Polaris 65 - In Ground Pool?

pjstevens10

May 19, 2020
Wakefield, MA
I was gifted a Polaris 65 for Christmas this year. The package references that it is for ABOVE ground pools... I have an IN ground pool and haven't been able to find much that says it won't work...

1.) Will the Polaris 65 work properly in an in ground pool? Or do I need to buy an in-ground specific vacuum?
2.) I only have one return. Would you advise having a pool vacuum (that runs off that return)?

Thanks all.

Can you advise if you have had any previous cleaner for the pool or have you just used a manual vacuum?
You also mention that you only have 1 return going into the pool. Can you confirm that as that seems unlikely as you have 18,000 gals. I would think (hope) you have 3 returns.
Also, how many skimmers are in the pool.
I am not familiar with Polaris 65 but it does state it is good to a maximum depth of 5ft. What is the depth of your pool?

I was gifted a Polaris 65 for Christmas this year. The package references that it is for ABOVE ground pools... I have an IN ground pool and haven't been able to find much that says it won't work...

1.) Will the Polaris 65 work properly in an in ground pool? Or do I need to buy an in-ground specific vacuum?
2.) I only have one return. Would you advise having a pool vacuum (that runs off that return)?

Thanks all.

1. Not well. And it won't work at all in areas deeper than 5'. Yes, return that model and buy a cleaner more suited to your pool. But...

2. To my knowledge, there are few if any cleaners for an in-ground pool that can run off of a regular pool return. I don't think they will do a good job, anyway. I was talked out of one when I was shopping for a vac. And I think they require a dedicated port (only one coming from the pump). As Herman mentioned, it seems improbable that you only have one return. There wouldn't be enough flow (pressure) from a regular return to run a vac if there were other active returns on the same line.

You'd be much better off running a suction-side vacuum from your skimmer's suction port. But then you have to deal with hooking up the hose each time. Or forgo either return or suction port and buy a robot, which doesn't use either and instead plugs into a 120VAC outlet and cleans your pool without using your pool's pump or filter.

@Jimrahbe, what's the robot you recommend?

Last edited:
Thanks Herman and Dirk.

You are correct, I have 2 returns but one of them doesn't work... and just one skimmer. Pool depth is 4 feet all around. Last summer we used a manual vac that hooked up to the skimmer.

The robot idea is interesting - I don't know much about them (we just bought this house last year - first pool for me). Any recommendation on a good value robot would be appreciated.

I don't know much about robots either. In the same way you used your skimmer port to run a manual vac, you can connect a suction-side vac, like my Pentair Rebel, and let it run around for a few hours whenever you need to. It's not as convenient as one that attaches to a dedicated suction port, but it would still beat pushing a manual vac around. @Jimrahbe has a favorite robot, but he's ignoring me. So we'll have to wait for others to chime in about their recommendations. Or you could start a new thread and ask that question there. Or search the forum, as it's likely others have already asked that question.

Last edited:
Pentair makes a pressure-side vac that doesn't require a booster. If you only have one working return, and a strong enough pump, maybe that could work for you. But as I mentioned, I was talked out of that by the guy that sold me my Rebel, citing the "non-booster" vacs don't work all that well. I don't like pressure-side cleaners for other reasons, too (stupid tail that can spray out of the pool, checking and emptying little on-board bag).

Reactions: pjstevens10
You are correct, I have 2 returns but one of them doesn't work... and just one skimmer.
Maybe we can help with the return issue. Why does 1 work and the other does not? Do both have an "eye ball" on the wall of the pool? Is one stronger flow than the other or is it one flows and the other has no flow? Maybe, if you wish, make a birdseye view layout of your pool and show us the placement of the returns, the single skimmer and where the equipment pad is located relative to your pool. Also, is the equipment pad level with your pool or is one higher than the other? If so, by how much height difference?
Also, you could take a picture (s) of your equipment pad to show us how it is set up.

The robot idea is interesting - I don't know much about them (we just bought this house last year - first pool for me). Any recommendation on a good value robot would be appreciated.
See the attachment. Contact Marina Spa (noted at the top of the page of this attachment). This will provide you some guidelines on possible cleaner robots.

Attachments

• Robotic-Cleaner-Comparisons-2020.pdf
    271.9 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.