Walnut Creek, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I think I’ve read every posting regarding help with the Polaris backup valve.

Mine also has water coming out of it when it’s supposed to be going forward, which means the sweep doesn’t work so good either.
I saw someone say that they put a hammer to it (20 times) and it did open? Was that a rubber mallet you hit it with or a regular hammer?
I have had these apart before, not sure which one it was, because I’ve had several. And yes, when I put it back together I use the Teflon grease, and why it doesn’t help to open it, is beyond me.
I’ve even tried the two rubber strap removers, and that didn’t work either.
So, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Mine also has water coming out of it when it’s supposed to be going forward, which means the sweep doesn’t work so good either.
I saw someone say that they put a hammer to it (20 times) and it did open? Was that a rubber mallet you hit it with or a regular hammer?
I have had these apart before, not sure which one it was, because I’ve had several. And yes, when I put it back together I use the Teflon grease, and why it doesn’t help to open it, is beyond me.
The top can be finicky. I have had 2 break due to exposure to chlorine, etc. Tapping on it could easily crack the top. You could take it off the hose, turn it upside down and fill the top with oil and let it sit for a while. That may help loosen up the top thread. I find it best just to purchase a new one.
I purchased the Airlie Upgraded G52 Backup Valve on Amazon 3 years ago and still working great. however, I see it is no longer available.

There are a couple of generic back-up valve on Amazon that work well for as little as $30.00. Less than just the empty Polaris valve housing.

Last edited:
YEAH!! I finally got the backup valve apart!
I soaked it in hot water, hit it probably 20+ times with a rubber mallet, tried the rubber straps, no go.
Soaked it again in hot water, hit it with the rubber mallet again, 20+ times. Grabbed the two rubber straps in opposite directions and had my foot on the narrow flat side of the bottom and finally got it apart. OMG, why does it have to do this?!? I think that Polaris needs to do a little bit of research to modify this Backup valve!
Cleaned the inside/outside completely with Dawn dish soap and a toothbrush inside and out.
Then I decided while I had it apart, I took the white guts apart, gear by gear, washed/brushed with Dawn and it even had a bit of Teflon residue inside. No rocks or sand inside if it, so not sure how come I had water coming out if it when it was supposed to be going forward.
Put it all back together, Teflon on the screw edge and a little bit on the top edge where the top edge is inside of the ring. Made notes of what it took me to do this for next time it happens!
Anyway, I will try it again tomorrow, if it’s not raining again to see if it works!
Wish me luck!

The top can be finicky. I have had 2 break due to exposure to chlorine, etc. Tapping on it could easily crack the top. You could take it off the hose, turn it upside down and fill the top with oil and let it sit for a while. That may help loosen up the top thread. I find it best just to purchase a new one.
I purchased the Airlie Upgraded G52 Backup Valve on Amazon 3 years ago and still working great. however, I see it is no longer available.
Do they make the G52 in Black?

YEAH!! I finally got the backup valve apart!
I soaked it in hot water, hit it probably 20+ times with a rubber mallet, tried the rubber straps, no go.
Soaked it again in hot water, hit it with the rubber mallet again, 20+ times. Grabbed the two rubber straps in opposite directions and had my foot on the narrow flat side of the bottom and finally got it apart. OMG, why does it have to do this?!? I think that Polaris needs to do a little bit of research to modify this Backup valve!
Cleaned the inside/outside completely with Dawn dish soap and a toothbrush inside and out.
Then I decided while I had it apart, I took the white guts apart, gear by gear, washed/brushed with Dawn and it even had a bit of Teflon residue inside. No rocks or sand inside if it, so not sure how come I had water coming out if it when it was supposed to be going forward.
Put it all back together, Teflon on the screw edge and a little bit on the top edge where the top edge is inside of the ring. Made notes of what it took me to do this for next time it happens!
Anyway, I will try it again tomorrow, if it’s not raining again to see if it works!
Wish me luck!
There is 1 oring on that little arm that goes into the side port. If that is cut or busted, then water will continue to flow out of that port regardless if in clean position or in backup position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.