Polaris p380 Problems

Feb 6, 2018
Conroe TX area
Hello,
I am a new pool owner and my pool has a Polaris p380. Anyways, it will not sit flat, and it turns on its side constantly. I have tried adjusting the jet on the back and the sweep hose screw(my sweep hose is also not sweeping, maybe that is related). I will take the hose and set it upright but as soon as it hits a wall it reverts to its side, or it climbs halfway and the bottom stays up as it goes across the pool. Also, the bag is empty and the float does not have any water in it. Thanks for your help!

Re: Polaris p380 Problems

Hello! Welcome to TFP. I'm sorry I don't have a suggestion on what is wrong with your vacuum. You are not the first person to hear my spiel. My vote is to ditch the Polaris a get a robot. In order to run your vacuum, you have to run your pump AND your booster pump, using much more electricity than necessary to clean your pool. To run a robot you plug it in and throw it in (drop it in actually to be safe). Our Dolphin robot (see link in signature) cleans much better than our pressure side vacuum did, which was a similar style to yours. Ours mostly went in big circles, not getting to the shallow end and cleaned poorly. I didn't realize how poorly until I got a robot and the dust-like debris wasn't there anymore. Both captured leaves except that the our old vac only hit less than 1/2 the pool.

When both pumps are off, does the cleaner set upright in the pool with the rear wheel just off of the floor? That's what it is supposed to do.
Hard to say, but it sounds like the vacuum jets are clogged, or there is an issue with the internal plumbing. Possibly a backup valve issue. Should be a relatively quick easy fix for someone who is knowledgeable in the workings of the 380.
I will respectfully disagree with the previous post, who blindly suggested that you ditch the 380 and drop close to a grand on a new cleaner. Those of us who actually work in the industry know that there is no single one size fits all "best" solution to every pool out there.
Take it to a pool shop, or have a tech stop by. It can be as simple as an internal hose popped loose.

So next up would be for you to pull out the owners manual and go over the cleaner with a fine tooth comb looking for what could be causing this. Is something loose? missing?

How old is the cleaner? When did it last work right?

Kim:kim:

Re:  Polaris p380 Problems

When both pumps are off, does the cleaner set upright in the pool with the rear wheel just off of the floor? That's what it is supposed to do.
Hard to say, but it sounds like the vacuum jets are clogged, or there is an issue with the internal plumbing. Possibly a backup valve issue. Should be a relatively quick easy fix for someone who is knowledgeable in the workings of the 380.
I will respectfully disagree with the previous post, who blindly suggested that you ditch the 380 and drop close to a grand on a new cleaner. Those of us who actually work in the industry know that there is no single one size fits all "best" solution to every pool out there.
Take it to a pool shop, or have a tech stop by. It can be as simple as an internal hose popped loose.

Agreed that it is good for pool owners to know their options.

Yes, bmoreswim's post was very helpful to my case. I have taken it apart and checked everything. I don't know exactly how old it is as it was purchased by the previous homeowner. When it is off it does not usually sit upright, and the backup valve works fine. It last worked good in November, so it may be a loose hose or something.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.