Polaris Freedom?

I ordered one last night. Should be here next week. Brand new plaster (Lunaquartz) so will have to wait until Day 14 to try it out.
will report on performance even though I don't have anything to compare it to.

Pay no mind to the chemistry advice. It's typical industry stuff that doesn't recognize the FC/CYA relationship. Everyone comes and asks if it's safe over 4 FC because the manual forbids it.

With my 70 CYA that's Defcon-1 low for me. :ROFLMAO:
LOL! Thanks for that! 🥰 Those warnings might have given me pause, or at least worry!🥴 As stated, I’m a 1 year old newbie to TPF and so grateful for the advice and the education I have enjoyed here.

I was disgusted by the constant regrowth the of Algae and inability to use our pool for most of the season because the “Professional Pool Guy” couldn’t get it under control and kept us buying special things like Yellow out, and various clarifiers and algaecides. I am a (now semi retired) RN researcher with a strong Chemistry and Microbiology background and I kept thinking…. This is JUST Chemistry, for goodness sake! There has to be a better way! …So I started research online and finally found TFP and devoured the info… It was obvious to me that the FC/CYA relationship was the Holy Grail I had sought!

I fired the pool guy and took over the testing and treatment of our pool, and lo and behold…. A miracle occurred!
A crystal clear pool in no time! Pretty much with only LB 10% and a bit of Muriatic Acid from time to time.

I am in the process of SLAMing pool now to clear up a light bit of algae that formed on stairs and in one shallow spot when I got overwhelmed with two unexpected, serious and simultaneous issues…
1.) a failed Septic System AND …
2.) Hubby’s medical issues (Serious Bicycle accident)
…thus, I let the FC fall. (Bad Mary!)

Those events are mostly resolved now and I’m back on top of things.

The water is still a bit hazy, but clearing. I haven’t put the new Polaris Freedom in yet, because I do think SLAM FC levels might actually be a bit high for the device. (Please advise if you know it would be fine with SLAM high FC.)

Present CYA is about 40-50, (That little dot reading is so iffy!) so SLAMing at about 20. Have decided to wait until SLAM complete and FC is down to a normal 7.0-8.0 based on my normal (Florida) CYA of 60.

Thanks for that heads up on their silly warning. 🥰 Kind Regards! Mary
I bought this cleaner 2 weeks ago and I do not recommend it, especially at the current price. 1) It does not trap fine dirt (it needs a finer mesh basket to trap finer dirt particles), it rather shoots the dirt back out to settle at the bottom an hour later. 2) I have tried the smart clean mode a couple of times now but it still only covers 80% of my irregular shaped pool, 20% never gets mapped or cleaned. This cleaner needs a better cleaning algorithm or a firmware update before I can give it a thumbs up. A finer mesh basket should be included with this higher priced machine. Still testing . . .
Oh Drat! Thank you! I’ve already bought it and Leslie’s said no return after box opened.🥴. I sure hope I have better results!🤞🏼 if not, I will blow them up with online review for promising it would “brush pool better than I ever could”! Mary

Reactions: newdude
I ordered one last night. Should be here next week. Brand new plaster (Lunaquartz) so will have to wait until Day 14 to try it out.
will report on performance even though I don't have anything to compare it to.
Good luck! I will test out after SLAM complete! Look forward to reading your experiences with it!🥰 Mary

Another "tester" of the Polaris Freedom here. I was tired of the seemingly endless issues with our pressure based cleaner and really was not an advocate of spending the $$ for a robot type unit. Did a ton of research here, there and everywhere. Was leaning to a Dolphin unit I decided to give the Polaris Freedom a go. This decision was after reviewing and discussing these robots with various pool supply stores, pool builders/companies and folks who run their own service company (we follow the TFP methods and I am the pool guy). Key considerations I looked at where:
  • Tread style unit
  • Ease of use / good warranty
  • Med and up sized collection bin and ease of clearing/cleaning
  • Ability to collect leaves along with cleaning
  • Wall/Water line cleaning
  • Storing and size of entire robot and related items
Storage was a key consideration as all units I reviewed came or required an additional purchase or a cart if desired. Most units were larger than expected and with their carts, cords etc. and seemed a bit more of a hassle to deal with. I was able to get the pricing on the sale earlier as well on Polaris.

