Polaris Freedom?

Was hoping someone could answer a question for me on the Polaris Freedcom (if you own one already!) I want to use it to clean ONLY my overflow basin (disappearing edge) which is about 1,600 gallons because it regularly just turns into a giant skimmer with a lot of Crud on the floor of it.

1. Is it possible to set a customized cleaning time of only 15 or 30 minute for a cleaning job? (again the area it cleans is small, 1,600 gallons only, so it doesn't need to run hours --- 15-30 minute is all it should need to clean the given space).

2. Is it possible to turn OFF the 10 minute "come to the surface" after a cleaning job? (I'd rather leave mine in the overflow basin for 3-5 days at a time and not removing it with each job)

3. I'm hoping that with a 15-30 minute customized run time, I can leave it IN the overflow basin for about 3-5 days, running it 1x per day from the App, and without having to remove it every day. Then take it out ever 3-5 days to clean the filter AND put it on the charger. Is that feasible?

If anyone can answer those 3 questions, I'd appreciate it. I spend 15 minutes each day manually vacuuming my overflow basin with my WaterTech cleaner, I just want to save myself 15 minutes every morning by letting the robot clean the overflow basin.

So, I purchased this robot last weekend (on sale at Leslie’s) after owning the Aiper Seagull Pro (and returning it). It feels substantially better built than the Seagull Pro, but it’s also nearly double the price. It does seem to do a pretty good job of cleaning, the only other observation is that it seems to move slower than the Seagull did. I’m not sure this is a negative, but it seems to go at about 50% of the speed of the Seagull.

From the app perspective, it looks like the Freedom can also get firmware updates for the base, robot and battery so this is also a big positive in my opinion. I would also be hopeful that when the time comes that the battery is dead that it could be something that is purchased, though I would guess it would be forced to be serviced at Leslie’s or Polaris themselves since the robot is sealed.

I still plan to take the full 30 days that Leslie’s offers for returns, but so far, I’m leaning towards keeping it. I’d love to hear anyone else that’s bought it’s observations as the weeks pass.
As an FYI… and YMMV… my local guy at nearest Leslie’s in Jacksonville Beach, FL advised me that the 30 day return policy on the Polaris Freedom would only be honored if it was still in an unopened box. Once the box is opened, I get to keep it, name it, & give it a home. I suppose I may as well consider it a new pet!🥰… will keep you all posted. First run was yesterday & it performed well… better than the side pump assisted Polaris 380. Will do a full review after more runs. 💝

Reactions: Newdude
As an FYI… and YMMV… my local guy at nearest Leslie’s in Jacksonville Beach, FL advised me that the 30 day return policy on the Polaris Freedom would only be honored if it was still in an unopened box. Once the box is opened, I get to keep it, name it, & give it a home. I suppose I may as well consider it a new pet!🥰… will keep you all posted. First run was yesterday & it performed well… better than the side pump assisted Polaris 380. Will do a full review after more runs. 💝
Thanks for the feedback. I thought it was odd about the returns as well, but I asked 2 people at the store and said yes it can be returned after opened.

It's doing a good job so far, but the Seagull Pro for 1/2 the price right now is making me second guess if I shouldn't give it another shot until it ultimately dies or not. I would say that the Seagull Pro and Polaris Freedom, for me, are cleaning about the same. My biggest problem with the Seagull was the perceived build quality and overall repairability of it. It felt like the charging point and mode selector looked like to places of failure.

I ordered a Polaris Freedom from Leslie’s and shipping got delayed, so I hopped on Amazon and ordered the Seagull Pro which arrived next day. Seagull Pro cleans my pool as good if not better than the Polaris 5050 it replaced, seems it cleans it with more logic than the random pathing the 5050 did. Now the Freedom just arrived yesterday and I wonder if I should open it and give it a try, and if it’s better return the Seagull. Or just return the Freedom and use the $600 saved to build a pool vacuum.

I bought this cleaner 2 weeks ago and I do not recommend it, especially at the current price. 1) It does not trap fine dirt (it needs a finer mesh basket to trap finer dirt particles), it rather shoots the dirt back out to settle at the bottom an hour later. 2) I have tried the smart clean mode a couple of times now but it still only covers 80% of my irregular shaped pool, 20% never gets mapped or cleaned. This cleaner needs a better cleaning algorithm or a firmware update before I can give it a thumbs up. A finer mesh basket should be included with this higher priced machine. Still testing . . .
The basket itself seems like a pretty fine mesh but I agree it isnt picking everything up. I wonder if its just bypassing the filter somehow.

I think the Polaris Freedom has a General purpose filter to start, see amazon question:

Zodiac answered: There are two filter canisters that will fit the Polaris FREEDOM cleaner: R0897800 Fine filter canister or R0898000 General purpose filter canister

So need to buy the R0897800 Fine filter canister. I see it's an unusually good price at these two places, but I'm in Canada. All the other filters are $100+ so seems like a price error or something:

Anyway maybe one of you can pick it up and see if it helps?

