Polaris Freedom?

Another "tester" of the Polaris Freedom here. I was tired of the seemingly endless issues with our pressure based cleaner and really was not an advocate of spending the $$ for a robot type unit. Did a ton of research here, there and everywhere. Was leaning to a Dolphin unit I decided to give the Polaris Freedom a go. This decision was after reviewing and discussing these robots with various pool supply stores, pool builders/companies and folks who run their own service company (we follow the TFP methods and I am the pool guy). Key considerations I looked at where:
  • Tread style unit
  • Ease of use / good warranty
  • Med and up sized collection bin and ease of clearing/cleaning
  • Ability to collect leaves along with cleaning
  • Wall/Water line cleaning
  • Storing and size of entire robot and related items
Storage was a key consideration as all units I reviewed came or required an additional purchase or a cart if desired. Most units were larger than expected and with their carts, cords etc. and seemed a bit more of a hassle to deal with. I was able to get the pricing on the sale earlier as well on Polaris.

The Dolphin corded units were my first choice initially until I looked into cordless. Limited choices for sure and as others have said, the cordless option was very tempting. Now had to look at performance (based on corded versions and companies support) and other features. I really wanted a simple unit, no need for iRobot/Roomba room (pool) mapping, cameras, apps to tell it where to go, and so on. With that I decided after about a week to go with the Polaris, and if it did not work out, then so be it, and corded would be the fall back (most likely the Dolphin Nautilus line).

Got the Polaris Freedom, and it was unboxed and set up in no more than 10m. Base is simple, no bigger than the base of the robot, plug in, place robot on charger, set up app and it was ready to go. First run in the pool and it worked far better than the previous pressure based units. Pool is a 25x18 "kidney" shape with spa and is 5.5' deep (approx. 15k gallons). The unit ran its full cycle (2.5 hours timed) did not seem to miss any locations The first run in the pool had a good amount of dirt, leaves etc. due to only manual vacuuming twice over two weeks. Pool was subject to winds, a couple of storms, dog who loves to swim and some spa use). The next two runs were the same as well as a waterline only check. Unit worked as advertised, collected a bit more than I expected especially after running only every other day.

So four runs of the unit, each, with the exception of waterline, running 2.5 hours for total pool (waterline, sides and bottom) and charge time to full within 3 hours (at least based on the unit icon and app). Easy to place into pool, starts once it hits bottom, cleans very well IMHO, comes to side of pool when done (changes locations for a couple of times and waits for pick up - had to 1 time pull it up with the included hook as we were not home), easy to clean basket, wash and towel off to put it back on base. I'm going to say so far, really good. Will post up if issues come up....

Hello! I am considering the Polaris Freedom. My hubby hates brushing the pool, so I am wondering if this Polaris Freedom will take the place of manual brushing 1-2 times per week? FYI...I think this may be my first post, but I am a TFP member & subscriber, and the awesome info here on TFP has been a blessing & a game changer! Thanks to everyone! (Details - North Florida Inground pool of 15000 gal, Steps & a swim out, maintained with Liquid Bleach, 10%) Thanks, Mary

P.S. We presently have a 6 month old Polaris 380 supported by a secondary polaris pump. It has twice been to the repair shop because it was clogged deep inside with a "small amount of sand like debris". Not pleased... with that little problem. Thanks again, Mary

Hello! I am considering the Polaris Freedom. My hubby hates brushing the pool, so I am wondering if this Polaris Freedom will take the place of manual brushing 1-2 times per week? FYI...I think this may be my first post, but I am a TFP member & subscriber, and the awesome info here on TFP has been a blessing & a game changer! Thanks to everyone! (Details - North Florida Inground pool of 15000 gal, Steps & a swim out, maintained with Liquid Bleach, 10%) Thanks, Mary
I would say I will continue to brush and even manual vacuum the pool. A lot due to my habit of enjoying the weekend morning coffee, pool testing, and check of the system. I feel brushing helps regardless of any pool cleaner system moving dirt off areas a cleaner cannot and will/may not get, manual vacuuming for the spa and tight corner areas, and brushing just in case of spot areas that pop up. Pool is always "clean" thanks to regular maintenance and water quality checks, but I can see the robot is making a big difference over the pressure based 280 Polaris we had (RIP after 7 years - and one booster pump)

Reactions: westiealabama
Thank you very much for that information. I am pleased to hear that the robot is making a difference. Our 280 was a hard working machine that worked for about 5 years or more. The 380 is not as good.
Can you recommend a pool vacuum? We don’t have one. It might be just the ticket for our stair area. Thanks!