The Dolphin corded units were my first choice initially until I looked into cordless. Limited choices for sure and as others have said, the cordless option was very tempting. Now had to look at performance (based on corded versions and companies support) and other features. I really wanted a simple unit, no need for iRobot/Roomba room (pool) mapping, cameras, apps to tell it where to go, and so on. With that I decided after about a week to go with the Polaris, and if it did not work out, then so be it, and corded would be the fall back (most likely the Dolphin Nautilus line).

Got the Polaris Freedom, and it was unboxed and set up in no more than 10m. Base is simple, no bigger than the base of the robot, plug in, place robot on charger, set up app and it was ready to go. First run in the pool and it worked far better than the previous pressure based units. Pool is a 25x18 "kidney" shape with spa and is 5.5' deep (approx. 15k gallons). The unit ran its full cycle (2.5 hours timed) did not seem to miss any locations The first run in the pool had a good amount of dirt, leaves etc. due to only manual vacuuming twice over two weeks. Pool was subject to winds, a couple of storms, dog who loves to swim and some spa use). The next two runs were the same as well as a waterline only check. Unit worked as advertised, collected a bit more than I expected especially after running only every other day.

So four runs of the unit, each, with the exception of waterline, running 2.5 hours for total pool (waterline, sides and bottom) and charge time to full within 3 hours (at least based on the unit icon and app). Easy to place into pool, starts once it hits bottom, cleans very well IMHO, comes to side of pool when done (changes locations for a couple of times and waits for pick up - had to 1 time pull it up with the included hook as we were not home), easy to clean basket, wash and towel off to put it back on base. I'm going to say so far, really good. Will post up if issues come up....
Thanks so much for that detailed info! Greatly appreciated! 🥰Mary

I read this as trading in the "kids tripping over the cords and skinning their knees" for "sending my kids down to the deep end to happily retrieve the dead robot". So yes, I see that as a good trade, haha.

Most of my problems with my robot have been with the power center which sits on the pool deck hooked to an extension cord because the robot cord is not long enough to allow it to clean the entire pool when plugged directly into the house. My power center is on the caddy. It has went for a swim twice due to wind just blowing it in the water or the kids tripping on the cords and pulling it in the water. I have literally had to remove the power cable plug and poor water out of it twice now. I also had to replace the robot cable/cord and motor due to water getting into the end that plugs into the robot/motor. Maytronics replaced this under warranty. However, I want to believe that my kids yanking on that cable to remove the robot from the pool when I'm not around did not help the situation. So my hope is removing all those things from the robot will help the reliability of it. If everything is sealed in the robot itself one would hope that all the issues involving the cable and the power center have now been eliminated. There is still the issues of the motors as @JoyfulNoise pointed out., but that will be an issue no matter which model robot I purchase.

I know I am probably being overly optimistic, but my choices are robot, or manually vacuum. So robot it is! Bring on the wireless models!
Enjoyed the clever response! 🏆 🥰

So I picked up the Freedom over the AlphaIQ and am glad I did. A couple of caveats before I go any further this is my first pool and robotic cleaner, so I can not compare it to other models. This will be the first season I will be enjoying my pool. Now with that out of the way, I can personally say the Polaris Freedom is a mighty compact beast!

I ran it on smart cycle, and it had no issues cleaning the floor, walls and waterline! It did it effortlessly and has a powerful cyclonic vacuum that sucks up the grime and dirt in the pool. It could climb two out of my three steps, and you could visually/hear the suction if it popped up above the waterline on a step shooting out all the water at the back. My pool is a rectangle 16 x 30 vinyl salt water pool, and it was able to clean in a little over two hours. The first clean of the pool captured lots of caked on dirt, leaves and other debris sitting at the bottom. Since it was the first clean of this pool, I was worried whether the canister would be big enough (4L) to capture everything. There were no issues with plenty of room left in the canister. The second clean had less to pick up, but I was surprised how much more grime it did pick up. I have no complaints and am highly impressed with its cleaning ability and keeping the pool spotless.

