers should absolutely be plate compacted before and after the poly sand is brushed on, as should the pavers (the installer should use something like 1/4" luan as a buffer over the pavers to avoid scratching). As others have mentioned, the polymeric sand should be spread and brushed in, then plate compacted, then brushed in again (as the plate compacting will settle the sand between the pavers as expected). Then it is critical to lightly blow the area clean so that the poly sand is off the paver tops, and then lightly water the sand to create the seal. If done properly, the sand will create a cement like barrier that will be perfect.

As for sealing pavers, as much as my wife would prefer a glossier looking patio, we have avoided it due to:
a. the need to re-apply annually/bi-annually (you should check with your paver brand, as some have a protective coating which sealants will void the warranty)
b. Sealants often create a slick surface, which is obviously not ideal around a pool

Hope some of this info helps.

What's the best process to add sand?...spread, sweep & water?

Some of ours are going on 3 years. The pool area is going on its second year.

Also, anyone seen their sand turn dark (black)? Installed, our sand was a tan color. Some of it is now black. This is happening in areas fully exposed to sun and not under trees...3 year old areas.

Thanks

When I did my non-pool patio, I just duct taped a piece of cardboard to the vibrating compactor at the rental guy's suggestion. Worked fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.