Thank you very much for that information. I am pleased to hear that the robot is making a difference. Our 280 was a hard working machine that worked for about 5 years or more. The 380 is not as good.
Can you recommend a pool vacuum? We don’t have one. It might be just the ticket for our stair area. Thanks!
Though I feel brushing is always needed as at least a weekly minimum, I vacuum monthly via the skimmer method and a cover over the basket to catch larger items if any. More for steps and wading areas and spa as the robot cleaner does not get to these. Pretty simple to do and a few YouTube videos on it. I simply place the vacuum attachment (see link - there a many cheaper/different ones) onto the pool pole, a pool hose that can reach all areas, and attach the hose to the vacuum tool. Then a skimmer cover with hose attached on the other end. Then prime the hose by filling with water (or you can use a jet that comes into your pool to fill) and once primed cover the skimmer end with a hand and place into the skimmer basket. This will create the draw from the skimmer as well as keep any items picked up from going to your filter as they are trapped by the skimmer basket. Keep the vacuum end under water or you may/will lose suction. Again with a good robot cleaner you may not feel the need to do this anymore, but for me it is a morning coffee and pool ritual.

Has any information or reviews been posted anywhere regarding the Polaris Freedom cordless cleaner? It's quite pricey, but I was curious to know if it was worth the added expense?

I currently have a Aiper Seagull Pro and am mixed on whether or not to keep it based upon it's performance thus far. I have a few weeks to decide and noticed the Polaris Freedom pop-up in a Leslie's promotional email.

I haven't seen any real prices or dates for the Dolphin Liberty cordless cleaners as well. I'm leaning towards a bigger manufacturer at the moment.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
You can find some reviews on the Polaris Facebook page as well as on their website and a video review by the Pool Guy here:

For some reason I thought that Polaris and Dolphin are basically variations of the same thing with different labels on them (like rebranded with a few differences to make them different to the consumer), so I'm not surprised that they release at the same time.

Thinking about trading in the "tangled cord" pains for a "robot stuck at the bottom of the pool with a dead battery" pains. :)

Found this comparison for anyone looking for more information on the versions of the Maytronics offerings:

Clipped here in case the link dies down the road:
View attachment 485838
Polaris and Dolphin are completely different and owned by different companies. Polaris is under the Fluidra name and only makes Polaris brand cleaners while Dolphin is from Maytronics

Another "tester" of the Polaris Freedom here. I was tired of the seemingly endless issues with our pressure based cleaner and really was not an advocate of spending the $$ for a robot type unit. Did a ton of research here, there and everywhere. Was leaning to a Dolphin unit I decided to give the Polaris Freedom a go. This decision was after reviewing and discussing these robots with various pool supply stores, pool builders/companies and folks who run their own service company (we follow the TFP methods and I am the pool guy). Key considerations I looked at where:
  • Tread style unit
  • Ease of use / good warranty
  • Med and up sized collection bin and ease of clearing/cleaning
  • Ability to collect leaves along with cleaning
  • Wall/Water line cleaning
  • Storing and size of entire robot and related items
Storage was a key consideration as all units I reviewed came or required an additional purchase or a cart if desired. Most units were larger than expected and with their carts, cords etc. and seemed a bit more of a hassle to deal with. I was able to get the pricing on the sale earlier as well on Polaris.

The Dolphin corded units were my first choice initially until I looked into cordless. Limited choices for sure and as others have said, the cordless option was very tempting. Now had to look at performance (based on corded versions and companies support) and other features. I really wanted a simple unit, no need for iRobot/Roomba room (pool) mapping, cameras, apps to tell it where to go, and so on. With that I decided after about a week to go with the Polaris, and if it did not work out, then so be it, and corded would be the fall back (most likely the Dolphin Nautilus line).