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind. The iAqualink app is great for choosing your cycle and checking the charging status, but once you put the Freedom in the pool, it loses connection to the app, and you can not control your vacuum from your phone. If you choose smart cycle, it will tell you how much time is left and do a countdown in the app that you can monitor. It does send you a notification to your phone for the last 10 minutes of its cycle. However, to receive it correctly, you need to set up your notifications properly on your phone. For instance, on my iPhone, I have notifications to be immediately delivered on the lock screen, notification centre and banner with style set to persistent with show previews set to Always. These settings will ensure that you get the notification to retrieve the cleaner.

My charging station (which is super easy to put together) is set up in my shed. After each run, I use a towel (30 secs) to dry the unit quickly and plop it on the charger. It does take the full 4 hours to charge the unit. Be aware the clear top can easily be scuffed. After my first run, I had to pull the unit out using the hook, but it was raining at night, so I couldn't correctly see the handle. After several attempts, I got it out, but the hook scuffed the top of the clear canister. My fault, but I thought I should let you know.

Overall, I am thrilled with Freedom's build quality and cleaning abilities and am happy that I chose it over the AlphaIQ+. If you want and need a robust smart system where you can schedule and do spot cleaning, this is not the unit for you, but if you will barely be using those features and you want to keep your pool deck clear of a caddy, electrical wire and hose, this is the perfect unit for you. I hope this helps people in their buying decision. If you have any questions, send them my way, and I will attempt to answer them. Now I am just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can start using the pool on a regular basis.View attachment 487354
Thanks so much for taking the time to share this and the photos! Mary 🥰

I would say I will continue to brush and even manual vacuum the pool. A lot due to my habit of enjoying the weekend morning coffee, pool testing, and check of the system. I feel brushing helps regardless of any pool cleaner system moving dirt off areas a cleaner cannot and will/may not get, manual vacuuming for the spa and tight corner areas, and brushing just in case of spot areas that pop up. Pool is always "clean" thanks to regular maintenance and water quality checks, but I can see the robot is making a big difference over the pressure based 280 Polaris we had (RIP after 7 years - and one booster pump)
Not sure I thanked you for your reply… please know it was greatly appreciated! 🥰 Mary

I bought this cleaner 2 weeks ago and I do not recommend it, especially at the current price. 1) It does not trap fine dirt (it needs a finer mesh basket to trap finer dirt particles), it rather shoots the dirt back out to settle at the bottom an hour later. 2) I have tried the smart clean mode a couple of times now but it still only covers 80% of my irregular shaped pool, 20% never gets mapped or cleaned. This cleaner needs a better cleaning algorithm or a firmware update before I can give it a thumbs up. A finer mesh basket should be included with this higher priced machine. Still testing . . .
This is how all Polaris robots are. You have to buy a fine mesh filter, which will get almost everything out of your pool. While it is a mild annoyance to switch filters, I find that the fine mesh filter does a great job getting all the fine silt out of the pool.

Has any information or reviews been posted anywhere regarding the Polaris Freedom cordless cleaner? It's quite pricey, but I was curious to know if it was worth the added expense?

I currently have a Aiper Seagull Pro and am mixed on whether or not to keep it based upon it's performance thus far. I have a few weeks to decide and noticed the Polaris Freedom pop-up in a Leslie's promotional email.

I haven't seen any real prices or dates for the Dolphin Liberty cordless cleaners as well. I'm leaning towards a bigger manufacturer at the moment.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
I actually just purchased one yesterday. Opening my pool this weekend so I can’t wait to try it out! I have a 7 year old Tiger Shark and absolutely hate the cord! It’s so wrapped up and kinked it’s not working well anymore. I’m super excited to have a cordless cleaner. Keep y’all posted!

Reactions: newdude
Anyone know how to get a sale price on this from the $1399 I see at Leslie's online and Amazon? A few have mentioned sales for $50 off, and someone mentioned 10% off, but I don't see that anywhere ? Any thoughts? I'd like to give this a try.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone know how to get a sale price on this from the $1399 I see at Leslie's online and Amazon? A few have mentioned sales for $50 off, and someone mentioned 10% off, but I don't see that anywhere ? Any thoughts? I'd like to give this a try.
10% off was at Leslies and was on for a few days last weekend. I would check again on their website during the upcoming weekend.

