Polaris gets caught up in the line

Otis Campbell

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 5, 2013
Lewisville, TX
This is my Polaris every time it runs. I've replaced a couple of the hose swivels and even added one to try to give it more of an opportunity to avoid getting tangled. Yet it still happens every time. As a result coverage and efficacy is poor. I've read about possibly lubricating the swivels but I haven't found a definitive product for that use. What are find is a lubricant for o rings and the like. TIA

IMG_0670.jpg

Couple of ideas.
Take the whole system out of the pool and lay it on the deck in the sun. Get all the kinks out and lay it straight if possible. You can leave the cleaner connected to the hose if you wish.
Measure you overall length of the hose. See picture. You may have too long of a hose thus causing it to tangle

Let us know after this as there are other items such as to how to cut your hoses to the proper length, etc.

I do not know if any lubrication for the swivels. I don't think that is a good idea. If you have bad swivels, best to buy new one.

Polaris Hose Length Guide.PNG

I will do as you suggest but in the meantime I will inform you that I've had this cleaner for 3 years and this is a new problem. I should have included in the original post that I replaced the backup valve earlier this year and there could be a correlation between that and this problem. I did not replace with a Polaris part. I bought a less expensive valve from another manufacturer.

I did not replace with a Polaris part. I bought a less expensive valve from another manufacturer.
I purchased the Airlie G52 backup valve on Amazon and have had great success with it.
With a new backup valve, the bypass and gearing are newer therefore more responsive. So it now could be highlighting other areas that need review - such as hose length.

I will do as you suggest but in the meantime I will inform you that I've had this cleaner for 3 years and this is a new problem. I should have included in the original post that I replaced the backup valve earlier this year and there could be a correlation between that and this problem. I did not replace with a Polaris part. I bought a less expensive valve from another manufacturer.
Back when I had one of those it would do the same thing. I found that adjusting the rear jet to try and keep it rolling straighter rather than turning while rolling on the bottom of the pool helped somewhat. If it drifts toward one direction all the time that can tend to tangle the hose. That cleaner gave me so much trouble...

Reactions: HermanTX
You have two floats too close to the backup valve that I circled in red and green.

It also looks like you have a swivel between the backup valve and the cleaner which should not be there.

The section of the hose from the cleaner to the first swivel must be laid out exactly as shown below. Its overall length needs to be the greatest depth of the pool. You have one section of hose from the cleaner to the backup valve. Then a float after the backup valve about a foot from it. Then another float about 2-3 feet from the first float before the swivel.

Lay your cleaner and hose out float and show me a pic of the layout of your hose to the swivel above the backup valve.

I am also suspicious of your after market backup valve. My experience is genuine Polaris parts work better. It is a finely tuned system that Polaris has properly balanced to work well and small details make a big difference.

1633791020683.png

Polaris twisted.jpg

A lot of great input. I appreciate the help. Let me address things by topic.

Measurements The depth of my pool is 8.5 feet. The leader hose is 8' so a little short. The measurement from the return line to leader hose is around 22' 6". The end line is 21' 7" so rather than being long it seems to be a little short.

Floats I know they are in the wrong place. I moved them up in hopes that they would help the hose stay above the cleaner and would prevent the hose from wrapping around the cleaner. Moving them didn't make things better or worse. I can return them to proper placement.

Extra swivel Yes, I have an extra swivel. I added it, similar to moving the floats, in hopes that an extra swivel would allow the hose to rotate more and avoid tangling. Adding this swivel didn't make things better or worse.

Finally here is the picture that ajw22 requested.IMG_0693.jpg

Here is the way my Polaris is setup.

• Cleaner to backup valve - 30” hose
  • Backup valve to first float - 36”
  • First float to second float - 30”
  • Then swivel
You can see the way the hose sits vertically until on the water surface.

In your pic above I can’t see the cleaner to the backup valve.

E9B549FD-04C7-44A3-8F9F-977424139FDD.jpeg

You should be getting about one rotation of the wheels every 2 seconds. If more, may need a restrictor in the wall fitting.
Make sure the power train is tight and the single side, and front double side wheels are fully engaging.
You may want to try taking the backup valve out and replacing it with a swivel. I have had luck with that in some pools. A lot of times the cleaner can power its way out of corners on its own.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You may want to try taking the backup valve out and replacing it with a swivel. I have had luck with that in some pools. A lot of times the cleaner can power its way out of corners on its own.
That was the answer. Thank you!

I removed the backup valve and replaced it with a swivel. I increased the pump rpm setting for the the Cleaner to 2800 and the Polaris worked like a champ. I ran it again with the rpms set at 2700 and it got all tangled up again. So 2800 is where it is set. I ran the cleaner throughout the day yesterday, its been raining a lot so the pool is a mess, without any issues. I'm getting good coverage and the cleaner easily makes its way up the walls in my 8.5' deep end.

As HermanTX suggested, the aftermarket backup valve does seem to be more efficient and may have just been more powerful than necessary.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.