Got the Polaris Freedom, and it was unboxed and set up in no more than 10m. Base is simple, no bigger than the base of the robot, plug in, place robot on charger, set up app and it was ready to go. First run in the pool and it worked far better than the previous pressure based units. Pool is a 25x18 "kidney" shape with spa and is 5.5' deep (approx. 15k gallons). The unit ran its full cycle (2.5 hours timed) did not seem to miss any locations The first run in the pool had a good amount of dirt, leaves etc. due to only manual vacuuming twice over two weeks. Pool was subject to winds, a couple of storms, dog who loves to swim and some spa use). The next two runs were the same as well as a waterline only check. Unit worked as advertised, collected a bit more than I expected especially after running only every other day.

So four runs of the unit, each, with the exception of waterline, running 2.5 hours for total pool (waterline, sides and bottom) and charge time to full within 3 hours (at least based on the unit icon and app). Easy to place into pool, starts once it hits bottom, cleans very well IMHO, comes to side of pool when done (changes locations for a couple of times and waits for pick up - had to 1 time pull it up with the included hook as we were not home), easy to clean basket, wash and towel off to put it back on base. I'm going to say so far, really good. Will post up if issues come up....
Thank you! Great info and I truly appreciate the detail you provided! That took some time and I am really grateful! Mary

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. Just ordered mine. Trusting the reviews, because I won't be able to test it within 30 days. Pool still under construction.

Thanks so much!!!
Mary
Today, I took the plunge… in the deep end!
Purchased the Polaris Freedom at Leslie’s…10% off so final cost $1259.10 plus 94.43 tax(7.5%) for $1353.53… a savings of a bit over $150 accounting for tax…

I had to drive over an hour each way to get there. We have a nearby Pinch A Penny, but they do not have the same discount and will not price match. … so ROAD TRIP!

Too tired and late to try it tonight. I will read instructions in the morning (yes, I’m one of those🥰) and then give it a go.

After a couple of weeks, I will share my thoughts, or sooner if it is miraculous!😇

Thanks again, Damsroy, for the heads up on the sale, and to all the TFP geniuses who share their knowledge! Mary

Today, I took the plunge… in the deep end!
Purchased the Polaris Freedom at Leslie’s…10% off so final cost $1259.10 plus 94.43 tax(7.5%) for $1353.53… a savings of a bit over $150 accounting for tax…

I had to drive over an hour each way to get there. We have a nearby Pinch A Penny, but they do not have the same discount and will not price match. … so ROAD TRIP!

Too tired and late to try it tonight. I will read instructions in the morning (yes, I’m one of those🥰) and then give it a go.

After a couple of weeks, I will share my thoughts, or sooner if it is miraculous!😇

Thanks again, Damsroy, for the heads up on the sale, and to all the TFP geniuses who share their knowledge! Mary
Also, the salesman at Leslie’s said I should apply online for the $50 rebate, but advised they only give rebate on full price sales… so i should type Leslie’s in the comments. Unknown if they will honor the discount in this case.

I will read instructions in the morning (yes, I’m one of those🥰)
Pay no mind to the chemistry advice. It's typical industry stuff that doesn't recognize the FC/CYA relationship. Everyone comes and asks if it's safe over 4 FC because the manual forbids it.

With my 70 CYA that's Defcon-1 low for me. :ROFLMAO:

I bought this cleaner 2 weeks ago and I do not recommend it, especially at the current price. 1) It does not trap fine dirt (it needs a finer mesh basket to trap finer dirt particles), it rather shoots the dirt back out to settle at the bottom an hour later. 2) I have tried the smart clean mode a couple of times now but it still only covers 80% of my irregular shaped pool, 20% never gets mapped or cleaned. This cleaner needs a better cleaning algorithm or a firmware update before I can give it a thumbs up. A finer mesh basket should be included with this higher priced machine. Still testing . . .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support