I received mine today and just checked with PB if it is safe to use yet. New Wetedge Lunaquartz was installed on Tuesday last week and acid washed the next day and I haven't had any dust but still waiting for his greenlight.

It seems like the 10% off sale might have been short lived. Becuase I ordered mine online from Leslie's the day someone posted about it and got 10% off, but I did notice it's no longer going on. Maybe wait to see if there is a memorial day sale. Not sure about the rebate.

10% off was at Leslies and was on for a few days last weekend. I would check again on their website during the upcoming weekend.

I received mine today and just checked with PB if it is safe to use yet. New Wetedge Lunaquartz was installed on Tuesday last week and acid washed the next day and I haven't had any dust but still waiting for his greenlight.

I would not use any robotic cleaners on any fresh plaster surface for at least 28 days. There’s too much risk of marring or staining the surface.

Reactions: Damsroy
I would not use any robotic cleaners on any fresh plaster surface for at least 28 days. There’s too much risk of marring or staining the surface.
Thank you and clear. They came today and cleaned the pool so no need to put the robot to use for now.

So, I purchased this robot last weekend (on sale at Leslie’s) after owning the Aiper Seagull Pro (and returning it). It feels substantially better built than the Seagull Pro, but it’s also nearly double the price. It does seem to do a pretty good job of cleaning, the only other observation is that it seems to move slower than the Seagull did. I’m not sure this is a negative, but it seems to go at about 50% of the speed of the Seagull.

From the app perspective, it looks like the Freedom can also get firmware updates for the base, robot and battery so this is also a big positive in my opinion. I would also be hopeful that when the time comes that the battery is dead that it could be something that is purchased, though I would guess it would be forced to be serviced at Leslie’s or Polaris themselves since the robot is sealed.

I still plan to take the full 30 days that Leslie’s offers for returns, but so far, I’m leaning towards keeping it. I’d love to hear anyone else that’s bought it’s observations as the weeks pass.

I am very much interested in this topic! I am debating suction side vs. robot and my husband is pretty set on a robot. If the sale goes live again, please let us know in the thread!

I am very much interested in this topic! I am debating suction side vs. robot and my husband is pretty set on a robot. If the sale goes live again, please let us know in the thread!

Show him the price tag and let him know that you’ll be spending that much every 3-5 years on new robots … he might have a change of heart 😉

I don’t know what your yard is like where you are but down here in Tucson my pool gets two things - sun and dust. A suction side cleaner works great. If you have lots of larger debris, then a robot might be the better choice for your pool.

I've been using it 2 days and it's nice. I don't have a vacuum so I had to to pull it out every 30-45 minutes to empty it out. The polaris 9550 we inherited from the previos owner had the E10 error code. Tried new cord and that did not help. Hopefully this will last since there's no cord.

Has any information or reviews been posted anywhere regarding the Polaris Freedom cordless cleaner? It's quite pricey, but I was curious to know if it was worth the added expense?

I currently have a Aiper Seagull Pro and am mixed on whether or not to keep it based upon it's performance thus far. I have a few weeks to decide and noticed the Polaris Freedom pop-up in a Leslie's promotional email.

I haven't seen any real prices or dates for the Dolphin Liberty cordless cleaners as well. I'm leaning towards a bigger manufacturer at the moment.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Hey there! Glad you asked because I was looking for info too.

I've watched a few reviews now on YouTube, and I will share this one with a sweet coupon code!! I think I am sold on this Aiper because it's the only one with 4 motors, beating out pricier brands, and with the coupon it's only $619 on the Aiper website, free shipping, and it has a 2yr warranty. I like value as much as performance, so the price is a factor for me. I should mention also that I had an Aiper 2 years ago that I had to return. I don't recall the model but it was much smaller and I think I paid around $300 for it. It ran for a month or two but then it just stopped charging. They did accept it back and refunded my money with no problems (although I can't recall the company, may have been another company selling Aiper online).

I am interested in all the feedback here, and also your experience with your Seagull Pro. Review with coupon below:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support