Was hoping someone could answer a question for me on the Polaris Freedcom (if you own one already!) I want to use it to clean ONLY my overflow basin (disappearing edge) which is about 1,600 gallons because it regularly just turns into a giant skimmer with a lot of Crud on the floor of it.

1. Is it possible to set a customized cleaning time of only 15 or 30 minute for a cleaning job? (again the area it cleans is small, 1,600 gallons only, so it doesn't need to run hours --- 15-30 minute is all it should need to clean the given space).

2. Is it possible to turn OFF the 10 minute "come to the surface" after a cleaning job? (I'd rather leave mine in the overflow basin for 3-5 days at a time and not removing it with each job)

3. I'm hoping that with a 15-30 minute customized run time, I can leave it IN the overflow basin for about 3-5 days, running it 1x per day from the App, and without having to remove it every day. Then take it out ever 3-5 days to clean the filter AND put it on the charger. Is that feasible?

If anyone can answer those 3 questions, I'd appreciate it. I spend 15 minutes each day manually vacuuming my overflow basin with my WaterTech cleaner, I just want to save myself 15 minutes every morning by letting the robot clean the overflow basin.
Just wanted to re-check if anyone can answer these questions for me?

Just wanted to re-check if anyone can answer these questions for me?
I do not have the pool set up you have so I cannot relate but hopefully can answer some of your questions. I have included screen shots of the app views to show the limited cycles and ability to customize. Perhaps with time the app and system will be updated.
1. No, the only options are bottom cleaning cycle (we I assume is less time), and full cleaning cycle which is bottom and waterline, , and waterline only (see image of app).
2. It only does this 2-3 times then goes to the bottom of the pool, I do get an alert on my phone via the app. The unit comes with a hook to nab it from the bottom when done. It is not recommended to leave in the pool for extended times per the manual, cleaning time only, but I am sure it would be fine for more time in the water if you were away.
3. No customized run times available, and no scheduling. you have to start the unit from app on on the unit outside of pool, and place into pool. See above...

It looks like your manual vacuuming of the overflow would still be required if needed. Image 1 (Main Screen), Image 2 (Cleaning Mode Screen)

IMG_8141.PNGIMG_8142.PNG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@maddscot Very helpful info. Yeah maybe that wouldn't quite work for my specific application. But still good to know, thanks for sharing!

Did any one buy these or has anyone found the fine mesh filter compatible with the Freedom?
I bought one but they sent the wrong filter inside it had a boxy part instead of half round. They reordered I’m waiting on it

It does appear this one will be it, looks identical to the one that comes with it:

After now a month of use i can report that I'm extremely happy with the Polaris freedom.

I will preface this by saying this is my first pool and my first robotic cleaner so i have nothing to compare it with.

I run the floor mode every other days or so and the floor wall mode once a week.

So far it has worked perfectly and clean the pool without missing any spots. It climbs the stairs but in any case before any session i brush the stairs and push the debris into the pool.

I also put it in the spa a few times which was successful but I figure it only takes 5 minutes manually vacuuming the spa so this is just what i do one a week.

The Freedom never got stuck anywhere and for my regular rectangular pool has performed above my expectations.

Now time will tell how long this honeymoon last....since it is a pretty expensive option.

Last edited:
I've used my Freedom 3 times now and I am verry happy with it. First robot, so nothing to compare it to. It hasn’t missed anything on the floor during its clean. It climbs the walls with ease.

It completely turtled itself on its back cleaning my steps and was able to flip itself back over. It goes up on our 6" deep sunshelf, then stops because it loses water, but then about 5 seconds later it backs up and drops back into the pool. The only negative I've found is it completed its cycle on the sunshelf one time, which means I can either only run the wall cycle when I am home or at night. I wouldn’t want it sitting on the shelf baking in the sun for too long.

I have the freedom. It’s nice. Charges in a couple hours. You get a push notice at the end of the cleaning cycle. Gets smaller than sand level debris. It says it must be dry to charge but I hear if you just wipe off the bottom with a towel or even don’t that it still charges just fine. Climbs the walls does the waterline. I have a safety ledge that it doesn’t quite clean and some steep curved corners in the deep end that it doesn’t usually get to. I brush for 2 minutes in those areas and throw it in and it works like a champ. I don’t use my leaf grabber anymore. Just throw in the bot and walk away.

Hi All

Anyone care to share any updates on their experience with the Freedom? My booster pump AND 280 are pretty much done so I’m in the market and considering the freedom or the P40.

My opinion (post #96) has not changed after a full season of use. Very good product for my usage.
Having said that no one can really comment on durability since this model is only a year old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support